Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cutting off a clamp?
  • GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Okay, bit of a hypothetical one here. I’ve never been clamped. I hope never to be clamped. But I’ve often wondered, in the event of clamping what’s stopping the average joe renting some bolt cutters or a petrol powered saw and cutting the thing off?

The alley behind my work is used by many for parking, but a lot of the wall space has some pretty dubious looking “You will get clamped etc” style warnings. Fair enough if your blocking a door, but a stretch of wall? Seems to me that the building owners are just trying to scare folks off, they can’t own the road?

Also these fly by nighters who clamp wouldn’t have access to dva databases etc to find out where a person lives, no?

jova54
    Free Member

Also these fly by nighters who clamp wouldn’t have access to dva databases etc to find out where a person lives, no?

Probably yes. It seems the DVLA will give your details to anyone with enough money.

I agree with the sentiment about cutting off a clamp but it’s probably illegal as you are damaging someone else’s property.

I think the rules in Scotland are differenet about who can/can’t clamp cars and what they can charge. Something perhaps our government should start doing…… oh I forgot they get tax revenue from these low-lifes.

Stoner
    Free Member

If you cut/grind the clamp off you are committing an offence (damage to property) and of course they know who to come after.

If you’re talented, you can remove the clamp by removing the wheel from the axle which IIRC would be OK.

geoffj

Cut it off and then get it welded where you cut it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Isn’t there some bloke you can get hold of who will cut them off for you? All anonymous, like? Comes dressed like a superhero? Face covered?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, I was right!
    A few years old, but nevertheless –

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3112670.stm

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

That is….pretty awesome.

Aidy
    Free Member

Apparently if you deflate the tyre, you can sometimes slide them off

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Cut it off, if they squeel say it wasn’t your vehicle and it must be a cloned plate.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I could always say I had no knowledge of the clamp, and Angle Grinder Man must have cut it off 😈

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jova – no clamping in Scotland. Court decision years ago. Not on public roads nor on private land. They do use tow away a lot tho

sam42
    Free Member

You can’t get clamped rolling on 26s…

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Have you ever even seen 26 inch wheels? Assuming they’d be running low profile rubber, therefore a 4×4 with say, 31 inch tyres would be totally safe?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cutting off a clamp?’ is closed to new replies.