Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Counter House Offers Help – Scotland
  • MrGrim

I’m in a situation where I could with an outsiders perspective on etiquette and where to draw a line when making an offer on a house.

A house came up for sale which me and the wife really like. It came on the market on Friday. I called up the estate agent on Saturday and made a viewing for this week as I couldn’t get a viewing on the day itself.

Call from the estate agent this morning canceling the viewing saying the seller has accepted an offer and that they would be in touch if the sale falls through.

Do I just give up and move on or are there any other options to try and get this house? The estate agent didn’t seem interested in any other offers and there’s a good chance I could offer higher than the offer accepted. Do i contact the seller directly? She is a friend of a friend, but doesn’t know me.

Was hoping it would at least go to a closing date, but apparently not. As far as i’m aware there hasn’t been a written offer yet, just an accepted verbal one.

Any advice based on experience would be great.

althepal

Would have thought it would have to go to a closing date if there was more than one offer? It’s in their interests to get the best price..?
    Unless the estate agent is (cough) keeping it in-house (cough).

MrGrim

That was my thoughts. The house isn’t empty, the owner is still living in it so it’s not like they need out ASAP. The owner is moving as needs a smaller property due to age. I don’t think there is any major rush on the sellers part.

There was only one offer that I’m aware of. I just didn’t have time to view the property and make an offer.

jam-bo

If you want the house, contact the seller. I wouldn’t trust an estate agent to be acting in anyone’s interest but their own.

iainc

Fellow Scot here, call them up and make your offer. Its a financial deal. You are doing nowt immoral.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Being Scotland if the seller has accepted an offer then they have entered a legally binding agreement. If they pull out there could be penalties. If it was England you could try a bit of gazumping.

zeffir
    Free Member

I’d make the offer to the seller directly, first offer not legally binding till missives concluded.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No need to go to closing – offer has been accepted.

OP why aren’t your solicitors dealing with this?

Even a written offer is’t binding until conlcuded – usually takes a couple of weeks.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Being Scotland if the seller has accepted an offer then they have entered a legally binding agreement. If they pull out there could be penalties.

Maybe a written offer, but a verbal offer?
    Defo try a direct offer to the seller, or at least make an approach. Its the sellers end decision who they sell to, and for how much. Estate agents are like any other business, quick easy money first, customer satisfaction second.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Being Scotland if the seller has accepted an offer then they have entered a legally binding agreement. If they pull out there could be penalties. If it was England you could try a bit of gazumping.

Can be ways round this though. Depends on the details of the acceptance. I had an offer accepted for the house I bought, but it was subject to a satisfactory survey, so I could walk away without penalty if I’d wanted to. So it’s not always an absolute rule.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Maybe a written offer, but a verbal offer?

As a general rule, yes that would normally be the case unless there were specific conditions attached to the offer.

MrGrim

OP why aren’t your solicitors dealing with this?

I don’t normally get him involved until a written offer is required. Last two houses i bought in Scotland were verbal offer made and accepted following up with written offer. I know that some cases are different. Church of Scotland for example only accept written offers. Most estate agents will take verbal offers to their client as long as its backed up by a written offer.

Wife is going to contact the seller directly today to see what the score is.

MrGrim

Update – We went in with an offer this morning to the estate agent. The offer was higher than the verbally accepted one, but the seller felt loyalty to the original offer she accepted so turned ours down. I can understand where she is coming from.

Oh well, the hunt continues.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Counter House Offers Help – Scotland’ is closed to new replies.