Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cramp
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

About four hours into yesterdays ride I started to get cramp in my thighs. I got off and walked for a minute or so and it went but is there anything I can do to prevent it in future?

Thanks.

forge197
    Free Member

I suffer from cramps regularly, for me it seems primarliy related to hydration and fitness.

As my fitness has dropped I've been getting more cramp, when I get fitter I will get less so there is an incentive it I need one!! and I've been taking multi vitamins which seems to help too.

Your post reminded me to sort out some energy gels or a drink powder to replace the minerals sweated out!!

Paulio
    Free Member

I suffer from cramps after about 50Km and have found that adding an electrolyte/mineral supplement to my water, something like Elete water, sorts it out. I do sweat more than anyone else I know though so need to regularly top up my salts!

forge197
    Free Member

Paulio, that Elete stuff looks excellent and being Diabetic seems spot on will order that and give it a try, the issue with the other electrolyte powders is they are not entirely ideal for diabetic's.

ETA – now ordered some

Paulio
    Free Member

Glad to be of help. Although not diabetic I like it as I can control how I take in carbohydrate on a long ride. Hope it sorts you out. Might be worth trying some others like Nunn tablets as different ones seem to work better for different people.

Paul

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think fitness is important, I generally get them when pushing myself a bit harder and further than normal. I find stretching when I stop for a snack etc helps. Massaging your legs helps to get rid of the cramp.

nicks
    Free Member

used to suffer quite abit after 5-6hours, started using this and touch wood since havent had any !

http://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Endurolytes-Powder-Electrolyte-Replenishment/dp/B001AX8JF4

cheers

nick s

Taff
    Free Member

I suffer after 2.5-3 hours and it's a salt deficiency and a lack of rehydration. Upped my salt intake (I never added any when cooking) and I also try to drink more. Been pretty good since. Also use torq energy gels as they're the only ones I've found that help

joolsburger
    Free Member

Great stuff guys -Thanks

knott4me
    Free Member

tonic water helps me but i still get it after 30 mls hard riding i ease off & it goes.

shoefiti
    Free Member

knott4me – Member

tonic water helps me but i still get it after 30 mls hard riding i ease off & it goes.

Do you mix that with anything? how do stop the lemon slice getting stuck in your camelback valve?

MrTall
    Free Member

I used to suffer quite badly from cramps but got it sorted once i started using Nuun tablets (avaialable at Wiggle) before my rides.

Taste ok and cramps went away (as long as you still hydrate yourself during the ride).

I am also a diabetic (for a whole 5 weeks now!) and was happy to see that they contain no carbohydrate so no worries about using them.

c9tln
    Free Member

i've suffered with cramp before,seemed to be my seatpost wasn't out enough and my legs weren't opening up properly,ended up having to buy a 400mm seatpost as my 350mm was at it's limit,haven't had it since.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i cramp up after about 2 hard hours, or 4 if pootling.

i'm very much from the school of 'eat a big bowl of porridge and that'll do all day' sports nutrition

obviously i'm wrong and it isn't enough, and i need to think about fuel/salts if i'm doing a longer ride.

a pinch of salt in my water seems to help though.

i've tried some of the Torq powder stuff, and it did seem to work, and it has none of those bloody awfull sweeteners in.

BigJohn

Tonic water is only any good if it's the sort that still has quinine in it. But then it's really effective. Drink it before the ride.

nuke

Use to suffer cramps on long rides but started using Nuun tablets and problem solved. I keep the canister under the bladder in my Camelbak so they are always there when needed. Personally I found if I used them before cycling I'd wee more so would only add them to my bladder a couple of hours into a ride. Also you don't need to add as many as they recommend which is something like 1 tablet per 50ml iirc…1 in a 2L bladder worked fine.

turneround

Another vote here for Hammer Endurolyte pills here, 2 – 3 per hour depending on how hot it is… I've never had cramp since using these..

djflexure

+1 for Nuun. I also started taking them the day before longer rides. No more cramp.

zaskar
    Free Member

Use cadence and stop that lactic acid kicking in!

Candodavid
    Free Member

From here

use about 10 per 3l mix of drink ….no cramp for me, if it does decide to rear it's ugly head I just put a few under my tongue

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cramp’ is closed to new replies.