Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Custom built steel frames
  • 4ndyB
    Free Member

I’m considering having a custom steel framed mountain bike built for my next birthday (40th)

I’d like to use a UK frame builder using UK manufactured components, so Reynold 853 tubing where possible and other grades of Reynolds tubing where you don’t really want 853

100-140mm travel forks

Disc brake only

26″ wheel, as that is what works for me

Fillet brazed (Yeah I know you have to weld 853 to get the air hardening process to work. But you can so I’m told, fillet braze over the welds for that lovely smooth clean look)

Who would you recommend to build a frame and why?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Me… because you’ve got money to burn and I’d like to learn how to build a frame. 😉

4ndyB
    Free Member

I don’t have money to burn (yet) but I do have time to save a few quid (or a thousand few quid’s)

A kidney may be sold in the process of funding this project, rather do that than sell one of my other bikes to fund it 😉

monkeyboyjc

Linky i’d go to the next bespoked bristol (UK frame building show, next summer) and decide my self….

4ndyB
    Free Member

Thanks for that link

I have just under a year till my birthday so plenty of time to sort stuff out, although I guess the best frame builders will have long waiting lists…

djglover
    Free Member

Have a look at Rouke, because they have a fantastic reputation

cozz
    Free Member

yeah – brian rourke

thats my reommendation

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Does Hewitt in Leyland do Mtb frames, or only road kit?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Not in my best interests revealing the competition, but there is some damn sexy beasts here: Demon

4ndyB
    Free Member

His website only shows prices for road bikes, but the gallery does have a couple of MTB’s

http://www.rourke.biz/custom_framesets.php

travellingman
    Free Member

Enigma?

I wouldn’t touch Paul Hewitt with a bargepole but that’s just from personal experience..

Candodavid
    Free Member

Still loving my Curtis

4ndyB
    Free Member

Curtis is kinda where the idea started for me, been a brand I’d like to try for some time, although I don’t know if they do Fillet Brazed work or just welded (so many questions to ask so many frame builders!)

But you gotta look at all the options when spending this much on a frame alone

I’d hate to buy frame A and then see frame B that I wanted more than frame A (yeah I know it’ll probably happen anyway…)

Candodavid
    Free Member

Fillet brazed loveliness

toppers3933
    Free Member

large list of british frame builders.

don’t know if this is any good. it very road/fixed gear biased but a lot of the builders do mountain bike frames too.

woodsman
    Free Member

Rourke don’t fillet braze – tig!

I don’t think their mtb frames look right imo.

You’re going to find it hard to get more than 100mm suspension corrected frame, especially in fillet braze. I don’t know exactly why that is.

I’ve an Enigma fillet brazed mtb, it’s made of Columbus tubing, but they will do 853 that’s what custom is all about. If you google my name I’m sure I’ve posted many pictures of it, or google the STW reviews – it’s the actual one that I’ve repainted myself.

There is a guy called Kevin Sayles who now works at Woodrup Cycles, he does some mind blowing custom frames, not sure how clued up he is on mtb geometry though. Unlike road bikes you really do need to know what you want in custom mtb frames.

Shand Cycles do some nice fillet brazed custom mtb frames, they’re Scottish – not sure if falls within your brief or not.

From my own personal experience – don’t go to Croydon for a custom mtb frame – that’s all I’m saying. 😉

4ndyB
    Free Member

I have a pretty good idea on what geometry/sizing I want, so that shouldn’t be an issue, after over 20 years of riding MTB’s I’m fairly confident in knowing what I want in a frame, but having a good chat with the frame builder is always the best way to make sure

The one builder I have contacted so far is able to give a fillet finished frame in 853 that can run up to 140mm forks, optimal at 120mm, it’s welded first then brazed afterwards to give the clean fillet brazed look.

I have a few more leads now and will be looking in more detail at some of the builders mentioned above

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep em coming in though!

lipseal
    Free Member

What about 18bikes

TiRed

Roberts, but you will have to wait… The name may or may not put you off 😉

packer
    Free Member

Curtis is kinda where the idea started for me, been a brand I’d like to try for some time, although I don’t know if they do Fillet Brazed work or just welded

Curtis only do fillet brazed.

woodsman
    Free Member

Don’t go for welded then fillet brazed over the top, you really don’t want two times reheating if possible, plus it will be harder/ with less oportunitues to repair it in the future, not many or any frame builders with take that on – sounds similar to Rourke’s suggestion when someone recently enquired about a brazed frame? if they haven’t the confidence to braze it on it’s own I would walk away.

If you decide on Roberts email me first and I can tell you my recent experience of getting a mtb frame made!

18 Bikes are Tig only – innovative though 🙂

I think with that travel requirement and UK FB etc – it’s Curtis (they braze only but don’t file /blend the fillet) or Demon.

I would suggest rethinking the travel may be the way forward. I can do most things and faster in most cases on my FB 100mm than my 5spot. Just don’t haul it off ‘proper’ jumps because I respect and enjoy it too much to wreck it.

It is a mine field, be cautious. You may find going over to the Frame building forum more informative.
    🙂

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

There’s an article in this months What Mountain Bike about a bloke that went on a week-long framebuilding course for his 40th, and came out with a very tidy looking frame. Certainly caught my eye.

trebord
    Free Member

breaking the UK rule here, but may be worth a nose at:

Steelman Cycles

letmetalktomark

Andy – I went through similar recently albeit for my 30th 😆

I personally found 18bikes to be the best for me.

No fillet brazing but filling was offered for thought as the only reason I was after fillet was aesthetics.

Hope to get up and see them soon.

just don’t look at their short travel steel full sus …….. Lovely stuff 😯

Edric64
    Free Member

Do a Dave Yates course and build your own?

woodsman
    Free Member

Made a decision yet…….

rewski
    Free Member

I would definitely look at the enigma ego st, I test rode one and it’s pretty special. I went to there open day and watched them frame build, the steel tubing they use is almost as light as the Ti, obviously thinner tubes, but still very impressive. I’m hoping (fingers crossed) to order one next year, not sure whether to go Ti. They’ve got a clearance sale on, not sure what size. The fillet brazed version is a beauty, I’ve also seen pics of woodsmans, matching fork paint job, very nice.

69er
    Free Member

I had a lovely road frame built by Roberts, a fantastic bike that has done many hundreds of miles in the Alpes. Years of experience are evident in the way this bike fits and rides. It’s awesome.

But I would not however buy an MTB from them. I don’t think they really ‘get’ MTB’s, and worse still they thing they know best! Several friends have had some disappointing experiences with them. Road, track, touring and maybe ‘cross bikes yes, anything else – NO!

Robin Mather is the way to go, but a) you don’t have long enough and b) you probably can’t afford it!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Robin Mather. Youo’ll get what you want, it’ll be beautifully made and will ride fab.

But if you wanted it for your 40th birthday ,you may have needed to order on your 38th…..

mine at the dyfi, (130mm forks, fillet brazed 853)

Mike by Pimpmaster Jazz, on Flickr

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Another for Chas Roberts here. His stuff is beautiful, seen loads or Roberts frames down here in That London. He and his company have bin doing them for many years now.

Don’t confuddle yourself unnecessarily with wanting X or Y tubing, listen to what the builder recommends, as they do know better than you. You’ll get a better frame that way.

And a full custom frame takes inot account your riding style, weight, peculiarities of your bodily dimensions, that sort of thing.

simonm
    Free Member

18bikes in Hope have a custom frame building side

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

When i was researching it (2004), roberts wouldn’t make a frame for more than 80mm travel forks. He said it wasn’t necessary. In 7 years he may have changed his mind, but i have heard that he’s not the most flexible on certain details.

My thought is that unless it’s really daft the customer is paying so let them have what they ask for.

The speccing, detailing and talking through the bike is a big part of the process and really enjoyable. It’s worth finding someone you like and get along with.

ska-49
    Free Member

Are you looking for it to be a ht or fs?

zbonty

Never had a frame built myself but did get a frame repaired by Roberts.

He was a rude knob.

sambob
    Free Member

Matt at 18 bikes makes some lovely frames.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

i have heard that he’s not the most flexible on certain details.

I’ve heard this too. One bloke whose bike I was admiring said it was a nightmare to get them to make it for a 100mm fork! But they will make it to your specifications though, ultimately you are boss. Either they do, or they don’t get the work.

I think I’d have a combination of fillet brazing and some nice lugged joints.

Oooh….

edd

I had my custom steel frame made in America. Personally I prefer TIG welds as they weigh less and, in my book, look better. My experience was that steel builders don’t have much experience with long travel forks, they tend to be quite oldschool. 71 degree head angle with 120mm forks anyone? Just be sure that you know exactly what you want.

rewski
    Free Member

Robin Mather isn’t taken orders.

69er
    Free Member

Robin isn’t taking orders and hasn’t been for a while. And his frames are £1500 too….

I’d still like one though 😉 .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Custom built steel frames’ is closed to new replies.