Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Crown race remover… worth the money or just go for it with hammer and flatty??
  • nickewen
    Free Member

Swapping some forks around and wondering if its worth investing in a crown race removal tool for about £20 or whether I should just go for it with a flat headed screwdriver and a hammer…

Only done it once a long time ago and it wasn’t pretty. Any pearls of wisdom STW’ers?

duir
    Free Member

I bought one after managing for over 2 decades without one and I wish I hadn’t. It scalped a bit of metal from the crown steerer of my boxxers.

FOG

A bit of careful whacking with a suitable screwdriver i.e. one with a broad but thin blade and a hammer will do the job every time for no outlay as I am sure you already have these in your tool box.

mefty
    Free Member

EDIT: Got confused I used a mallet and screwdriver too.

Wally

Stanley blade/electrical screwdriver/a bit thicker and so on. Always works for me – well about 25+. Slow but firm guidance working it wider around in circles.

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. Think I’ll save myself some money and just go the old fashioned route! Cheers

Hingy
    Free Member

I start with a knife until I can get a screwdriver blade in there.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

These days I try and buy headsets with split crown races, not easy with all these different standards, Hope seem to always do them tho. definitely a must if you like swapping forks around, I’ve got 3 sets of forks for one bike. 🙄

I’ve never had a problem with screwdriver and hammer.

When putting back on again I use a big adjustable spanner round the steerer, so I can hammer the flat side of the spanner and the crown race goes on symmetrically. Some of my pals have bought long bits of pipe.

arthurcrabstick
    Free Member

Ive used a blow torch to heat it gently to get them on and off. Makes it very easy and has never caused any damage

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Crown race remover… worth the money or just go for it with hammer and flatty??’ is closed to new replies.