Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cube AMS 125, any good?
  • Sparx
    Free Member

Hi guys and girls,

Im currently looking for a f/s trail/am bike. I have been offered a Cube AMS 125 2010 model.

The spec seems bang on for the money but how do they ride? any problems with them? things to look out for etc?

Thanks in advance

Sparx

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

I have one and I think it’s great.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

being an owner of a Cube Stereo Race I’d say buy one but the AMS isn’t an AM bike, more XC, i’ve done some long days on mine and it’s comfy, still pedal efficient and not too cumbersome but the finish and quality of Cube bikes are second to none.

chojin
    Free Member

Great quality, however watch out for a common problem with the sunrigle freehub – make sure it spins freely and there’s no problems with the bearings. Mine makes a hell of a noise and doesn’t spin a well as it should. My LBS have acknowledged it as a common issue with them and have ordered a shed load of replacement freehubs to fit under warranty.

Other than that, they make a great XC bike and depending on which model/spec you plump for, a great trail bike too.

EDIT: Oh and they come with huuuuge stems as standard – The 20″ model comes with a 120mm.

hs125
    Free Member

I got mine just before Xmas. A well specced bike offering good value for money, at a respectable weight, and they look good too. Has coped with everything I’ve wanted it to do easily. The Talas fork gives a XC feel at 110mm, and trail/AM capability at up to 150mm.
    The only fault I’ve had is the pivot bolts on one of the Forula The One brake levers coming out due to a lack of threadlock. I suspect this is a one off and was very easily sorted.
    I’d definately recommend as a good all round FS bike.

carterda
    Free Member

Hi

I have had my Cube AMS 125 ‘the one’ for about a year, i take it out about three times a week. mostly around the hills and mountains of south wales, including the usual trail centres.

you get a lot of bike for the money, but i think you should think about what sort of bike you think you are getting for the money.

All Mountain? the spec would suggest so, with the 140mm Fox FIT Talas fork, Fox RP23 boostvalve shock, Formula ‘The One’ brakes and DT swiss wheels……however, the geomtetry is more xc….this is not to say it wont handle AM, it’s just not very forgiving geomtetry, steepish head angle and tall stand over and looooong stem…..i have pimped mine a little, with 60mm stem, KS 125mm drop seet, Shimano DX pedals, Maxis Minion Tyres and a recent addition, the Cane Creek Angleset to slacken things up a little.

it’s handled everything i dare point it up and down….with some coaxing….

it’s the little things that have bugged me: cable routing is diabolical..namely under the top tube towards the seat post, where the cables appear and are routed to the rear brake and gear selection…cables and frame get severly rubbed here…keep an eye on it! i have used frame protector to minimise damage….the down tube is easily dinged! so much for triple butting, strong at the joints, wafer thin walls everywhere else. the chainstay takes a beating too, so protect with the usual.

i have regularly serviced the bike, and recently replaced all suss linkages…..

the strong points of this bike are the components….to the point that i will probably wear out this frame this summer and buy a second hand zesty to transpose the components!

all mountain? borderline! beefy XC? most probably!

carterda
    Free Member

Above bike for sale with brand new warranty replacement frame unridden, please see ads.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cube AMS 125, any good?’ is closed to new replies.