Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Cube Stereo Headset Querry
  • Had a 2013 cube stereo super 140 race rebuilt in last few weeks, due to the carbon frame cracking and being replaced under warranty with the 2014 frame.

Have noticed the headset is slightly wobbly under off and on breaking.

Apparently it’s an FSA Orbit I-t headset (specs say, no identifier on the actual item)

I’ve took the stem off and had a look (can’t you tell I’ve never done this before).

Seems to be a split in what I think is the crown race, is this split correct on this unit ?

Then we have bearing no 1 above this.

Then the frame with bearing no 2 above.

A tapered / compression ring that drops into bearing no 2

Then an alloy top piece, slopped at 45 deg ish with a flexible seal to the bottom of it.

Is this all the parts or should there be any more seals or shims / spacers ?

Once a 10 mm spacer and stem is on top of the fork, the fork top sits about 1mm below the stem top that surround it.

I guess for the cap and screw, to work properly, needs more like 4-5mm of clearance to allow the cap to push the spacer and stem down the fork onto the compression ring.

Will this be the reason for the wobble ?

Can in just swap the spacer from a 10mm to a 15mm and cure it ?

Or should I be checking the lbs that the frame was rebuilt correctly.

I’m worried the bearings may be moving about in the carbon frame / had the frame worn ?

It’s just a pain to drag the bike back to them.

Also having had a new frame, new rear hub, new stealth dropper and a rear shock repaired in just over 1/2 a year. I’m loosing a little faith in the quality of the bike. Not sure it’s bad luck, a 5 mins to 5pm Friday bike, the quality you get for only spending 3k or a reflection of the make.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cube reckon the Orbit Z
    http://www.cube.eu/en/equipment/spare-parts/headsets/product/cube-headset-orbit-z-t-1-18-crown-race-black/

Fitting instructions here
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Headset_Installation-Instructions.pdf

First things however is I’d be going back to the person who rebuilt it and getting them to check it over, better still call up sort a time and get them to go over it with you so you can see whats going on. Quickest way to learn and get any other issues dealt with.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Cube Stereo Headset Querry’ is closed to new replies.