Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Could there be a UK Tour Divide equivalent?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Basically it’d be LEJOG off-road but with a mass start and a bit of event buzz about it.

Pointless or fun?

MrSparkle

Could there be a UK Tour Divide equivalent?
    No, in the same way that Blackpool ain’t Las Vegas.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

I don’t see why not, I’ve had a few fun nights out in Blackpool in my student days too 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe take a small entry fee for publicity, a few signs perhaps and alerting facilities en-route so they can make a bit of a fuss if they want some extra business. Like making sure the riders can smell cooking sausages and bacon from a burger van early in the morning, for instance 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

so like a transwales or transcotland then ?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, nothing like a Trans Wales. That’s a stage race.

thepublican
    Free Member

I’m keen. If you just sort out the route…

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’m going to say that the wrt is the nearest thing we’ve got at present … although it’s still a million miles away.

In both you’ll be expected to

• Be self sufficent
    • Navigate yourself
    • Sleep under the stars (at some point)

You’ll also get nothing for coming back first 😉

Mattie_H
    Free Member

No.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah a bit like the WRT but end to end.

The route should not be a problem, lots of talk about this kind of thing online. Only thing is there’s no waymarked route so you’d need maps or some other means of allowing foreigners to find their way.

Otherwise we’d need the largest order of course tape ever placed.

philconsequence
    Free Member

allowing foreigners

i’m out.

pedalhead
    Free Member

For anything to be like the TD I think you need the element of “vastness”. I’m sure we could come up with various fun routes but the closest you’re gonna get in the UK is the Highlands & it just isn’t vast enough. Besides, how are you going to replicate the feeling of danger-sleeping in grizzly country whilst smelling of pizza and chicken nuggets?

molgrips
    Free Member

It would not be a substitute or even much like the TD, anyone knows this isn’t the Rockies.

But it might still be a larf…

matthewlhome
    Free Member

wouldnt be the same type of course but the idea of doing it self supported and all starting at the same time would be good.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I thought you were planning on doing the tour divide with panniers molgrips? Wouldn’t anything in the UK just feel incredibly lame in comparision?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I suppose you could do all the big long distance off road routes with linking sections… Plymouth to porlock, then sarn helen mtb route, then pennine bridleway, West Highland way and then remote tracks to Cape Wrath…..

sounds fun.

I’d be up for it (if I could get a pass).

molgrips
    Free Member

Wouldn’t anything in the UK just feel incredibly lame in comparision?

Just because something’s bigger elsewhere doesn’t mean you can’t do stuff at home. Alpine riding is immense but you still ride locally, don’t you?

I was kind of thinking of marketing it to foreigners – would be a cool way to see the various parts of the UK from a different perspective.

Aidan
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

I was kind of thinking of marketing it to foreigners – would be a cool way to see the various parts of the UK from a different perspective.

Marketing? You really don’t understand the Divide.

I think something more like the Colorado Trail Race would better suit the UK. More technical, less distance covered per day. It’s something that I would like to work on next year when I won’t be racing so much.

molgrips
    Free Member

Marketing? You really don’t understand the Divide.

Yes I do. Are you sure you do? Is it the same for everyone? Does everyone do it for the same reasons?

This would not be the divide replicated. Obviously it could not be.

This would be something else along similar lines but modified to make it work. People know about the divide through word of mouth, I believe the experience would could be made better if people had heard of it and knew what was going on. I would not want to wait 10 years to see if word of mouth made it popular or not.

Btw I should say ‘publicising’ rather than marketing. Ie making sure people know about it. Lots of people doing a recognised event would make it slightly different to just doing the route on your own.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Only thing is there’s no waymarked route

is the divide marked?

I was under the impression it was not.

I think an end to end ‘official’ route would be good but i think it would be a very different experience to the TD.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it is marked… Or at least the GDR was and the long distance Great Divide path is marked.

i think it would be a very different experience to the TD

Of course, it’s inevitable. Different country = different event. You’d hardly need to carry any food or water, you could probably get away without a tent even by staying in B&Bs or even hotels.

More options though. You could have it like the WRT so that you simply have to collect checkpoints along the way, to add an element of route planning.. hmm…

trail_rat
    Free Member

smells a bit like audaxing to me ….

TheBrick
    Free Member

allowing foreigners

philconsequence – Member
    i’m out.

marketing it to foreigners

You don’t learn do you.

I’m out too.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s wrong with foreigners?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think that it’s a not a bad idea. Another idea would be a off road European stage race. Say four-five routes each about 300-500 km so that overnighters were required. Self sufficient. Routes could change every year so different countries were involved. Ideally gap between routes are not too big. Maybe check point style, you choose which order to do routes in?

TheBrick
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    What’s wrong with foreigners?

Don’t get me started.

molgrips
    Free Member

Another idea would be a off road European stage race

Oh yes.. top stuff. Setting it up would be a fairly heavy operation though.

Aidan
    Free Member

No, you don’t understand it, molgrips. The GDMBR is not way-marked, it is mapped. It changes every year as they try to improve the quality of the riding, switching road for off-road and boring off-road for singletrack.

Given that I’ve ridden the race, know most of the original racers, and I’m in regular contact with the organiser of the Tour Divide, I think I do know what it’s about.

paul78
    Free Member

I like the idea of a more ‘local’ route with a mass start…

I think as soon as you start marketing or publicising extensively then you run into issues.. too many people on the trails, people signing up and not being prepared etc. (quite a nice debate starting on Bikepacking.net about the future of the TD race)

What about looking beyond the UK .. must be European versions of this forum.. stitch a gps route through to maybe southern france from a start here in UK.. publish a start time and place.. away you go.. alot of the trekking trails in France .. e.g GR5 would make excellent riding but wouldn’t support alot of traffic.

Grenzstein Trophy is in its 3rd or 4th year… I had no idea it existed and found it by chance… off to do it this year…

… low volume of riders and big miles is the appeal in these events..

philconsequence
    Free Member

silly mol 😆

i’ve got nothing against people born in places that i wasn’t born in, i dont even know what the tour divide is!

Aidan
    Free Member

Paul hit the nail on the head. Marketing is the enemy of that kind of racing unless you have a gigantic pile of cash to spend on logistics, permits, and insurance.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

‘Tis true, once the numbers start to increase then the emphasis changes and before long you’ve got a stage race on your hands … Trans whatever.

There’ll be around 90 riders on this years WRT. If they were all going the same way it would be too many and certain elements would be lost.
    If you were to try and keep numbers down on a uk TD style event, then it might become elitist and obviously small numbers would mean you’ll be hosting it for the love 😉

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Scottish Divide:
    BBC SCOTLAND

IanB
    Free Member

There’ll be around 90 riders on this years WRT

Which makes it at least as popular as the TD 8)

edit – Scottish Divide looks really cool. /goes off to have a look at the maps of Wales…

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Never thought about it like that … I can say however, that it’s the most popular 3 day, bikepacking event held in Wales at the end of May, in the WORLD! 😀

EDIT: Don’t bother, I’ve already got a “Welsh Divide” route underway … seeing as there is a physical mountain divide running N to S for a great part of it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was thinking about the scotland watershed one. Might involved rather more hikabike than some routes:-) 745 miles?

Mattie_H
    Free Member

@ Molgrips

It would not be a substitute or even much like the TD, anyone knows this isn’t the Rockies.

So why ask ‘Could there be a UK Tour Divide equivalent’?

flatfish
    Free Member

Another idea would be a off road European stage race.

What about the grenzsteintrophy?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I am googleing right now!

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I do know what it’s about

Isn’t it about different things for different people?

When I go and do it, will I be wrong?

What is it ‘about’ for you?

And why be anti-publicity? Is http://www.tourdivide.org not publicity?

So why ask ‘Could there be a UK Tour Divide equivalent’?

Long unsupported race the length of a country….?

‘Tis true, once the numbers start to increase then the emphasis changes and before long you’ve got a stage race on your hands … Trans whatever

A stage race is fundamentally different though, because each stage has a start and stop and a common end each day. And they are usually supported.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Could there be a UK Tour Divide equivalent?’ is closed to new replies.