• This topic has 34 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Rosss.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • SC Hightower owners
  • antares
    Free Member

Just in the process of building a Hightower and wondered what fork offset people are running? Cheers

antares
    Free Member

Anyone?

singlespeedstu

And a picture…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Jyv3AA]2016-07-10_02-15-20[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

antares
    Free Member

Cheers. Don’t know if I’m just over thinking it. I’ve ordered 51mm but read a couple of things since that suggest 46mm may be the way to go. I’m not sure if I’d even notice the difference between the two. 🙂

By the way what travel did you opt for?

singlespeedstu

160. 😉

hughjayteens
    Free Member

51mm Pike 140s on mine. It’s awesome! That said, I’m probably going to try some Fox 36s in 160 as theirs A2C is pretty much the same as Pike 150s.

Rosss
    Free Member

Got 150mm 36s for mine with 51 offset. Going to extend them to 160mm after seeing this thread!

Hugh I need those wheels on mine (or atleast the graphics)

timmys

150 mm Pikes, 51 offset.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve got some Float X2 envy going on right now! I’m pretty impressed by the standard Monarch RT3 to be honest, so a well setup X2 must be incroyable!

antares
    Free Member

I went for the 51mm offset and 140mm in the end. I know what you’re saying about the Float X2 hughjayteens 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/MriAEj]2016-09-26_08-24-25[/url] by Jeevester, on Flickr

nicolaisam
    Free Member

150mm 51mm Ohlins when they arrive

singlespeedstu

The X2 is a great upgrade.
    I’m thinking of trying a 57Mm stroke shock on mine.
    Ups the rear travel to 150 from what I’ve read…

camerone
    Free Member

SSTU – be interested to hear how you get on if the travel can get to 150mm…..

Rosss
    Free Member

Stu, would also be interested to hear the results of that. I saw a picture somewhere captioned seat tube damage from a longer shock on a Hightower I’m trying to refind now. Not sure whether it was a longer stroke or eye to eye though.

singlespeedstu

There is a thread on MTBR about running a longer stroke shock.
    Same eye to eye. The BB height adjuster chip allows the shock to fit…
    One of the SC test riders had been using it in a few races.
    If I’m not mistaken the 200×50 X2 is the same as the 200×57 but with a spacer to stop the extra travel.
    Might see about getting it removed when I get the shock serviced.

Rosss
    Free Member

That would make it a seriously capable bike, I’ll look into it!

I haven’t even ridden my Monarch yet but it seems like the X2 is the way to go

timmys

Lols at the Enve owners with X2 envy!

Pro Tip: with the cash you would have saved going with some carbon wheels from the likes of Blue Flow Bikes you could have bought an four X2’s (and had a spare Monarch) 😉

hughjayteens
    Free Member

LOL fair point Timmys!

I’ve read the MTBR thread re a longer shock and like the idea but worry about warranty invalidation and seatpost rubbing so might let someone else try it first!

dazh

Thread hijack. How do people find the geometry/sizing? I’ve been thinking of one of these and at 5’9″ (32″ inside leg and arms on the shorter side) I’m on the fence between a medium and large. I’ve got a mk1 solaris medium which has very similar reach and tt length as a medium hightower but I’m still not convinced. I’ve very little chance of riding one to test and it’s too much cash to guesstimate the right size 🙁

timmys

I’ve very little chance of riding one to test and it’s too much cash to guesstimate the right size

I fear those two thing are mutually incompatible. I think Santa Cruz dealers are pretty responsive to getting in demo bikes at customer requests. Do you not have a dealer anywhere nearby?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’m 6′ and rider a large. I sat on an XL and it felt massive. I fancy a 170mm drop Reverb and the XL was too tall to use one of these so I went with a large and a 50mm stem and it’s perfect. with shortish arms I think an L might be a tad too long but trying one is the only real option. Most SC dealers should have one on demo I’d have thought.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

6ft 1.5″ XL with 50mm stem

Demo bike was perfect

trickydisco
    Free Member

Thread hijack. How do people find the geometry/sizing? I’ve been thinking of one of these and at 5’9″ (32″ inside leg and arms on the shorter side) I’m on the fence between a medium and large. I’ve got a mk1 solaris medium which has very similar reach and tt length as a medium hightower but I’m still not convinced. I’ve very little chance of riding one to test and it’s too much cash to guesstimate the right size

I’m exactly the same build as you 5’9 with 32″ leg. I test rode a Large for a weekend in afan and found it fitted me perfectly (50mm stem). I think it fits better than my medium pitch (which now feels like the wrong bike)

(i’m normally a medium on most bikes)

dazh

I’m exactly the same build as you 5’9 with 32″ leg. I test rode a Large for a weekend in afan and found it fitted me perfectly (50mm stem).

Thanks TD, that’s very useful. Not rushing into buying one just yet and will sit on one at the very least if I can’t find a demo anywhere nearby (Todmorden). I wouldn’t normally consider a large but I’ve ridden a large salsa pony rustler and that was fine which is what got me thinking.

antares
    Free Member

Pro Tip: with the cash you would have saved going with some carbon wheels from the likes of Blue Flow Bikes you could have bought an four X2’s (and had a spare Monarch)

I didn’t pay much more than Blue Flow money for my Enves 🙂

nicolaisam
    Free Member

antares – Member

Pro Tip: with the cash you would have saved going with some carbon wheels from the likes of Blue Flow Bikes you could have bought an four X2’s (and had a spare Monarch)

I didn’t pay much more than Blue Flow money for my Enves

ha ha.

How is the X2 tempted by this

simonjj
    Free Member

51mm offset Fox 36 here as well…

Had it just under a month now and very impressed.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Dazh – I test rode one last Friday. I’m 5’9″ with a 30″ inside leg. It fit fine except the reverb seat post was slammed right down almost onto the nut. If I was going to drop the cash on one I’d probably take a medium for a ride too. Why do bike manufacturers put average height people right on the line of a frame size change?! A person of average height should be slap bang in the medium size.

trickydisco
    Free Member

wobbliscott> what size was it?

stuker
    Free Member

I put some blue flow 650b+ wheels with 2.8 maxxis rekons and a Lyrik 160 (51 offset) on mine yesterday. very nice

cpon
    Free Member

a person of average height should be slap bang in the medium size.

The average height of a person varies from country to country. Should a medium suit the average height of a Dutchman or a Korean?

singlespeedstu

How much difference are you noticing between the Lyrik and your old Pike?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Tricky – it was a Large. I had about a couple of mm gap between the bottom of the reverb nut and the collar. Perfectly fine but I think i’d probably err on the side of a medium if I was going to buy one. The bike fit fine other than that – reach wasn’t too much at all with a short 30 – 35mm stem. It was a lovely ride.

Also I would probably run a longer travel fork too, the BB was very low and I was getting alot of heavy pedal strikes. It was on plus wheels so a 150mm fork, and i’d go for a 29er with a 150mm fork cashing in the extra 10mm fork length and the larger diameter of the wheels to reduce pedal strikes.

stuker
    Free Member

@ SSStu….only had one ride on the lyrik so far so early days but it does seem to ride higher in the travel than the pike.

Rosss
    Free Member

Finally managed to get mine built. Only ridden it up the road so far but it feels ace, front end is a little lower than I was expecting so I might extend the 36s to 160 to compensate. Hope crank is a stand in until I get find a XX1 to suit but looks and feels great. Build is 27.4 without pedals. Will be getting a Float X2 when they’ve finished exploding

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘SC Hightower owners’ is closed to new replies.