Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • CX – disc comp forks, etc
  • Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Hi.

I’ve a CX frame, I’m trying to source some forks for. I intend to fit disc brakes, so any fork I get must have a caliper mount.

Therefore, I’m looking for suggestions on which fork and where from.

I know of the Kona P2 fork, but I saw an example of these fitted to a Merlin frame recently. It didn’t look right, I think Kona have just modified an MTB specific design to fit a road/CX style frame. Anyway, the P2 is not for me.

So, any useful suggestions on which fork and where from would be appreciated.

Also, I’m looking into disc compatible 700c wheels, for afore mentioned frame and fork.

Anyone else using 700c with disc, if so, hows it going ?.

Cheers
    🙂

CC

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not fitted a disc but plan on doing it later in the year, will be using a Winwood/nasbar fork. For the front wheel you could get it built using any standard disc hub – hope, king, etc.

one_bad_mofo

Vicious Cycles do a lovely disc ready Cross fork and you should be able to get one easily now that they’re being imported by Propel Distribution.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’ll be a steel fork from vicious I take it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

see here

doesn’t give weights though

Winwood do them, as said. Bonty used to but rare these days I think. Talk about Kinesis but again, can’t confirm actual reality. Redline (US) have a set. And Trigon do a lovely full carbon disc-only fork but in their sheer daftness it’s 420mm, which is a tad long for CX-ing.

See CRC for some FSA disc 700c wheels

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just got a mount welded on to my touring forks – but when I did look around there didn’t appear to be very much on the market.

I am glad I got my dropouts rotated to forward facing – I’ve had a wheel come out on non-lipped forks and I wouldn’t want it to happen on the road (yes my fault for not tightening the qr but I’ve had folk tamper with my bike when locked before inc. loosening qrs)

Anyway, discs on the (winter or commuter) road bike are the way ahead IMO (or where you’re riding in crappy conditions), been using mine for 5 years.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Been using 700c P2’s with discs on my commuter (Airbourne Carpe Diem) for years now. Did it as a fit-and-forget option…. the added bonuses are more stopping power/consitency and the occasions when I’ve dinged a rim (submerged potholes… chavs leaving bricks in strategic locations…. etc) I can get home without having to stop and trim/disconnect the brakes.

I agree, P2’s don’t look right, but they are cheap, will probably last forever and have mudguard eyes – ticked all the boxes at the time I was building the bike and, so far, I’ve not felt the need to shell out for something carbon

cmyk
    Free Member

i have been riding a planet x uncle john for a few years now fitted with a pace rc31 (custom length), avid bb7s (brilliant when set up right) and mavic speedcity wheels (bombproof, slightly heavy).

it is a real opinion splitter when it comes to looks (i think it looks fantastic).
    i have loved every minute of riding it (well, apart from a few tears doing the 3 peaks!)-it is by far my favourite bike.

funnily enough, i am currently rebuilding it to put a planet x fork, cantis and new non disk wheels on it!
    this is purely because after 3 years i really fancy a change.

i might be ebaying the stuff as well!

ken_shields
    Free Member

I’ve not done the measurements or any research but what about a pair of carbom MTB forks like Pace RC31’s, On-Ones or Bonty Racelites.

They come in various lengths for both 26″ and 29″ wheels so you could probably find a set that fit.

Probably need to check the off set too.

Before I get flamed…..it’s just a suggestion

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

CMYK.

Very interesting, I was considering a set of Mavic Speedcitys. How have you found them ?, you refer to them as heavy. I’ve seen weight quoted as around 1.8Kg. More importantly I am interested in your opinion of their robustness. Are they a hardy, fit-n-forget wheel ?. They are 24 spoke, yes ?.

I was also considering a custom build, possibly Hope hubs, DT spokes, Mavic rim, all by the LBS.

Thanks to all for the other info and recommendations

An LBS did show me a carbon fork in a catalogue, I think it was kenesis.

I’ll now look at Reggie’s link.

Thanks all.

😉

CC

seifahmad
    Free Member

i managed to get a bontrager satellite elite fork for my seven cx bike
    got a hope pro II hub with dt spokes and mavic open pro, far lighter than speedcitys

using a tektro lyra dsic caliper with my sram rival levers which works great. looking to put a hope floating rotor on the front hub soonish.

cmyk
    Free Member

CC,
    i think the mavics are really great. they have only required a minor true in 3 plus years. they are very strong. i was being a little unfair on them when i said they were heavy. perhaps a little heavy for the price i paid for them-but not that heavy for what they are.
    they really are a fit and forget wheelset.
    check this review out:
    [/url]

cmyk
    Free Member

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Also looked at Speedcity’s. Have currently settled on XT hubs on Open Pro’s as this seems to be the best cost/weight/strength trade off (the Open Pros are around 100g a rim lighter than anything else of a similar price), but I’m looking into having them rebuilt with some disc specific 700c rims which are ‘available’ from Alex/Velocity/Sun, but are either bu&&ers to get hold of or very heavy. May look again at the Speedcity’s….

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

CMYK.

Thanks for that, I will check the link later.

Seifahmad.

What a beauty, I like !. Where did you get the forks from ?. I’ve triwed hunting down a pair of Bonty CX forks, satelites, but couldn’t find any.

Thanks

CC

cmyk
    Free Member

i looked around for a long time before going for the mavics.
    they seemed the best option in terms of weight/strength/availability.
    they can take some pretty wide tyres as well.
    also, importantly for me, i think they look really great!

chris23
    Free Member

Bought a bargintastic uncle john frame and fork, had a set of wheels built for it using xt disc hubs and Mavic A719 rims 36 hole. Built by Dave Hinde for around 160 inc P&P. Ended up a little heavy but bomb proof, road them round my local trails and they havent come out of true. 😀

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Chris23.

Thats useful info, thanks for that, I’ll check out those rims ta.

For anyone interested, I’ve found the Winwood forks. Seems that they are available, from the U.S…..

So, does the STW massive a “standard procedure” for, ahem !, err, negotiating the obsticle of pruchasing from the U.S. ref HMRC ?.

Cheers

😀

CC

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I have a P2 on my CX Kona and it looks and works just fine. Run avid mechanical disk brakes and am frankly glad I have it cos it means I can now stop!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

CC – the standard duty approach is to see if the company will send the forks marked with a lower price. They may not (and some may say rightly so), then it’s just the lap of the gods whether the courier charges you fees etc.

Though if they get lost/damaged you’re obviously only insured for the lower price. You takes your chance….

aP
    Free Member

I got some winwood forks through Two Wheels in Kingswinford.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

seifahmad – if you ever want to swapover to a canti fork then I’ll have the Bonty one off you. I’ve got a Sintema Muddy full carbon CX fork that I could also swap + cash

markenduro
    Free Member

Give sideway a ring, I got a carbon (voodoo i think) last year for £99 to go on my sutra after I killed a pair of P2’s on HONC.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Bought mine from Sideways cycles

Lovely they are too

squish
    Free Member

Hi Steve
    what frames that? and what forks you got on it?

Very nice btw…

nostoc
    Free Member

I have a set of used satellite elites bought off ebay but now surplus to requirements. Can sort out some pics if you like.
    kevroderickAThotmailDOTcom

personally I’d go for the voodoos

reggiegasket
    Free Member

are the voodoos full carbon or alu steerer?

also, any idea on weights?

ta

smiffy

I have a standard MTB 420mm RC31 on my ‘cross bike; looks a bit funky as the forks are about as wide as the frame, but I like it. Mud clearance is effectively infinite.

smiffy

james-o
    Free Member

The voodoo forks come from the same factory as the forks we use on the Genesis Croix de Fer – mail me via the site and we can sell a spare one. alu steerer, about 650g.

boxelder

james-o

May be interested in those forks if possible – which site are you emailable via? Genesis?

matt_fantastic
    Free Member

perhaps too late, but i’m tempted by the Kinesis DC19 (http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/product.php?id=50) as a P2 replacement on my Pompino…

samuri
    Free Member

I thought the P2’s were fine. Looked rubbish and extremely stiff but still pretty good.

My Salsa carbon forks are much better, not sure where to get them from though.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘CX – disc comp forks, etc’ is closed to new replies.