Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Crud racer guards
  • DezB
    Free Member

Good aren't they?
    I was trackstanding behind a car this morning and my toe touched the front one. My front wheel must've moved at this point cos it folded (the guard, not my toe) and bent double up in the forks.
    Thought, oh crap they didn't last long. But stopped, pulled it straight, ping, back into shape! Carried on.
    Recommended Still not sure why the brackets are so close to the tyre though.

attractivefish
    Free Member

do you get any tyre/mudguard scuffing,

i fitted a pair to my fixie and didnt like how flexible the stays are?

DezB
    Free Member

do you get any tyre/mudguard scuffing

Well, not the mudguard, but the little pads are always in contact, which is why I think the bracket should be wider. Apart from that, they are great.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oddjob
    Free Member

Mine rub on they tyres and it's very annoying so I took them off.

DezB
    Free Member

I find water in my face and up my arse more annoying 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Yep mine constantly rub and I find it really annoying, have successfully 'opened' the bracket a little bit, but it should definitely be wider, would only need to be 5mm or so, the pads could still do their job when required, but wouldn't constantly be touching the rim.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Hmmm. The first time I touched a toe on my front one the bracket snapped. I am persevering. 🙂

GW
    Free Member

why are you touching your toes on them? 😕

BigDummy
    Free Member

The famous "toe over-lap" phenomenon. With the cranks horizontal, as the front wheel turns it is possible for the mudguard to hit your foot. It's not a big screaming deal, but it happens. 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

The 'brush' pads on mine constantly rub but it doesn't seem to impede the wheel spinning freely

saying that, I'm yet to ride with them so maybe with some flex in the wheel/hub/fork they'll become annoying – we'll see

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah I catch my front guard a lot with my toes, not a fault with the guards though ofc and they haven't broken yet. The pads touching the rim is fine by me, wheels still seem to spin pretty freely and keeps the guard centred, I've lost count of the number of times I'd have to fiddle with the stays on SKS raceblades to re-centre them.

flip
    Free Member

I bent mine to fit perfect, just heat the area up with a fag lighter, and bend…. and hold…..

And you don't need them brushy things, take em off.

njee20
    Free Member

but it doesn't seem to impede the wheel spinning freely

Mine does occasionally if they get knocked. It's more the noise that I find annoying, when I go through a puddle or anything they sound awful!

soma_rich
    Free Member

hijack
    Dez didnt get the frame 🙁 so you can stick your forks on eBay as I still need to sort somthing out. Sorry Dude.
    /hijack

DezB
    Free Member

Ok Rich, cheers for the info.

Blackhound

Two riders in our group had them break, one early on his second ride. Put me off a bit really.

daveh
    Free Member

1 x spare part is only 1 'large' first class stamp away.
    2 x spare part is only 2 'large' first class stamps away.
    3 x ……………………………………………..
    Replacement 'blade' only 6 'large' first class stamps away.

Pretty fair I thought.

foxyrider
    Free Member

do you get any tyre/mudguard scuffing

I do but agree qith DezB better than wet/mud – fitting a lower profile tyre would help!

29erKeith
    Free Member

I need a couple of spare bits which I clumsily broke, didn't realise they did spares so cheers for the pointing that out 8)

But! What’s a 'Large' 1st class stamp when it's at home then?

I have some regular first class stamps.
    What do I do just stick the relevant number in an envelope with a list of the bits and my address?

njee20
    Free Member

They're first class stamps for large letters, they say '1st large' on them.

Like this:

I'd send 2 'normal' first class stamps for a large one.

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Large 1st class stamps are preferred so I'm told. It's all to do with the postage charges on padded envelopes.

ojom
    Free Member

They are a tad noisy but so is the traffic around you anyway.

I had a dry arse and back when i got to work and on the way home and my bike doesn't look 'special' with them on.

Like.

29erKeith
    Free Member

cheers njee20 & MisterCrud

MrC
    2*normal amount of 'regular' 1st's in the post
    hope that's ok didn't have and Large and not likly to be near a post office during opening hours any time soon

MisterCrud
    Free Member

We are pretty flexible about these things Keith. We run a spares dept for free, we just ask for stamps to pay for the 1st class postage. I actually do it all myself even though you send the stamps to Alison. It only takes about half an hour a day, and keeps me in tune with all the different problems people are having.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I like mine, couldn't fit the front lip on the rear guard due to the wishbone on my seat-stay being pretty damm close to the tyre.

But I just did what it said on the video.

Pretty damm good, easy to fit and very light too.

Dair
    Free Member

Very happy with mine. The brushes rub on the rim, but they are supposed to (I think), and I am only aware of it when I am on smooth road with no traffic around. So that'll be never!

They claim on the packaging to fit 700 x 23/25, but I bought them on (good) advice that they only safely accommodate 700 x 23.

They look very slick.

uplink
    Free Member

Hats off to you MrC

That's a very laudable

njee20
    Free Member

I should add that I think they're excellent at keeping one dry, and frankly I'd probably buy them again.

crikey
    Free Member

I've got them and they're brill.

..and that Mr Crud is nice man.

druidh
    Free Member

I do get an occasional scrapy noise on dirty roads as some crud is transferred form the road to the tyre, then dragged around under the closely-fitting guard. Not a major problem IMO. The re-useable zip-ties on the other hand……

trio25
    Free Member

I have snapped the front one, no idea how! Hadn't realised it could be replaced will get onto that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'm not sure I could do proper road miles in the winter without proper mudguards. Spent too many hours swearing at blades, salmons etc – either trying to fir them as a wrench of getting soaked behind a pair on a ride.

druidh
    Free Member

Have you tried the Crud Racers Al?

BigDummy
    Free Member

They're good, they may even be "proper", but my next fast roadbike is still going to have clearance and eyelets. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Of course not Colin! Seems they are not hassle free though…

See…my esteemed legal-buddy BD is with me.

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW now replaced my conti 4000 23c with conti 4 seasons 23c and no rubbing in the wet!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Crud racer guards’ is closed to new replies.