Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Cotic Soul – sizing and general 'vibe'
  • harryparabolics
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at a small Cotic Soul – I’m about 5’9″ but have short legs 😳 and was wondering how I would go with a small frame in terms of size. I like smaller, chuckable frames, so thought this might be a goer. Can anyone offer any experience/advice?

Also, in terms of the way that the Soul rides, can anyone highlight any similarities/differences with the Hemlock (asides from the dual suspension thing)? Just that I’ve not ridden a Soul, but have ridden a Hemlock, and really liked the way that they rode.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I owned a medium Cotic Soul for about three months and absolutely loved it. I sold it in favour of a second hand ti456 and have always regretted it.

I’m just short of 6ft and the medium was a great fit. I think I could even have ridden a small and indeed, I’m now on a small Dialled Alpine, although the small Alpine is a little larger than the small Soul.

The Soul is just one of those bikes. In ten years time magazines will have it in their ‘top ten bikes of all time’ lists. It’s just so right, so well balanced, so capable and so much fun.

I can’t answer your question about comparing it to the Hemlock as I haven’t ridden one and I would suggest that it’s not an apples with apples comparison. But in terms of geometry and handling, with a 130mm-140mm fork, the bike is beautifully balanced when speeding along single track and descending.

It’s not the best on super steep stuff and it still has a discernable twang to its ride (whereas the BFe I rode was noticeably stiffer and less forgiving) but to a large extent that is all part of its charm.

At your height, a small is the right choice in my view. You may be able to ride a medium, but I think for that compact, ‘chuckable’ feel then the small is the way to go.

Put it this way, Dirt have had the Soul in their yearly ‘Dirt 100’ for the last three years.

You’ll love it so just buy one.

robob
    Free Member

not much to add to that apart from i haven’t and wont ever sell mine!!! hahahaha!!!!!!!

oh and a small sounds perfect.

rob2
    Free Member

I’m 5th 7.5″ and ride a small, I’d go with a small I reckon

RoterStern
    Free Member

A friend of mine has just bought one. He loves the ride of it but he has a problem in that the RS poploc system on top of the forks doesn’t fit under the downtube when he turns the front wheel.

shredder
    Free Member

As above just a superb bike I had this one

Which I sold on then found that I regretted it that much that I built this one;

A classic bike

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m >< under 6′ and am comfortable on a medium. Its definitely a chuckable frame for me. So glad I didn’t go for a large.
    I would suspect that a small would be good but if you have any doubts speak to Cy or Paul at Cotic as they will tell you exactly how it is. I wasn’t sure whether I would get a way with a medium but thats what they recommended and I am definitely in the ‘never sell my Soul’ camp (unless I was getting another one that is).
    Afraid not ridden a Hemlock so can’t help there.
    so +1 for GT’s recommendation – get one you’ll love it…

rob2
    Free Member

Forgot to say Ive got a hemlock too and they are very similar in ride feel and size (!!)

I’ve got a small 456 too and they are a tad shorter but I think they ride much better. Best with 120mm forks I reckon

If you are near reading/Oxford you can have a shot on mine

brakes
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″‘and ride a medium. 31″ inside leg. Size is spot on with a 70mm stem.
    For me, this bike isn’t one that you chuck around, it’s for riding smoothly and flowily through singletrack. This is where it excels. But if you want a chuckable bike then maybe the small is right for you, just be sure it’s not going to be too short in the TT.

theboatman
    Free Member

I’m 5’9 and a bit, and ride a medium soul, but have 32′ inside leg. I’m more at home on a road bike, so haven’t really got the chuckable thing as I end up feeling a bit cramped/ upright. I went through 6 other hardtail frames in 3 years, before getting my soul, and have been riding this for about 2.5 years now and still haven’t thought about changing it, it just works for me. I tend to use it for 3-4 hour rides around Derbyhsire and the Peak, with the odd trip to a trail centre, the lakes, a bit of trailquesting and the odd enduro. I’m sure there are other bikes that others will think do any of the afore mentioned things better than the soul, but as I only have room for one mtb, it does them all well enough for me.

cinnamon_girl

At 5’9″ a Small would surely be too small? I’m 5’5″ and a Small was perfect. Only had mine for 9 months and really miss it, only sold it due to buying a dream full suss frame from the Classifieds.

It was a real workhorse, 120mm Fox forks and came out at around 25 lbs.

Geometry was absolutely spot-on. The only complaint I had, and it was a big complaint really, was the poor paint quality. I was shocked when I saw my frame stripped down. For the cost I would expect better.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m a tad over 5’9″ and have a medium Soul and a small BFe. My Soul has a fair bit of seatpost showing so I’d have thought if you’re short of leg, and therefore long of body, then a medium might be the best option.

My small BFe isn’t as good a climber as the medium Soul (both bikes are about the same weight currently), which I think is because it’s shorter, but it’s not bad.

The only way my Soul will leave the fleet is if I decide to replace the frame with one of the newer ones!

harryparabolics
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all – might e-mail cotic and get some advice me thinks.

dr_death
    Free Member

5’11” and on a medium Soda (I have long legs)…. Love it to bits, and as stated, Cy is the man to ask for advice. Where do you live, there may be someone close who will let you throw a leg over (oo-err missus)?

bobster
    Free Member

5’8.5″ here, so right on the cusp of a small/medium.

Coming from a bike with a smaller TT I used to get lower back ache on some rides and playing with stems/layback hadn’t quite got it dialed. Like you I have short legs, 32″ crotch to floor, so opted for the medium in the end. It’s perfect fit wise and an absolute hoot on the trails, it’s got me up a climb I normally struggle on, whilst I’ve got off 2 drops I was really struggling with mentally, it’s just confidence inspiring. Oh, and it absolutely loves singletrack, a real singletrack serpent.

Whilst I was debating getting one, I tried a friends, 1 ride was enough.

IMO – The Soul is better than a Hummer (The bike that is)

Leku
    Free Member

IMGP3282 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr

5’6′ with a small.

bobalong
    Free Member

If the Soul is as good at the Soda, get one, you’ll love it.

I had a large soda and swapped for a Hummer and don’t enjoy it as much. The large was a fraction too large for me at 6′.

If i could stomach the cost i’d sell the hummer and buy a new medium soda.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

I love mine, been trying out a full suss for last few weeks but would much rather be riding my Cotic Soul. I’m 6’2 and i have a large which feels perfick 😀

takisawa2

5’9″ here, had a small Soul. Would have another without a second thought. But would buy a medium. I have shortish legs & had a lot of post showing. Also, don’t bother with a big burly fork. I tried a wound down Pike, & it made the rear seem very flexy. Perfect fork, IMO, is a q/r Rev. Ideal match. Honestly think you should get a medium.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

You could ride either.

I’m 5’10” and I’ve got a medium Soda, which is a brilliant all dayer, but doesn’t get out of it’s depth unless it’s getting REALLY hairy and a small BFe, which definitely fits the “chuckable” definition, but is surprisingly all dayable for a bike that has a bottom gear of 36/32 and a 50mm stem.

Paul @ Cotic is 5’9″, but long in the leg and he rides a small.

Take your pick – either way it’ll be great!

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ with a 29″ inside leg. Had a small (16″) BFe. Felt really good for seat-down “chucking” – jumping, downhill etc. With a 50mm stem it was too short for having the seat up and doing any decent amount of miles on though. 90mm probably would’ve been about right but then it won’t be as good for jumping or dh!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

anyone ridden a Soul and a steel 456 and can compare in terms of handling/geometry/stiffness?

lrd
    Free Member

5’7″ here on a small. Feel like I just about get away with it, saddle back further than I’d like and 90mm stem. Only 30″ inside leg but loads of seatpost showing.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

5’10” medium and love it:D Best hardtail ive rided

Amos
    Free Member

As above, 5’10” medium, not only the best hardtail but probably the best bike I’ve ridden and I’ve ridden a few including 575, clockwork orange, foes fxr absolutely brilliant need to buy the latest version now 🙂

Christowkid
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″, 30″ inside leg and ‘long in the back’.
    My Small is spot on. Only thing I’d swap it for is the new version.
    Bought it second hand as the owner built it up and ‘once round Cannock’ and discovered her really should have bought a Medium. He was 5’10”
    As mentioned our height puts us on the cusp of Small/Medium, but I for one wouldn’t go up a size.
    Q

doom_mountain

5’10” here on a medium Soda, perfect fit.
    Started with an 80mm stem now got a 70, TT is nice and long so don’t need the saddle too far back on the rails.

Never met a fellow Cotic rider without a smile on their face….

drapper
    Free Member

I’ve 31.5 inch leg and am 175cm which is 5 8 1/2 I think in imperial. I got a medium with a 70mm stem and this bike actually whips ass. I’ve had a few ‘high end’ bikes in the past few years adn this little chap is like a revolution. Climbs faster than my old carbon xtc, and decends like my ibis mojo but on crack! 🙂 love it!

piemann
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and ride a large. I have a short torso, longish legs and disproportionately long arms though (read unevolved) so the medium felt a bit cramped (elbows banging on knees). I have tried both the 456 summer season and then the Soul. The Summer Season felt a bit more industrial than the Soul, which feels almost delicate/dainty in comparison. I love it.

GlennG
    Free Member

5’11” and ride a medium 2010 Soul, got it set up with a F120 and its the perfect singletrack/all dayer, have in the past owned the following hardtails 2x Dekerf Team SL’s, Cove Hummer, Curtis FR and On One Inbred and out of the lot the Soul is the nicest to ride (if the Dekerf geometry was a bit more up to date there would be no contest).
    Would only get rid of it for a Soda.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul – sizing and general 'vibe'’ is closed to new replies.