Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cotic Soul vs Cotic BeFe
  • piemann
    Free Member

Other than 100 quid, what are the major differences between the frames? They both use some 853 and have the same geometry so, I'd have thought the rougher and tougher BeFe would have been the more expensive. Why is the Soul more expensive?

titusrider
    Free Member

Soul uses 4 tubes of 853 bfe just 1. that is basically all that causes the price differential as it was explained in Dirt

What do you want it for?

all day xc – soul
    hooning about – bfe

(although i hear its actually pretty usable as an all day bike anyway!)

MSP

isn't the bfe err… beefier, bigger tubes, stronger, able to take upto a 160 fork.

dazh

I've done 60k enduros and various other longish rides on my BFe so would say it's fine as any all day bike. A carbon/ti/suspension seatpost helps though.

brydon
    Free Member

at 5.4lbs the bfe is a pound heavier than the 4.4lbs soul. most of this is down to the use of 631 instead of 853 for three of tubes, as mentioned by titusrider.

geometry is also different.

check out the cotic site for more info – plenty there.

soul vs bfe

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

at 5.4lbs the bfe is a pound heavier than the 4.4lbs soul. most of this is down to the use of 631 instead of 853 for three of tubes, as mentioned by titusrider.

geometry is also different.

Dont listen to this guy because he doesnt have a clue

kelvin

Geometry is exactly the same with the same length forks, but you can put longer forks on the BFe, which obviously changes everything.

http://cotic.co.uk/geek/#forks

tails
    Free Member

Bfe or my one (853 version) has thicker tubes than that of my simple, so "may" produce different ride characteristics.

kelvin

Fatter as well as thicker tubes, so yes, different rides.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

BFe is a LOT more solid than the Soul. I do use my BFe for all day riding, but I generally feel pretty battered at the end of it. That said, I'm currently sat in the Goatshed* in Les Arcs with the BFe in the garage downstairs with 160mm forks, 2.5" DH tyres and 8" brakes and it's absolutely bloody marvellous for this kind of steep, tight, rocky, riding, and we've been doing 7 or 8 hour days, although with very little climbing (lifts rock!).

* Weds is the guides day off, so we've only done a shortish ride.

brydon
    Free Member

Dont listen to this guy because he doesnt have a clue

alternatively, head over to the cotic website and see for yourself.

kelvin

Jon – you are a git. Was the race okay?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The geomtetry is the same

I have one of the older full 853 maintube versions, it still weighs about 5.4lbs for the frame. So the bit about the different type of steel accounting for the extra weight is nonsense.

Soul is more expensive cos it uses more expensive steel. Also, the dropouts on the bfe are cheaper, plated affairs.

The bfe is stiffer, stronger and can be run with longer forks. it also comes in a smaller size too.

househusband

Geometry is the same; HA is stated at different fork lengths/sag.

I've gone Soul to BFe and back to Soul; the BFe is heavier physically – and a heavier, more solid ride. The Soul has a real spring in its step, much sprightlier; more suitable for general XC – whatever that actually is these days!

brydon
    Free Member

The geomtetry is the same

…when used with identical travel/sag, sure. the geometry given is for the expected travel. hence links to the site where people can find this out easily enough for themselves.

always thought that 631 was heavier than 853 but it seems not! i guess the burlier build of the bfe accounts for the extra weight.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Just ring si at cotic. He's ace and gives you all the info.

Next…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul vs Cotic BeFe’ is closed to new replies.