Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Glasgow
  • molgrips
    Free Member

This time my work are sending me to Glasgow for three months, weekdays only. I’ll probably stay in the centre. Doesn’t look to be much MTBing in the immediate vicinity. I like to ride in the evenings, and would prefer not to take trains and whatnot as it’s a faff, but I could if necessary.

Looks a bit of a depressing urban sprawl on the map.. help lift my spirits please 🙂 Looks like the road bike would be the best bet, do you agree? Might be worth bringing an MTB for a few visits though and heading out to the hills via train?

poah
    Free Member

mugdock park or kilpatrick hills. Take train out to loch Lomand for conic hill. rail travel with bike is pretty simple around Glasgow.

iainc

we ride from Mugdock Tue and Wed evenings. It’s 20 mins on train from city Centre or a half hour ride..

GMBC

There is also an active FB Meetup group who ride 3 or 4 nights, same area

tjagain

Rail is simple and cheapish and no problem with bikes. Depends where you are staying but there are bits of MTB riding within the city of various types.

Being a fairly big sprawling city road riding means a fair amount of urban roads with a lot of traffic.

Arrange a “get to know moley for drinks and bikes” get together 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I could handle a 30 min ride.

Not many paths marked on the map in Kilpatrick hills…? At least not many that aren’t dead ends.

Ideal riding for me would be a longer ride on tracks, it’s easier to plan than local woods type stuff when you’re not local.

Arrange a “get to know moley for drinks and bikes” get together

Definitely. I could come East, I have actually ridden in the Pentlands before it was fairly easy iirc.

iainc

there are a few of us on here from both GMBC and meetup. You’d be welcome to come along on evening rides. Generally start in Milngavie (sports club for GMBC or station for meetup) around 7 or 8, ride for a few hrs, cuppa/beer after. All good fun.

Post up a few days before and arrangements can be made 🙂

Kilpatricks have some great routes, though many are weather sensitive as a lot of boggy bits

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks.

Not sure what to do about a bike. I can only fly with flybe which means paying an excess for the bike bag.. I could perhaps take the train one day then leave the bike at a hotel if I can put in a long enough booking.

BoardinBob

Drop me an email when you’re in town

molgrips
    Free Member

Should be next week although probably without a bike at first.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As Bob says, gimme an email too, we quite often head through Glasgow on the way to Dumyat/N3 for summer evening rides, I’ll pick you up, can lend ye a bike as well matey.

matt_outandabout

44 mins and you are at Bridge of Allan on the train.

You are then at the foot of Dumyat – hour up, maybe 15 down. 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

we quite often head through Glasgow on the way to Dumyat/N3 for summer evening rides, I’ll pick you up, can lend ye a bike as well matey.

That woudl be good, I am 5’11 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool, I have a large Spectral 29 that will be ideal, email in profile.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice 🙂

matt_outandabout

Shout if you are heading out, some of locals/Stirling Bike Club are often out on Mondays and Tuesdays…

molgrips
    Free Member

Stirling is not as far away as I thought. Looks like I can plan plenty of road rides through the hills too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Loads of really good road riding if you fancy it.

45 minutes on the train to the sunshine coast, Loads of wicked riding around Largs, be glad to show you about. Then beer in the local, train back to Weej. aces.

davieg
    Free Member

On road / off-road, you are spoiled by riches in around Glasgow and Central Scotland.

Northwind

molgrips – Member

Not many paths marked on the map in Kilpatrick hills…? At least not many that aren’t dead ends.

It’s Scotland so the navigation is pretty different, paths on the map lose much of their significance

(I was really worried about navigating in the lakes because everything said things like “go up the bridleway then turn right” and I thought “how will I know which path”, I didn’t realise there’d only be one.)

If you decide to come east or down into the tweed valley, let us know- EPIC FORUM RIEDZ!

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks folks. But I presumably can’t do much without a local guide? Is there any better map than OS?

fifeandy
    Free Member

It’s Scotland so the navigation is pretty different, paths on the map lose much of their significance

lol, yep, that was an interesting lesson to learn.
    There’s paths that aren’t on the map that are definite paths.
    And paths that are on the map that deposit you in the middle of a thicket of gorse bushes with no means of escape. 😆

tjagain

Molgrips – go to an area like mugdock and follow your nose. Its a good way although local knowledge helps

philjunior
    Free Member

Molgrips, as iainc said, if you get on the GMBC club page there are plenty of rides locally and with it coming into summer we’ll probably have some evening rides away. Some of us that don’t live in the Milngavie area have been doing some exploration out other ways, too.

As others have said, maps are useful but won’t have all the trails marked. I’m sure if you head out of the city in any direction and follow your nose you’ll find something worth riding though, and if you want to ride out of the city rather than take the train, the canal and things give some options to avoid the traffic.

There’s a lot of road biking in the area too, heading in the general direction of Stirling gives good options (if you’re going to Stirling, get to Kilsyth, go over the Tak me Doon, and go straight on at Carron Bridge – super easy navigation).

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If you go out on your own take a pocketful of drugs just in case you need to negotiate your way out of a situation.

poah
    Free Member

mtb Glasgow meet up have several rides a week.

https://www.meetup.com/Mountainbikeglasgow/

franksinatra

Danny Macaskill usually finds plenty of riding in Glasgow, just watch his videos then think like Danny

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you go out on your own take a pocketful of drugs just in case you need to negotiate your way out of a situation.

You’ll have had your tea?…

molgrips
    Free Member

Anywhere to avoid cycling through?

ransos
    Free Member

45 minutes on the train to the sunshine coast, Loads of wicked riding around Largs, be glad to show you about. Then beer in the local, train back to Weej. aces.

I did a cracking road ride in that area – Largs, Wemyss, Bridge of Weir.

tjagain

Not really. I have heard there is good biking around govan and easterhouse 😉

tjagain

PS – do not take my last post seriously! Like any big city avoid the big council estates.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

East Kilbride, it’s full of old men trying to manual in car parks….

hainman
    Free Member

The kilpatrick hills has a lot of riding,some good xc loops and some more serious stuff
    I ride there a lot with mates as we stay local
    Train to old kilpatrick any time you fancy shown about give me a shout

hainman
    Free Member
    joshvegas
    Free Member

Fixed gear and go full urban.

Glasgow is a greatplace to live

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    East Kilbride, it’s full of old men trying to manual in car parks….

aye, very good 🙂

I’ll not start on the ‘shire jokes….. 😀

rene59
    Free Member

I’d stay out the rivers and canals.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Areas to avoid?

Afaik, there’s been a couple of fatalities in the past year on the roundabouts near duntocher.

Worth bearing in mind incase you’re travelling to the kilpatricks via great western road.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.