Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • creaky head set
  • bernie
    Free Member

i ve got a giant xtc advanced 3 carbon frame,and im getting a creaking noise from the head set.i ve tried ajusting it.any one help?

cynic-al
    Free Member

More likely a cable rubbing or its longitudinal wires rubbing in an end cap.

allthegearandnoidea
    Free Member

I had creaking from the front of my bike. Took the bar and stem apart and stripped the headset and cleaned and regreased everything. Doesn't creak anymore, so worth a try?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Also clean stem, bars and steerer and re-assemble 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I had this.

I solved it by unscrewing the headset top cap and spraying the star nut with WD-40.

Worth a try?

sparkyspice
    Free Member

It could easily be a tiny bit of dirt in the stem/handlebar. Take it apart and clean it. You only need the tiniest spec in an interface (seatpost, stem, BB etc) to make quite a loud creak that will resonnate through your frame.

I shy away from WD-40….. It dissolves grease. Go for GT-85 instead.

GeForceJunky

Knock the headset cups out and check them for cracks, I've just changed one that was creaking like a mofo due to a small crack in the lower cup.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I shy away from WD-40….. It dissolves grease. Go for GT-85 instead.

Which also dissolves grease.

foxyrider
    Free Member

TBH the best thing it to dismantle the front end (bars, stem and headset). Grease around the bearing cartridges (I doubt this is the problem), clean the bars and clamps and re-assemble. All of my bikes have sqeaked esp int dry dusty weather from the bars when esp up out the saddle and ended being the one of the clamps or the stack of spacers 🙂

More likely a cable rubbing or its longitudinal wires rubbing in an end cap.

also +1

bernie
    Free Member

Thanks all for your help,you are all saying the same thing,so ill give it a go 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘creaky head set’ is closed to new replies.