Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Custom Wheel Builds – where?
  • Brooker99
    Free Member

Just looking for STW to confirm or deny what I think is the case.
    Looking at getting a hope pro2 wheel set built up with 15mm QR black hubs, dt comp black DB spokes and Xm317 rims.
    Would like to put the business the way of Merlin, but by the time you include skewers and rim tape their build is £40 more expensive than CRC.
    Is a merlin wheel set £40 better than CRC?
    Should I be looking elsewhere? Looking at a budget of £250 ish.
    Am after an improvement from the mavic cross rides that will be replaced due to the rear spokes constantly loosening (dispite regular attention – after the one time the wheel almost collapsed and I just thought the tyre was a bit soft – muppet).
    Thanks All
    D

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

why not go with crc?

SBrock
    Free Member

if the set from CRC are handbuilt then go for them – I had mine built at Sherwood Pinces Cycles – DT5.1, DT Comp Spokes, Brass Nipples, Hope Pro 2s, 20mm front – £243 an absolutley steal!

can you try and find a reputable local builder?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you're spending that amount of money, you'd be better with 717s rather than 317s. That's like an expensive picture in a £1.98 Teco frame! 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

Get them from Roger Musson at wheelpro.

His builds are the stuff of legend and although he doesn't build for the public he does do hope hoops that he checks and tweaks and yours sounds like one of his standard offerings.

He is not the cheapest but after 10 years of hard riding his wheels are still true for me and that has to a record.

oddjob
    Free Member

I am very happy with the service I got at just riding along although I was getting 29" wheels so I had a lot fewer otions

chakaping
    Free Member

I'd go for the Hope Hoops too, under budget if you shop around.

Brooker99
    Free Member

Thanks for answers.
    Peter – I might be going on duff info – I know the way Mavic brand their rims – but are the 317s not stronger than the 717s? They are certainly 50g heavier each…
    Jools – have seen the Wheelpro site – too dear unfortunately.
    Oddjob – Will try Just riding along.

Others recommending hope hoops, I need to keep digging on those then.

In my mind a merlin hand built set will be better than CRC – have I just made that up?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Custom Wheel Builds – where?’ is closed to new replies.