Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Counterfeit Pound Coins
  • eth3er
    Free Member

Do you have to be a small dreaming low sighted criminal to find this appealing?
    What are the profit margins and start up costs? What is the market share and how do you infiltrate the legitimate market? Is it really worth it?
    I am asking because I found a dodgy looking pound and I got to wondering.

clubber
    Free Member

We seem to be getting loads at work at the moment – reckon someone's putting them through the canteen.

Andituk
    Free Member

Used to be a massive problem in fruit machines, worst when lead was cheap, I think people made a fortune.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Passed one off at Waitrose today. Cost me a pound to acquire it, mind…

moreupsthandowns
    Free Member

There are about 46,000.000 counterfeit £1 Coins in circulation at any one time in the UK. Was on the TV the other night.

Cougar

How the hell can they know that without counting them?

piha
    Free Member

Cos "they" made them!!!

epicyclo

Any tips for how to make them? 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

When was the last time you saw a pound coin checked to see if it was genuine? Notes are checked all the time so much more likely to get caught.

molgrips
    Free Member

I got one from the post office in Asda. It looked like a 5 year old had made it out of clay for a school project. I took it back and pointed it out to the cashier, she was offended (which was pointless) and thought it looked fine – and then replaced it, putting the old one back in the drawer.

spooky_b329

The fakes are pretty easy to spot, dull and not very crisp, often the ridges round the outside are almost invisible where they have been pressed in.

Flaperon

Condoned behind the scenes by the BoE because it's cheaper to let the forgers add pound coins to the system than it is for them to make them themselves…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They make a different sound if you drop them onto a hard surface.

sweepy
    Free Member

In the old days you could glue together two 5p pieces and spray paint them, they used to be called 'brass margarets'

yunki
    Free Member

the statistic quoted on TV the other night is that 1 in 6 pound coins are fake..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The faces are often out of vertical alignment with each other. Also, the little cross on the side ring is less crisp than it should be.

They cost about 20p each, last time I was offered a bunch…

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I had one today. 2 £1 coins and a massive weight difference between them. Wasn't sure which was real though, didn't have time to look closely as I was handing one of them over to the spar woman…

I remember thinking "that's a 50% chance of being a crime" as I walked off. Spent the other in the same shop on the way home so….

finbar
    Free Member

In the old days you could glue together two 5p pieces and spray paint them, they used to be called 'brass margarets'

I love that. Is it true?

jon1973
    Free Member

sweepy
    Free Member

Yes completely true, at least in liverpool where I lived at the time.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Counterfeit Pound Coins’ is closed to new replies.