Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cracked Orange Alpine! wots it worth? (sorry)
  • robidoo
    Free Member

I have an orange alpine with a cracked rear triangle, spoke to orange a while back and they said they could take my frame re-paint it and replace the rear triangle new bearings & decals etc for £350ish if I remember, it was a while back.
    I have since bought a heckler frame so the alpine is up in the loft what is it worth for sale as it, is or would you have it repaired and re sprayed then sell it on.
    It’s a 2009 16 inch with a fox dh3 coil shock btw.

compositepro
    Free Member

can it not be repaired

totalshell

non ferrous scrap prices are rising so now is not the time to sell.

easygirl

£150 a tonne for ally at the moment

xiphon
    Free Member

£150 a tonne for ally at the moment

First time a Kona’s been worth more than an Orange, ha!

RustyMac

Get the new rear swing arm, service, re-spray then sell it on, you will get loads more for it that way.

Confirm with Orange what it will cost then offer it up on the classifieds offering the buyer the option to pick the colour.

chestrockwell

I’d get Orange to do the work if I were you. A repaint costs £200 so £150 for a new rear sounds ok. You can then sell as a minter and get loads of lovely cash. I’d expect around £700 to £800 for a 2009 5 frame so I guess an Alpine would be around the same?

monkeyboyjc

on ebay prob £2-300ish unrepaired or £6-800+ if done by orange.

robidoo
    Free Member

Nice idea rusty mac,will speak to Orange.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How much would orange want for just a new swingarm? Might be the cheepest/best value option?

robidoo
    Free Member

If I remember they wouldn’t sell me one, or it was just as expensive as having the whole frame sent back.

Speshpaul

“A repaint costs £200”
    Best check out Argos first.
    Just order a black rear triangle. one colour fits all

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

If you decide to sell as it is I think i know someone who would take it.

robidoo
    Free Member

gk-willy yhm.

messiah
    Free Member

Mate of mine has his welded localy… twice. But where we live there are people who weld helicopters and stuff so these guys know their onions.

edlong
    Free Member

Mate of mine has his welded localy… twice. But where we live there are people who weld helicopters and stuff so these guys know their onions.

Begs the question as to why it needed doing twice then? If they did my helicopter, I’d really be hoping they got it welded properly the first time.

xiphon
    Free Member

Who said it cracked in the same place twice?

messiah
    Free Member

Who said it cracked in the same place twice?

Correctamundo… but it was three when i think about it… twice on the front triangle and once on the rear swingarm. It was an early Alpine so had a one year warrantee. Owner got a repaired/new front triangle from orange after six months, but when the crack appeared in the swingarm after 14 months it was time to weld, and again when the third crack appeared in the front triangle.

We’ve also had Giant, Mongoose, Haro and Trek’s repaired locally with mixed results… depending who does the welding… needs must and all that.

chestrockwell

“A repaint costs £200”
    Best check out Argos first.

Forgot to add that the £200 includes new decals, head badge, bushes/pivots and postage. I priced up getting my 5 powder coated somewhere else and when you took the extra’s in to account there was very little difference in price.

messiah
    Free Member

Thread reserection time… that’s another friend of mine cracked an Alpine 160 swingarm.

No warranty so it’s option time.
    1) £450 crash replacement fix from Orange
    2) Off to the local welder bloke (who fixes helicopters)
    3) Sell front triangle and shock and buy something else

Not impressed.

Bagstard
    Free Member

As an alpine owner with no warranty, any idea how the cracks occurred?

edd

I haven’t cracked my Alpine 160. Am I doing something wrong?

messiah
    Free Member

From my mate…

I say crack but it’s actually a failed weld / hole with around 4 hairline cracks creeping out from it

It’s an ex-demo, he’s raced the Mega on it, and he rides mountains (in the way bikes like this are meant for).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

quite a few of the earlier ones cracked, around the weld vent holes in the lower centre section of the swingarm. They changed the design and IIRC removed the holes in later versions.

Have a look on ebay, theres usually at least one front triangle on there…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cracked Orange Alpine! wots it worth? (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.