Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Court attendance – obligatory?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Just had my mother on the phone in a bit of a flap, after she got home to find a court summons from some court in Bulgaria demanding her attendance in a fortnight to give evidence against someone who is being prosecuted for stealing her handbag 7 years ago!

Presume she can just ignore it without consequence – she’s in her 60s and obviously doesn’t want to go there all alone?

jon1973
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother. I wouldn’t be worried about the consequence either.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt they’d extradite her for non attendance, but I am not an expert on Bulgarian criminal or international law.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would not presume anything of the sort. Failing to attend a summons to court here gets you locked up straight away does it not?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You or she could always try to get in touch and ask?

jon1973
    Free Member

Yes, but this isn’t here, it’s in Bulgaria. The British police aren’t going to come knocking for you.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Sort of TJ, but they’re hardly likely to come over to get her are they?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

european extradition warrent?

thegreatape
    Free Member

For that?

slimraybob
    Free Member

TJ, get a grip. She’s a witness in the alleged crime, not the alleged criminal. The worst that will happen is the Bulgarian version of the CPS will drop the case.

project
    Free Member

Is he in a union.

dobo
    Free Member

scam perhaps?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Union – assuming you mean for legal advice? I think she is, a teaching one. Will suggest that.

Scam – don’t think so, it was sent Special Delivery and has a Home Office covering letter. And it does relate to a real incident.

meehaja
    Free Member

Ask these, I bet they know!

Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in London
    186-188 Queen’s Gate
    London SW7 5HL
    Tel: +44 20 7581 3144, +44 20 75849400
    Fax: +44 20 7584 4948
    E-mail: ambass.office@bulgarianembassy.org.uk

Might even get a free holiday out of it! (I knew I guy who was called to give evidence in an american trial, said he couldn’t afford the flight/hotels etc, US Govt flew him over, paid for hotels, let him stay for a week and was only in court 2 days etc)

Nipper99
    Free Member

or ask the UK Foriegn Office

thegreatape
    Free Member

She’s off to see the village solicitor tomorrow, so we’ll see what he says. Thanks.

GJP
    Free Member

Have they returned the handbag?

Edukator
    Free Member

Doesn’t she have a tame doctor? I’m sure mine would consider me inapt for travel if I asked him (probably shortly asking him to sign to say I’m fit for a race licence).

thegreatape
    Free Member

No handbag, no idea how they’ve ‘solved’ it, probably as shoddy as most of my investigations, still, they’ve stuck at it I suppose!

I suggested a doctor’s letter – she has some sort of anxiety issues already that he knows about.

konabunny
    Free Member

european extradition warrent?

They’re used against defendants and prison escapees, not witnesses. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Arrest_Warrant

irc

Presume she can just ignore it without consequence

Apart from the consequence of the bag thief getting off with it.

creamegg
    Free Member

what’s TJ been smoking? oh, hang on he’s always like this 😉

yes TJ im really sure they’ll extredite a witness for failing to turn up to court for her own handbag being nicked.

Edukator
    Free Member

Just contact the foreign office and ask for advice, they’re very helpful.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hence the question mark I used – I wondered if they would 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

She’s off to see the village solicitor tomorrow, so we’ll see what he says.

I can’t see why you’d bother with that when you already have TJ’s advice.

ski
    Free Member

I can’t see why you’d bother with that when you already have TJ’s advice.

LOL

thegreatape
    Free Member

She’s not a STWer, so doesn’t know TJ.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I would not presume anything of the sort. Failing to attend a summons to court here gets you locked up straight away does it not?

No, it’s Bulgaria, they do things differently

grum
    Free Member

Are they going to pay travel expenses?

thegreatape
    Free Member

It says expenses will be paid, although in lev, and no indication of how much.

Foreign Office can’t advise apparently.

grum
    Free Member

Free holiday then, what’s the problem? 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Free holiday then, what’s the problem?

she might have been traumatised by the original incident – making her go back to the country of the crime might be too much for her to bear.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Free holiday then, what’s the problem?

Potential to get her hand bag nicked, according to past experience.

portlyone

Other countries are allowed to have different laws and some of those end up being different from the bestest country in the whole wide world. Best not to ignore I would imagine.

jota180
    Free Member

Now I’d refuse/ignore unless I precisely knew what their powers over witnesses are.
    It’s not totally unheard of in some places to lock witnesses up if there’s any doubt over evidence until they investigate
    I seem to recall one case – SE Asia IIRC – where the witness ended up being the accused.

I’m not saying that would be the case here at all, but I’d ask them if they could arrange video evidence if at all possible.

mefty
    Free Member

To be fair to TJ, the European Arrest Warrant has been used pretty trivially by the Poles so it is probably worth putting a call into the foreign office just to put her mind at rest.

Edit: Did not see post about FO.

Lifer
    Free Member

Predictable TJ bashing, thought his advice was good. “Don’t ignore it, it could be serious if you do” but all the experts on Bulgarian law quickly sorted it out.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

EVER HEARD OF SKYPE!?

😳

konabunny
    Free Member

Predictable TJ bashing, thought his advice was good.

I’m in the TJ fan club but his two contributions were a misrepresentation of what happens in the UK and a reference to something that isn’t used for witnesses.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Foreign courts can normally do video link for witnesses abroad.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Court attendance – obligatory?’ is closed to new replies.