Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Cyclocross frames – is compact geometry a non-starter?
  • ourmaninthenorth

I’m on the lookout for a sensibly priced new, or second hand cross frame to build up slowly for next year’s season.

I’ve seen a reasonably priced Giant on ebay, but I fear the compact geometry just won’t work in practice.

Any thoughts? Should I stick with normal, horizontal frames?

(Oh, and if it helps, I’m a shortarse – ride 52cm)

Cheers

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Suppose crossbar is lower down to shoulder the bike, but on the positive side it might be a better height for carrying if you are shorter, lift the wheels etc. up higher.

Probably only one way to find out really – buy it and test it out.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers – my fear is that small frame = tiny gap to get my arm through to try to shoulder.

I’ve done some cross on my (size small) Soul, and it’s nigh on impossible to get that onto my shoulder.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’m a lanky get and prefer a slightly sloping top tube on my CX bikes. At the other end of the scale, Ms Kupfernal’s Ridely:

dot
    Free Member

Don’t think it’s worth worrying about.
    The amount of shouldering is pretty low in most races and I prefer to push than shoulder (lifting if course has barriers). There are better things to worry about such as whether you’ve done enough interval sessions in the ‘off season’ 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Paul – you’re right. It’s cheaper than a Milnes Columbus (as so less likely to get me in real hot water with Mrs North). I’ll put a bid in and see where it gets me.

Meantime, I’m still going to be on the steel SS cross bike for Hit the North. What am I thinking?

Eggbox
    Free Member

I have an 09 Giant TCX in size small. I have no problem shouldering it at all, even have a bottle on the seat tube.

I am not convinced that they are really “compact” even though they say they are on the web. The crossbar looks flat to me.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ive never been on a circuit that requires a csrry, I suppose they do rxist though.

ourmaninthenorth

Eggbox – the one I’m looking at is a 2007 or 2008. I think they slope much more than the 2009 onwards models.

oldgit – a few of the north west courses require carries.

OK, as an alternative (though more money), any thoughts on Zepnat frames?

oldgit
    Free Member

Ah Zepnat, my Pearson is a re badged Zepnat. Im happy with it, and Im up grading some parts for 2011/12 Good VFM and weight.
    BUT the TT is ovalised, fine for CX carries, but needs padding fot the 3 Peaks.

ourmaninthenorth

cheers oldgit – I’ll consider, esp as F+F is now £300.

oldgit
    Free Member

Blimey that is cheap. Anything you want to know just ask as mines a 52.

ourmaninthenorth

Yep – is it worth going for the same size as I’d ride on the road, or smaller?

I’m 5’7″, with relatively short legs/long body.

I ride a small Giant, and have (after 5 years), concluded it’s a bit short. The old Holdsworth I’m playing at SS cross on is a 52 (standover is, er, not the sort of thing to get wrong), but the TT is 55cm and seems fine with a 90mm stem and short reach bars (FSA Vero).

So, I’m inclined to go for a 52, rather than a 50, and tweak with a stem. Seem sensible?

crikey
    Free Member

From my dimly remembered crossing days, it’s less about getting it on your shoulder; there will be enough room in even a compact frame to get your arm through after grabbing the down tube, and far more about the ability to quickly un-shoulder it.

With a bigger frame, or even just a flat top-tube, the shrugging action is far easier..

ourmaninthenorth

Fair point crikey.

Think I might bite the bullet and avoid the Giant, going for more traditional geometry.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Plannet X are doing some great deals on CX frames…
    I’ve just built my new one up ready for the Summer CX season where I intend to come last in every race I enter.. 🙂

First ride out over Cannock tomorrow..

ourmaninthenorth

Plannet X are doing some great deals on CX frames…

At about twice the price of the Zepnat..!

Looks ace, though. I think I might have gone for it if they had anything but the yellow one left in my size.

ourmaninthenorth

Tell a lie – just looked, and no smalls left in any size. Just as well for my bank balance….

GW
    Free Member

With a bigger frame, or even just a flat top-tube, the shrugging action is far easier..

surely other than a kids frame you’d need removed from your shoulder by the fire brigade will just fall off if you drop your shoulder and relax your arm? 😕

aP
    Free Member

A compact frame quite often results in the saddle catching you in head when shouldering and having the pedal/crank in under your shaoulder. the pick up/ put down isn’t so critical its where the other fixed part of the bike end up relative to the top tube that make the difference.
    If you do have (like me) shortish legs and long body/arms then you will end up with what appears to be a bike that’s too big for you, even though the tt length is correct. My road bikes are 56.5cm tt and my cx bikes 55cm – all with 100mm stems.

ourmaninthenorth

aP – cheers for that. Your description is true of me trying to use my Soul for cross – it’s 40cm c-t-c, and nigh on impossible to get my arm through and back out.

Oh, and the very fact that I’m short means any sort of shouldering means the saddle catches my head!

When you say

appears to be a bike that’s too big for you, even though the tt length is correct.

do you mean simply that there is very little seatpost showing (which I get with my Holdsworth now) or that it is too big for cross purposes (i.e. I should choose to take a size down)?

In other words – shorter TT for cross?

Dodgy phone pic of Holdsworth here – this is a 52cm frame, with saddle at the right height. Easily shouldered, but fundamentally is without gears for racing next year..!

oldgit
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth
    I’m 5’8″ and use the 52 and to be honest it’s a tiny bit too small. 53 would be bob on.
    It’s a pretty good frame, but the low price makes me think there must be something off with it, but I can’t find any fault with it.
    Weights about average 1500
    Geometry is standard and quite tight, which makes it pretty useful on the road
    It’s good enough for me to keep, and I’ll be chucking some money at it for it’s third season.
    Put it this way, you’d have to spend a fair few quid more to find better with the exception of the Ebay Columbus F&F sets.
    And IIRC Zepnat offered a £30 custom colour option.

aP I’ve commented on that haven’t I. I’m the opposite – long in the leg short in the arm. So my bikes appear to look too small. as a guide I measure 36″ from pedal axle to saddle top.

ourmaninthenorth

oldgit – cheers. Really useful. Sounds like 52 would do me, though the TT length of the 50 is only 10mm short, so that could easily do the trick.

I have flashy aspirations, but (a) with a new baby limiting funds and (b) my distinctly average racing ability, it sounds like it could be just the ticket at £300.

Saw the custom paint option – orange like the Holdsworth, or white with gold decals? 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

as a guide I measure 36″ from pedal axle to saddle top.

Whereas I’m 33″-ish at 5’7″.

Hmm. 50cm might be a better option.

aP
    Free Member

as a guide I measure 36″ from pedal axle to saddle top

Gosh, i’ve never looked you up and down all the way before now, I’ve never noticed!

When you say

appears to be a bike that’s too big for you, even though the tt length is correct.
    do you mean simply that there is very little seatpost showing (which I get with my Holdsworth now)
    Yes, none of my bikes have much seatpost showing – so they look unfashionable, but I just let my legs to the talking. mumblemumblemumblemumblemumblemumblemumblemumble
    I shall be mostly walking round the cx sportive on Sunday if anyone else is…

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, none of my bikes have much seatpost showing – so they look unfashionable

Gotcha.

I shall be mostly walking round the cx sportive on Sunday if anyone else is…

Too far south for me these days. Besides, I shall be out practising my carries and run-ups in preparation for Hit the North (where I’m gonna die through lack of fitness and too much fatness).

aP
    Free Member

Sounds good – I shall be practicing being fat in readiness for the 3 Peaks… after the Maratona…

oldgit
    Free Member

This my Pearson, though this was taken whilst training for the 3 Peaks, hence the upturned stem and Landcruisers. you can see theres room for the saddle to come down a fair way.

dot
    Free Member

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’m 6ft, but have a 31″ leg.. 🙁

My CX is a 54cm, with a 120 stem..

The TT is 54cm too…

My DeRosa Roadbike however is a 56cm…

Both seem to fit really nicely..

Have to say, I spent 2hrs with the guys at Plannet X on a turbo getting measured etc…
    They where a massive help..

ourmaninthenorth

oldgit – looks good, though bars way too deep drop for me. My gut would get in the way..!

dot – last time I saw you with your cross bike you’d just faceplanted into a rock. Not so badass…. 😉

teetosugars – I hope it’s the angle of the photo or those shifters are facing skywards…! Amazingly my inside leg according to a quick measure of a bike is 85.5cm/33.7″ saddle to to pedal axle. Given that my legs are noticeably short, this astounds me. I can’t quite believe it..!

This tells me I need to get myself measured for bikes..!

dot
    Free Member

Looking forward to seeing #projectcx in the flesh at HtN, I want a go!

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep bars are too deep, those are Bell Laps. Deda Fluidas are going on next – 125mm drop.

You think Tetos are bad look at mine, I race up on mine and use them like tri-bar ends

GJP
    Free Member

oldgit – good to see that Pearson is being put to good use as God intended 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s been a great bike. Done all my winter road miles on it this year as well.

ourmaninthenorth

Failed post earlier… In summary:

Looks like the 52 is the option.

Paul – you’re more than welcome to ride it. You’ll bound to make it go better than I could..!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Lack of compact / semi compact cross frames made it pretty diffiult for me to find someting to fit my strange body.
    Short legs and monkey arms means a shortish seat tube and long top tube required. Finally found something pretty close to my road bike geometry (still a bit short).

Ebay special, under £300 for complete bike :-).

[/url][/img]

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross frames – is compact geometry a non-starter?’ is closed to new replies.