Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cut Gate
  • bloodyshins
    Free Member

Thinking of doing cut gate (off Derwent Reservoir) tomorrow. I’ve only ever ridden it in the bone dry before. Has anyone been up this week that could report on the trail conditions. I always thought it had the potential to be a quagmire if it has rained.

Cheers!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

it will be great, no major rain, stil dusty

matthew_h
    Free Member

I was up there on Wednesday night. It was mostly dry and dusty but there were some patches of mud. Nothing serious at all but I did come home with muddy legs and bike. Still very ridable though

cakefest
    Free Member

I’m heading up Cut Gate on a route through the Peaks into the Pennines in mid August, and though I can keep going up most trails I’ve ridden up I’m no super climber.

How tough a climb is Cut Gate? Is it only rideable while feeling fresh and strong? Or is it always going to be a slog/push for anyone other than a superhero climber?

How long would it take if I had to walk it? In wet? In dry?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

assume south to north?

the firts bit is a bastard and a half (and walk), once you get to the cairn then its great, about an hour of fun from there to the cafe

cakefest
    Free Member

will be riding it unseen, and yes, south to north.

where abouts is the cairn? and the cafe you mention – where is that? any chance you could mark on streetmap?

my route, again unseen, drops down Mickleden Edge and skirts the west tip of Langsett Res. it then goes west on the Trans Pennine Trail before heading NW to Holmbridge.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Its **** brilliant 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member
    bloodyshins
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ll give it a bash. Cakefest, the first climb is a real bastard. I’ve never made it up without a push, but the rest of it is probably the most fun natural trail that I have ridden in the peaks. Well worth the pain!

cakefest
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointers, too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cut Gate’ is closed to new replies.