Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Curry – help me choose?
  • sunshiner1der
    Free Member

So we love spicy food in the Sunshinerider house, and whilst I will happily cook from scratch, Mr Sunshinerider won’t, so we are investigating curry sauce in a jar to find out which are worth their money for when it’s his turn to cook. The spicier the better in our view…

Tonight’s trial is Patak’s Phal, but what else is worth a try?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Patak’s Phal?

That sounds kinda hot!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Phal = silly hotness for macho wannabes, imo.

I use Patak’s Madras or Tandoori, pastes, not ready mix, blended according to who I’m cooking for. Try adding a little extra lemon juice, too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If he’d try using a paste, with onions, garlic and stuff, then adding chopped tommers, that sometimes works nicer than a jar. Other than that I can’t help, jar sauces never really do much for me I’m afraid. It always feels like unflavoured meat in a sauce to me. 😐

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Beinghonest, I’ve never found any jar of sauce to be at all satisfactory really, yes they can be reasonable tasty, but you don’t get anthing close to “restaurant” style.

Mind you, to get close to a restaurant style, I use such exotic ingredients as a tin of condensed tomato soup, chunks of block creamed coconut, as well as the ususal spices.

Cougar

If he’d try using a paste… that sometimes works nicer than a jar.

Indeed.

A mixed curry powder and tinned tomatoes / stock / yoghurt etc could be a halfway house between “scratch” and “microwave” perhaps? I always struggle getting the balance ‘just right’ using separate spices for curry, I’ve not quite nailed it yet.

Good thread though, I’m partial to jars for those ‘CBA to cook’ evenings. Looking forward to people’s suggestions.

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

We know that we have both been building up a tolerance for chilli, as we find we have to use far less chilli when friends or family are here. From tasting the Phal it seems to be a good option. He would have a go with paste as he will make a thai curry using the paste from the oriental supermarket, any recommendations for good pastes?

Cougar

Phall is typically the hottest you can get. It’s got this legendary “hotter than vindaloo, not on the menu because you’ve to request it specially” reputation. If the jar is ‘nice’ as you’re building up tolerances, either you can stop building and consider yourselves built, or it’s not really a Phall by any sort of definition I’ve come across.

I’m a bit of a chilli fiend, and I tend towards Madras as it’s generally hot whilst still tasting of something other than hellfire. I can handle Vindaloo, but I’ve got to be in the mood for it. Far as I can glean, Phall is something invented solely to make white men cry and give Indians something to laugh at.

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

The Phal in the jar is no where near as hot as it would be in a restaurant, in a restaurant im usually a lamb dhansak girl, and that’s hot enough. I tend to find the jars are much lower heat wise than a restaurant!

deluded
    Free Member

Lloyd Grossman’s are not bad, particularly the Korma one.

Don’t listen to DD – I’ve heard his chili dishes are insipid, stale mulch, or at least they are after they’ve been in the boot of his car with his dirty mountain bike lycra for hours on end.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jalfrezi’s about where I like to get in a restaurant – I’m not really into playing chicken with the cook. 🙂 But I like the peppery sourness & heat of the Jalfrezi – just so my cheeks are sweating a little.

Tbh, any of the pastes would be a good start. You get to choose your veg too.

Oh, and sometimes the supermarkets do tandoori chicken pieces – these can work better in curries than diced chicken breast.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

particularly the Korma one

😆

Typical bizzie. 😛

Oh, and deluded has a point with the Grossman ones – I think we had his rogan josh one a few times and that were luvly.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

particularly the Korma one

Mmmm, Botulism.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Pataks paste is all you need. They are all good.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yup, patak’s paste. Not sauce!

seanodav
    Free Member

Aldi do a dhansak in a jar which is really nice for a paste.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They changed the Grossman’s Rogan Josh sauce and it is rubbish now. I like the Patak’s Madras paste, Mrs M likes the Grossman’s tikka masala.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

As a side dish/veggie option have you tried Schwartz sachet of spice mix for bombay potatoes? Its rather bloody good!

z1ppy

Bilash curry sauce (several flavours) from Aldi, spice pack for the main ingredients and sauce to add, definitely not the hottest (add some fresh chilli’s), but a great curry.
    Recommended to us by a friend, whose home cooking is to die for.

chakaping
    Free Member

I only ever use Aldi jars as mentioned above, Patak’s paste (nice but bit salty sometimes) or M&S jars.

Sometimes combine a jar with tin of toms and spices from cupboard to make double the amount and freeze half.

Always use fresh onion, garlic and veg. Often nicer than restaurant curry.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I generally buy the Grossman Josh/Madras/Balti/Jalfrazi jars and CO-OP finest Jalfrazi, but they’re all a bit underwhelming tbh.

jedi

i hate chilli powder heat.
    i eat naga currys.
    veg,panner, shatkura, nag patia takatan 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

Pataks paste is all you need. They are all good.

think Pataks all taste the same.

Clobber
    Free Member

Curry club sauces are by far the best jar sauces I’ve ever had, in fact I won’t eat a jar based curry unless it’s one of these and they have decent heat

Mmmm…. Great curry sauces….

Edit: grosman is dogshit in comparison

makkag
    Free Member

sharwoods goan vindaloo is ok from a jar but again I put tika paste on the meat and let it maranade add onions and peppers to the mix and slow cook .. what i would say are bloody great out of a jar are the sharwoods 2 step byriani’s .. so simple and so bloody tasty !

evilclosetmonkey
    Free Member

bhut jolokia think it’s sharwoods brand but not sure.

Gribs

If you’re happy to make up a suace from scratch then just make a massive pan and freeze it in portions. It’s then easy enough to add the extra bits to make the curry of your choice.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’ve never been into to the jars of sauces/ready mix stuff when its so easy to make a curry from scratch. If the OP is experimenting why not spend £15 on a range of spices and the like? Works out cheaper in the long run and is way more fun. You can always freeze batches and use them like a jar of sauce for the future.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve been saving up my curry discovery for a thread like this, then I read it and see someone’s already mentioned ALDI curry. It is really nice, I added some left of boiled veg to a jar, some turkey and it was delicious.

Someone has mentioned Korma on a curry thread?

*shakes head in disbelief*

gibby

You could try Mr. Vikkis Hot Goan paste fairly hot but full of flavour. Can also be heated up by adding some of their King Naga for a really hot curry.

Home

Jackrabbit
    Free Member

Go to your local curry place and ask them how to cook a decent curry. If their English is good enough you’ll probably learn a lot.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Jackrabbit – Member
    Go to your local curry place and ask them how to cook a decent curry. If their English is good enough you’ll probably learn a lot.
    POSTED 3 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Yeah – you’ll learn that lots of them use catering packs of sauce from businesses such as Patak’s.

ElVino

I also think all Pataks taste quite similar although still good, best paste I have found is Veeraswamy Hot Madras Curry Paste from Barts.

Used it to make a very nice Turkey and Lentil curry last night using last of the Christmas turkey and stock from the carcass – washed down with my 1 remaining Weissbeer.

steve-g
    Free Member

Once a month I make a decent size batch of Thai red curry paste using tom puree, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, chillis, paprika, and sometimes coriander. Costs about £2 to make enough for 3 or 4 currys worth. marinade and cook the meat in that for a bit, add coconut milk, heat through, done.

bigdawg
    Free Member

if youre making your own you need to be getting the Hares Moor kits, make them as hot or not as you like (I usually swap their chilli’s out for scotch bonnets for a bit of sweetness)

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Thank you all, I now have a list of a few for Mr S to try. I can report that last night’s Patak Phal was gorgeous, although I did add onions and garlic and cook long and slow as I was using beef.

I already have an extensive spice collection as I love to cook, so for those of you suggesting I make a big batch and freeze, that’s a good idea and I may well do that. But knowing which pastes or jar’s are good will come in handy for Mr S when the freezer is bare and also for when we are camping!

By the sound of a it a trip to aldi for a curry selection and to somewhere else for the pastes and then a big curry tasting night with friends is called for!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Curry – help me choose?’ is closed to new replies.