Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • ebooks mobi format to android kindle app?
  • Alex

My wife has had a nexus 7 for a while. Also have about a 1000 books in mobi format. Attach my old kindle, upload books, all can be read. Try same with nexus by loading them into kindle directory. App can’t see them, neither can google book reader.

I guess it’s a DRM thing. Some conflicting advice on the web. Assume I’ll need to convert them either before or on the tablet. Any ideas on the best approach? Ta.

Why am I doing this on Xmas Day? One word. Relatives 😉

DavidB
    Free Member
    z1ppy

wot he ^ said..

Alex

downloading…ta… all tech support should be done while drinking bucks fizz 🙂

Stainypants

or you can use FBreader which you can read multiple formats and from any directory

Alex

just an update. Create epub format for the books and pushed them over to the nexus. Kindle still couldn’t see them even if they were in the right directory. Ended up loading a new reader which works fine. Will try the FBReader today.

Cougar

The Kindle app uses .mobi, not .epub.

I vaguely remember the phone app being a bit funny with picking up new titles; had to be in a specific directory I think. Might be worth a restart of the device, too.

sadexpunk

could anyone help me find the books on my wifes nexus please?

ive transferred all her books from old kindle. some bought from amazon, some already on there when she bought it second hand.

the amazon ones seemed to d/load each time she pressed them, and a quick google seems to imply theyre stored on servers to ‘save space’. obviously this means if she isnt in a wifi area she cant read them, so i long pressed them and ‘downloaded to home’. but now i cant find them. they disappeared from the archive and have gone to errrr……. where?

ive d/loaded FBreader for the nexus, and now that picks up her old mobi and epub files that were already on the old kindle, but still no amazon bought books.
    ive connected to laptop and looked through files and folders, and they all seem to be in the Books folder, but the bought ones seem to be azw, ea, apnx, mbp files rather than epub or mobi.
    im pretty sure i wont have to convert them as she could read them straight from servers, its just finding and accessing them.

could anyone explain what the file extensions mean, and how she can access the downloaded books? wheres the ‘home’ folder that ive downloaded them to??

bluddy ebooks 😀

jota180
    Free Member

IIRC *azw files are just *.mobi. With DRM

sadexpunk

ah right. i know i read about ‘calibre’ being used to change formats, and getting rid of drm etc, but why would you need to do that?

all a bit confusing really…..

Cougar

Try:

Looking in ‘Archive’.

Restarting the device.

Clearing the application cache (settings / applications / Kindle).

Removing and reinstalling the Kindle app.

sadexpunk

think ive found em ta. not found their physical presence, but at least where to read them from. interesting reading CZ, im surprised to read that you dont actually own the books, you ‘license’ them, and amazon can pull the plug on them at any time.
    no wonder people are trying to strip the DRM.

CountZero

Sadexpunk, yep, it’s really pissing off a lot of people, many of them authors, like Cory Doctorow, who has been vociferous against book DRM on his blog Boingboing.
    Amazon bought out Stanza, a superior ebook reader, because they saw it as a threat to the Kindle app, then killed it, and refused to support any upgrades when iOS was upgraded and Stanza wouldn’t work any more. I managed to find a small utility that was made by the Stanza people before they all left, to allow books to be removed and put into Calibre and other readers.
    Amazon have much to answer for.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ebooks mobi format to android kindle app?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM