Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cube bike choice……..Help please!!
  • tino1595
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’m getting back into mountain biking after years out and have just about decided on a Cube LTD of some description from one of the German sites, but have a choice to make between…….

Cube ltd race 2011 (green/white/metal) (absolutely love the colour of this bike)…..949 euro

Cube ltd race 2012 (would be grey metal, blue as the black is a bit plain for me…….1099 euro

Cube ltd cc 2011 (black and white, quite like this colour scheme)……………………1039 euro

Cube ltd cc 2012 (only comes in the plain anodized)…………………………………..1099 euro

Personally I’m much more drawn to the 2011 colour schemes of the two models but being away from mountain biking for so long I’m not really able to tell if the spec differences on the 2012 bikes should should draw me away from the lower prices and (in my personal opinion) better looking colour schemes of the 2011 models.

If some of you more experienced and knowlegeable people out there could give me your opinions it would be a great help.

Cheers!!

IHN

Why don’t you post the pics and the specs so we have something to go on.

Scapegoat

My choice would be the LtD CC, either year as the spec doesn’t seem to have changed significantly. My LTD is plain black anodised so I’m biased anyway.

The CC had XT chainset and wheels, the Race has Deore.

CC Has Reba fork, the Race has Fox. My personal preference would be the lighter better XT chainset and wheels, with a fork I know and love. The Reba, set up properly, cannot be beaten IMHO.

I wouldn’t sacrifice the XT chainset and wheels to get a Fox over a Reba.

acsevens

I would really recommend trying before you buy if you haven’t already. I bought a Ltd Team 2011 from Bike Discount.de and really didn’t get on with it – very stiff frame and racier geometry than I expected (maybe should have done more research!). My back did not like!

After trying various changes with the set up I gave up and ended up swapping the components onto another frame (Rock Lobster 853) – which has worked out pretty well as the spec on Cubes is excellent and I got a good deal on the frame.

Scapegoat

Good point. They are indeed stiff and fast. Cube XC bikes do tend to be a bit nervy on techy downhill stuff, but the come into their own on fast singletrack and bridleways. I put wide riser bars and a shorter stem on for trail-style riding.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Dont know about the bikes of your choice but as with scapegoat I have a Cube GTC and found it to nervous. Extended fork travel to 120mm and out a wider carbon riser on it and absolutely love it.
    Also put some lighter wheels that I already had and a carbon seatpost on it and dropped over 2lbs in weight.
    Its way faster than me 🙂
    Cheers
    Steve

tino1595
    Free Member

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far.

Seems I’m getting steered towards a 2012 Cube ltd cc from your comments and comments about the brakes on the 2012 cc being much better than the brakes on the 2011 cc from members of the Bikeradar forums.

Having raced motocross bikes when I was younger I love blingy colour schemes, but seems I’m stuck with anodised black lol

tino1595
    Free Member

Oh and I have had a try of a std ltd and found it ok for me.

Chris

tino1595
    Free Member

My back up bike choice is a Boardman HT Pro from the dreaded halfords!

Scapegoat

Don’t write off the Hayes brakes. They lack feel, but are powerful. The MT2 review well, but don’t score the same Bikeradar 5 stars as the Hayes. Brakes are an extremely subjective choice anyway. I used Hayes for years on my LTD and although they could be a bit “on or off” having changed them now I can’t say they were particularly dreadful.

Put it this way, brakes would be last on my priority list…. way behind chainset and hubs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cube bike choice……..Help please!!’ is closed to new replies.