Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cracked frame – Scott CX bike
  • ThePilot
    Free Member

Anybody got any ideas as to what to do about this?
    The bike is only one year old and has only ever been used for light use.
    Both the retailer and Scott have told me to ‘do one’ in effect.
    Damage was caused after the bike fell over after being leant against a road sign.
    I think that if the frame is that flimsy, then it’s not fit for purpose but would be interested to know what STW thinks.
    Also, would you still ride it? It has a dent and hairline crack about half way up the top tube.
    Cheers.

sambob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ride it if it had a crack, but I’d ride it gingerly if it was just a dent. In their defense it’s not a manufacturing issue, frames are pretty thin. See if you can get a crash replacement discount or something, but you’d be very lucky to get a whole new frame for free.

thomthumb
    Free Member

not fit for purpose

only if it’s purpose is to

fall over after being leant against a road sign

have you asked for crash replacement?

mega
    Free Member

but I’d ride it gingerly

racist 🙂

depends how bad the crack is I guess as to whether to ride it or not – any pics?
    maybe get a crash replacement then sell it and vote with your wallet next time you buy a bike?

woody2000

Sorry, but you dropped it – I’d tell you to do one too. Or maybe if I was feeling generous I’d try to work something out if there was a crash replacement offer in place.

Fit for riding around on and fit for being dropped on the floor are not the same thing.

Jase
    Free Member

Boll****, I have one of these!

Whilst companies don’t design bikes with falling over whilst leant against a sign in mind, I’d agree that you’d expect it to withstand such an occurance.

Otherwise we’d have broken bikes every week.

Sancho
    Free Member

As it’s clearly not a manufacturing defect then you should see if you can work out a good will gesture from the retailer with whom your warranty is with.
    Maybe get a Kinesis at trade if you are unhappy with Scott, but in defence of Scott, I would say that their frames would be no worse in strength than other manufacturers out there, it can be unfortunate that dropping an aluminium frame they can dent easily.
    now carbon would have survived without a scratch. (stands back after lighting the blue touch paper.)

legend
    Free Member

I’d agree that you’d expect it to withstand such an occurance.

sideways force against the top tube? I wouldn’t expect a thin-walled bike to be strong against that.

I wonder if the guy who’s Turner Flux got hosed by a falling tree should’ve cried warranty too 😉

TheGingerOne

If you have the right cover on your house insurance you could claim for accidental damage on personal possessions.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cracked frame – Scott CX bike’ is closed to new replies.