Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Craft maker exhibitors. Advice required on increasing sales.
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I have been making concrete related products during my spare time and my wife and I have decided that we need to give the idea one big push before conceding defeat. So far, marketing has consisted of a FB page and a web site. So really lame!

So far I have sold 2 clocks.

We are contemplating attending a few craft fairs in Dorset, but I wanted to ask others on here whether they might have any better ideas on how to get our products out there. We cannot afford to take a punt on expensive magazine advertising as that is always a gamble and is very expensive.

bentandbroken

I don’t know much about this sort of thing, but was listening to two traders talking at the Dorchester show. One was extolling the virtues of the Christmas market at the Bovington Tank Museum. He said the costs per ‘pitch’ were the lowest of any show, it is fully covered so benefits from bad weather and the spend was the highest of the year (sorry, can’t remember what he was selling)

As it is just round the corner from you it might be worth a shot… (Pun intended)

5thElefant
    Free Member

No idea. But I can say it’s a very nice clock.

flanagaj
    Free Member

No idea. But I can say it’s a very nice clock.

Looks great!. That’s made my day to see one adorning a wall in someone’s house.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I don’t know much about this sort of thing, but was listening to two traders talking at the Dorchester show. One was extolling the virtues of the Christmas market at the Bovington Tank Museum. He said the costs per ‘pitch’ were the lowest of any show, it is fully covered so benefits from bad weather and the spend was the highest of the year (sorry, can’t remember what he was selling)

As it is just round the corner from you it might be worth a shot… (Pun intended)We have discovered that you need to plan months and months in advance (not my strong point) if you want to get a pitch. A great many of them are sold out months in advance.

siwhite
    Free Member

Flanagaj – got a link to your website so we can see your product? I’m after a nice clock for my workshop…

toby1

Instagram could be a better option with pretty things than facebook. Hashtags are important for people stumbling across your stuff though. Also, getting your product into a local friendly shop or 2, things people can see or touch are likely to sell better than things they can’t.

Etsy also worth a look if you don’t have a store.

Big money on advertising isn’t worth it these days, getting people to spread the word of your product via social media however is worth a lot more.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

If I saw that photo while flicking through the Grauniad’s weekend mag I’d be googling to see where the clock came from. It’s v classy – looks more Kings Road Heals than craft fair to me

flanagaj
    Free Member

http://www.theconcretelab.co.uk

I am now also making them with either a walnut veneered face or a maple veneered face with white acrylic hour markers.

everyone
    Free Member

Your link isn’t working flan, just takes me back to the forum.

joeydeacon
    Free Member
    flanagaj
    Free Member

@joeydeacon – thanks

Rorschach
    Free Member

Main issue for me…….Concrete + clock=£150
    Nice though.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Should add that you might want to try giving a couple away for free – maybe get the local school(s) involved where the students design a clock for the school – the winning design gets made and given to the school, and the kid wins a prize – can then get local press involved and increase publicity? Or just send a couple of samples to popular interior design/lifestyle magazines/blogs for free publicity?

Basically anything like that gets your company name / web address out there.

Edit: Or approach local privately owned shops and see if they’d stock a few on a sale or return basis?

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Also the clock looks totally different (and much nicer) than I was expecting – ‘concrete related products’ didn’t have me salivating

doris5000

you can copy and paste it tho 😉

those clocks – and the lamps – look absolutely great IMO. Out of my price range unfortunately but I’m sure you can find plenty of buyers…

My very limited experience of craft fairs (more art-related) is that you need to offer a range of products. With art, you can have prints retailing for £50+ but what really sells are greetings cards, badges and fridge magnets at £2 a pop. It’s hard to find people who want to spend £100+ there and then, although I’m sure there are markets out there for these people!

I agree with the point about getting on Instagram, and also about hustling on Social media. It can feel embarrassing but if you set everything up you can be surprised by how much your friends and family will spread the word occasionally!

The Guardian thing is a good point too. You’ve got some really good looking photos there, that would look at home in any fancy lifestyle magazine. Spend a day googling them, and then emailing their features editor (or whoever) to ask if they’d be interested in doing a little piece on these unique and handmade etcs.

Also if you can get stocked in a local independent furniture / décor type shop it’s probably worth it. They’ll take a fair cut but it puts them in a space where people are looking to buy that kind of thing.

See, this is the problem with self-employment in this kind of area. It’s all very well doing the fun bit, but if you want to make any actual money, you have to work really hard at the boring bit 😉

matt_outandabout

Sale or return in nice design houses worked for a friend and his designer woodwork/furniture business. We spent a day around London village delivering shelves and coffee tables – all sold in a couple of weeks, so orders came in…

the-muffin-man

I’d get in with your local interior design shops and spread from there.

Get in you car and visit them personally though, not via email!

And just a little thing – an indication of weight for the clocks may be useful. It may put some people off buying if they think they’ve got to get someone in to drill and plug a stronger hook (yep, many people can’t use a drill!).

doris5000

Also the clock looks totally different (and much nicer) than I was expecting – ‘concrete related products’ didn’t have me salivating

that’s not a bad point either 😆

This stuff is way cool at the moment. Brutalist architecture, 20th Century modernism, MNML living, all that. If you can hitch your wagon to that particular movement you might draw a few people in. I mean look at this instagram page – 100,000 followers and all he does is post pictures of concrete buildings…

https://www.instagram.com/brutal_architecture/

flanagaj
    Free Member

Unfortunately, plugging on social media is not my strong point. I am going to contact some of the magazines to see whether they may be interested in putting the product in the magazine in return for a free clock that they can then use in a competition.

the-muffin-man

Unfortunately, plugging on social media is not my strong point.

Sorry – but in this market, you need to learn this skill.

Edit – you seem to have links to every social media outlet going on your website. Narrow it down a bit – FB, Instagram, Pinterest to start with and expand if necessary.

Edit 2! – only the Facebook link seems to work. Delete the others if not used?

flanagaj
    Free Member

Edit – you seem to have links to every social media outlet going on your website

Haha. I know, but haven’t figured out how to disable them.

danradyr1
    Free Member

My whole business is based around fairs, mainly Christmas markets. I used to do loads but now only do Cardiff (starts on Nov10) and Bath (starts Nov24) both of which account for about 75% of my salary. You need to contact a couple of markets and though they will be full you need to get on the waiting list as there are always people that pull out last minute.

I don’t do FB, twitter or instagram (I can barely cope as it is). I get some sales through my website (am I allowed to put it in…..www.welshslateshop.co.uk). Prices range from £5 to £100+ which is important for the markets and make sure you have enough stock. My first day on a Christmas stall in Cardiff I sold out of everything. The best markets will cost loads and there is a premium on the best locations. I always think cheap rents on some markets are cheap for a reason.

Any other advice you need just email me through my site.

Good luck

stumpy01

Craft fair to me brings to mind items from a few quid to perhaps £50.
    The sort of place I might wonder in and buy something if it caught my eye…..while I like the look of your stuff, I wouldn’t part with that much cash at a craft fair.

How about ETSY and like others have said get a presence on Facebook and also look at selling stuff through stores who are more likely to attract the kind of customer who would spend £150 on a clock…

flanagaj
    Free Member

We were accepted on Not on the high st, but wasn’t convinced it was the right market so never finished the application. Etsy seems to be full of nice products, but sold for a pittance.

pictonroad

Two friends of mine, started in a shed make from discarded garage doors, they had to work HARD on the plugging, trade shows, media, visiting every shop, now they make a living from it.

Mineheart

The designing and making bit is only a tiny bit of the whole story. If you’re really certain you’re not up for that bit (I wouldn’t be) then perhaps contact an existing design studio? See if you can sell your stuff direct to them, they do all that but you make less money.

flanagaj
    Free Member

My whole business is based around fairs, mainly Christmas markets. I used to do loads but now only do Cardiff (starts on Nov10) and Bath (starts Nov24) both of which account for about 75% of my salary. You need to contact a couple of markets and though they will be full you need to get on the waiting list as there are always people that pull out last minute.

I don’t do FB, twitter or instagram (I can barely cope as it is). I get some sales through my website (am I allowed to put it in…..www.welshslateshop.co.uk). Prices range from £5 to £100+ which is important for the markets and make sure you have enough stock. My first day on a Christmas stall in Cardiff I sold out of everything. The best markets will cost loads and there is a premium on the best locations. I always think cheap rents on some markets are cheap for a reason.

Any other advice you need just email me through my site.

Good luckVery nice products and although different I think we appeal to a similar end market. I will have a look at Cardiff and Bath markets.

Do you use galleries or just sell direct to the customer through your web site and via Christmas fairs?

kayak23

Difficult thing if like me, you love the creative side and making things but are rubbish at selling yourself.

I make furniture, lighting, sheds but this is alongside a full time job so can’t really plough everything into it.
    I have a few things at a local shop who sell items from craftspeople. I’ve sold a few bits but not much.
    Also done a local show, Made in Leamington which is good to do, but as mentioned, people are unwilling to spend much and quite honestly don’t appreciate individual pieces and high craftsmanship in my experience. They still expect Ikea prices.

Beautiful clocks though and I’m sure you’d do well to visit lots of interiors shops with them.

I have mixed feelings about social media. It’s all so fleeting.

frogstomp

Your products page just comes up as blank for me, although clicking on the slider on the front page does work.

toby1

Dorset local bloggers

If you were to ask these guys for someone local who could do some social media for you you’d likely find someone who could help, however, expect to be asked to pay a fee.

manvstarmac

I sell/create brand awareness for safaris costing upwards of £10K (and up to £100k) at craft fairs, so I wouldn’t be too quick to write them off as not being suitable for £150 clocks. Pick your craft fair though as they’re not all equal. As others have said they’re a bugger to get into and when you’re there you need to know what to do and how to do it. Go and check out a few as a punter and talk to other exhibitors (when they’re not busy obviously).

Repeating what’s been said previously, designing and making the products isn’t the same as running a business. Having said that it seems you’ve got a good product which is half the battle. I suggest seeing if your bank’s business manager or local chamber of commerce can recommend someone to talk to (for free) who will go through the other aspects you need to make a company succeed. Most of these are things you would have had to put into a business plan, had you needed investment or a loan in the first place.

We had investors from Day 1 and they became our board, even when we were two guys working out of a spare bedroom. It was a fantastic discipline to have to explain things to other people on a quarterly basis. They were also a great sounding board for new ideas or disputes between us. Hopefully you’ll have seen the value of outside help from the excellent advice in the replies above.

Good luck.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

We were accepted on Not on the high st, but wasn’t convinced it was the right market so never finished the application

See NotHS is exactly where I’d start looking if I were looking for a special or different version of something ubiquitous – like say a clock. It looks great in situ – you need to befriend some interior designers and have it displayed in show homes and ‘aspirational’ lifestyle photo shoots

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Home

This exhibition is on at my place just now very crafty and very good quality.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I really liked the first look at the lamp. However £275 😮

Nice looking lamp, but what puts me off is that the cable isn’t internally routed, and I don’t like the fact its not touch on and off. Switches are so 20th century 😆

The I found this similar light (different designer) £420 😮

Maybe give some posh shops a call and ask them if they want to stock your stuff?

IHN

Unfortunately, plugging on social media is not my strong point.

We were accepted on Not on the high st, but wasn’t convinced it was the right market so never finished the application

See, now, to be brutal, it sounds like you want to sell stuff (and it looks like well made, quality stuff) but you can’t be arsed doing the legwork that’s involved.

It’s all very well doing the fun bit, but if you want to make any actual money, you have to work really hard at the boring bit

This.

danradyr1
    Free Member

Cheers Flan.

I did put a couple of the massive wineracks in to galleries etc but it didn’t really work out due to the weight and awkwardness of the slate. I also wholesaled to shops but that was a lot of work for very little return as they want to buy at approx half of retail price. They will also say that they will buy loads off you every month but this never materialises. Are you prepared to sell your clocks at 50%?

Saying that if you have 100+shops it will be worthwhile. But getting to 100+ shops is the hard work – lots of trade shows all over the country. A guy on the markets used to provide his product to over 650 shops including the big department stores, and was employing 17 people. His turnover was huge but he lost a contract and decided to pack in wholesaling and just does the markets. Now he has no stress, no employees to worry about, does not need to pander the needs of shops and more importly earns more now than he did at his busiest.

If you do decide to go down the markets route you need much more range (there are a couple of stalls around that sell clocks)and you could do something similar to my range but whether it’s cost effective is another matter. Don’t worry about social media, I have never done it.

Regarding this year’s markets there is more chance that you will get on in Cardiff than Bath and if you do a market in one of those wooden sheds be sure to bring your display to the front of the shed. All the newbies usually set up with a couple of tables inside the stall. This does not work as the public do not walk into the stall, as they don’t want to feel under pressure to buy. So take your display to them and they can clearly see your products from the pavement.

flanagaj
    Free Member

@danradyr1 – I did consider the galleries, but decided that I don’t want this to become a job which involves churning out product after product for little return.

if you do a market in one of those wooden sheds be sure to bring your display to the front of the shed

I have some very cool display stands made of steel which can be brought right to the front of any show I attend.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Nice looking products but the prices….

Reckon you need to speak to this guy

ctk
    Free Member

I think you need to get your products in some shops, posh design shops etc

I think to do well at craft fairs you would need some cheaper products- I’m not saying drop your prices but come up with some ideas that can be sold for £50ish?

I also wonder whether concrete work surfaces might be a money spinner.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Craft maker exhibitors. Advice required on increasing sales.’ is closed to new replies.