• This topic has 31 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wzzzz.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • CX/700c tyres with solid centre line
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Can only seem to find WTB Nanos – anything else?

scotroutes

Landcruisers

MrBlond
    Free Member

Landcruisers + 1

federalski
    Free Member

Schwalbe Smart Sam

molgrips
    Free Member

Landcruisers very heavy though. Would prefer folding, don’t need puncture protection etc…. Tread wise thought both those look great.

scotroutes

Ah – now you’re modifying your requirements….

molgrips
    Free Member

Refining, scotroutes.. refining.

Seems to be loads of stuff available but ONLY in heavy wire beaded puncture proof versions..

45c or more preferred.

qwerty
    Free Member

WTB Nano

qwerty
    Free Member

Doh!…

scotroutes

Solid centreline is usually marketed at the leisure / casual user as it re-assures them that there’s less rolling resistance. I reckon that’s why the tyres tend to be heavy/cheap.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I’ll give up on 700c, looks like 29×2.1 or 2.0 is going to be best. Way more choice in what I want.

The reason I want solid centre line is because I think it’ll wear less on road.. but there are quite a few nearly solids like Crossmarks. Sounds like Nanos don’t wear that well anyway.

BillOddie

Clement Xplor USH.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Halo twin rail

tang
    Free Member

I’ve got those vee rails 1.75 set up on the crosser, pretty good. Tiny bit of overlap at 45c, more of a buzz. The nano have a better centre line though.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a pair of the Challenge Gravel Grinders and they are 38c good enough off the road and great on the road – well worth a try.

fifeandy
    Free Member

What application is it for?
    Gravel bike? MTB that you ride on road as well?
    Do you have any other requirements than not heavy, long lasting and >45c?

molgrips
    Free Member

Rigid 29er that currently does mixed road/off road without rocks or roots. I’m taking it to the US this summer where it might be called upon to do road duties with some friends who ride road.

I’ve only got two sets of tyres: Spesh butcher/purgatory for normal MTB and some Bontrager Team Issue race things that have a sort of centre line but are 2.35s. I’m now wondering if I should just get some actual road tyres if I do need to go on a road ride, then change to the Bonties for the mixed stuff. I don’t like them that much so if I wear them out then good 🙂

Or, just not worry about it and have the roadies wait for me. Or just train more and be so awesome that they can’t keep up with me anyway.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’d go with something like a race king 2.2. Inflate to 50psi for the road and let air out again for your mixed ride. The black chilli compound seems to tolerate road abuse quite well. Got >1k miles on my Xkings, and they will probably die due to cuts before the tread wears out.

lardman
    Free Member

spesh trigger pro, has a fairly solid centerline

franki
    Free Member

That’s a Conti CX Speed in the photo…

wzzzz
    Free Member

Boom, I ride these:

700 x 42c Soma Cazadero

Folding, black or skin wall, 510g. Finest quality, made by Panaracer in japan.

I bought them in the states, but veto vitality here can get them:
    https://www.velovitality.co.uk/products/soma-cazadero-tyre-700c-x-42mm

fifeandy
    Free Member

They are also spectacular puncture magnets – on paper they look great, but had 2 work colleagues try to commute on them, and punctures were a daily occurrence for both.

tang
    Free Member

Mike Hall seems to have the vee rail on his Pivot. Wonder if he’s doing the divide on them.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 for file tread CX/gravel tyre rather than solid centre line which tends to be the preserve of cheap commuter tyres. Currently got Challenge Alamanzos on my CX bike as they were silly cheap at P-X, doing lots of mixed on/off road rides and they are spot on.

Negligible rolling resistance on tarmac, useful off road when dry.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The answer is Maxxis Raze :

scotroutes

Raze: not the most robust tyre. My record is three punctures in less than ten miles 🙂 Nice otherwise. I’ve been putting up with their failing.

lardman
    Free Member

@franki
    Yes, yuo are quite right. I dint spot that. Just searched for an image, but its pretty close.

@fifeandy
    Not had a puncture in 2 years of gravel leisure ride/commuting on tarmac/light offroad. i do run them tubeless tho’, so maybe thats why. Good job i haven’t actually, as they’re total buggers to get on-off rims.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

700 x 42c Soma Cazadero

Ooo they look interesting. Don’t suppose you’ve ridden nanos to compare on / off road?

I’m generally happy with the nanos but they do seem to wear fast on the tarmac bits

OCB
    Free Member

I’ve come to quite like the Schwalbe Smart Sam’s on my Peregrine (47-622 or ’28’ x 1.75’s). They seem to roll quite nicely on tarmac with a bit of pressure in them.

They’ve not proved to be especially robust riding through the stuff left after hedge flailing tho’ – but that’s a pretty tough test for anything …

tang
    Free Member

Maxxis Rambler looks pretty good. Nice and light/tubeless (tubeless is essential I think for this sort of thing)

wzzzz
    Free Member

Ooo they look interesting. Don’t suppose you’ve ridden nanos to compare on / off road?

I’m generally happy with the nanos but they do seem to wear fast on the tarmac bits

This guy has tested both in many conditions:

http://ridinggravel.com/gravel-news/soma-fabs-cazadero-42mm-tires-at-the-finish/
    http://ridinggravel.com/gravel-news/wtb-nano-40-tcs-tires-at-the-finish/

They are more road biased than the Nano. Probably a great choice if you are looking to be faster on the road with better wear than Nano, and are willing to compromise some off road ability for it. Quite a few people set them up tubeless.

I would warn away from heavy stiff tyres like land cruisers if you want to enjoy riding your bike. Go for high volume, supple casings and lightweight.

The high TPI version of the Clement MSO might be a shout too, but thats 40c.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘CX/700c tyres with solid centre line’ is closed to new replies.