Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Creaking Dash
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hiya Chaps,

I’ve got a creaking/rattle that i think is coming from the dash on my 320D. I think it’s from the air vent for the windscreen. I’ve read a few things about Gummi Pfledge, would that kind of product settle down the movement on the air vents?

Or… Has anyone solved similar creaking with anything else? (Other than louder music!) 😉

Cheers

Ricks

molgrips
    Free Member

Silicone spray works quite well in the joins between plastic panels. Also, if you can remove the panels (should be able to) then you can grease the contact areas. Or just dribble some other lube in there.

Maplin do spray silicone grease that goes on like spray but thickens up when it’s got into whatever it is. Good stuff.

rickon
    Free Member

I did consider silicon spray, but… Would lubricating the areas make them move more, rather than less?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, but they don’t creak as they move over each other 🙂

I believe mega volume car audio enthisuasts dismantle their dash and reassemble it really tightly with new fastners, acousting damping and extra solidity generally. Massive PITA to do though.

flange
    Free Member

Check it’s not the adjustable steering column – I have a 135i (ok, different model but I bet it shares similar dash fittings) and what I thought was something where the windscreen and dash meet actually turned out to be the rubber ‘gator’ on the adjustable column. Quick squirt with silicon and its stopped it completely…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Powdered graphite is an excellent lubricant and can be made by gently scraping a Stanley blade down the length of a pencil lead. Coat mating surfaces before fitting back together.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you can also buy graphite powder for pianos, and also ptfe powder but it’s harder to find.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

there are all sorts of creaks from the dash and trim in my 17yr old Alhambra.

Solved it with this

molgrips
    Free Member

Solved it with this

No, you didn’t. The solution to noise is not more noise.

matt_outandabout

17yr old Alhambra.

Conversely, my 12 year old Galaxy is tight and silent…
    (It’s got no brakes today, but the dash is silent.. 😕 )

plyphon
    Free Member

No, you didn’t. The solution to noise is not more noise.

Is this the solution?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Creaking Dash’ is closed to new replies.