Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cramp
  • Harry_the_Spider

I can get it bad after a few hours of riding.

How do you avoid it?

wwaswas

I now use SIS in my drinks and wear Skins shorts.

I used to get it at anything over 2 hours riding. Fine now.

lipseal
    Free Member

I’ve tried all sorts and nothing helps. I just get on with it, if it gets too bad I get off and walk for a bit. Think I’m just prone to it or might be my meds I’m taking?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambon
    Free Member

Some people (me) get it bad, others don’t.

1+ Getting off and walking for a bit does help.

1+ Electrolytes too. Decathlon bags are inexpensive. Nuuns don’t work for me but others swear by them.

Not boozing the night before is really beneficial!

emsz
    Free Member

get fitter 😀

Harry_the_Spider

get fitter

Cheeky git!

I’m guilty of not drinking enough water. I shall up my intake and, when required, wee in the bushes.

emsz
    Free Member

where do you get cramp?

lunge

I’m told tonic water is quite good, the quinine in it is suposed to help.

Harry_the_Spider

where do you get cramp?

Quads.

instanthit
    Free Member

Ive had similar problems and have found when doing a longer ride, over 50miles on the road or 3 plus hours on mtb, i use sis energy drink the day before as a carbo load (sipping throughout the day plus usual water intake) and then use sis eloctrolyte on the ride. Suplemented by energy gels, sis and torque (something about rhubarb and custard energy gels that is sooo appealing).

emsz
    Free Member

right then, big muscle used mostly for cycling, right? Don’t you think it’s odd that a “electrolyte imbalance” effects only that muscle? Maybe it’s nothing to do with that, and everything to do with how strong that muscle is?

crikey
    Free Member

It’s most likely to be, as noted above, a lack of fitness. Some current thinking about cramp is that it is an expression of neuro-muscular fatigue, and is probably not really related to electrolytes.

The science is here; http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-1-theories-and.html.

Basically, if you are low on electrolytes, how has it happened? you sweat out far more water than salts, so the concentration of salt in your body goes up, not down while exercising… Plus, if you are low on electrolytes, why do you only get cramp in the muscles you are using most, and not every muscle?

More training, not more salt.

Edit; fist bump to Emsz…

Harry_the_Spider

I get it in my feet also when I’m asleep.

emsz
    Free Member

So did my mum when she was pregnant with me pervy little brov!

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Used to get it in quads,hams and adductors, sometimes all at the same time. I’m a “salty sweater” – always loads of salty residue when sweat dries. Wondered if that’s why I got it so bad?

Longer lycras when really cold helped, but ELETE additive helped completely settle this.

Having said that, now much less problem now I’m fitter so I’m sure thats part of it too.

crikey
    Free Member

Used to get it in quads,hams and adductors, sometimes all at the same time. I’m a “salty sweater” – always loads of salty residue when sweat dries

If you read through the above link, you’ll find that ‘salty sweaters’ are pretty much an invention to sell more electrolyte drink…

instanthit
    Free Member

And yes cramp has decreased as fitness improved!!
    But still like the carbo load.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Cramp can be caused by muscle fatigue so Emsz cheeky comment might not be far off it 🙂

Otherwise electrolytes and plenty of stretching should help.

jonba
    Free Member

I agree with what has been said above. Cramp is not an electrolyte issue if it’s restricted to individual muscle groups. The type of cramp that is caused by electrolyte imbalance would affect muscles at random.

Theres been quite a lot of work done on the subject. There was an interesting blog post on cyclingtipsblog a while back if you search for it.

Unfortunately it is a fitness thing. I know I cramp up when I’m pushing too hard in a race. But equally I’ve cramped in 45 minutes riding a horse using muscles I didn’t normally use (though, rising trot with out stirrups is just impossible for mortals surely).

tragically1969
    Free Member

I agree with what has been said above. Cramp is not an electrolyte issue if it’s restricted to individual muscle groups. The type of cramp that is caused by electrolyte imbalance would affect muscles at random.

Really ? Even if the major muscle group responsible for the activity is the one that cramps ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cramp’ is closed to new replies.