Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cotic Soul, minimum seatpost insertion?
  • Justcruzin
    Free Member

Personally looking for XC use but interested in what seatpost insertion people are running on their souls? I know Thomson has a min insertion line, but does that change when you take into account the "extra" seatube length above the TT/seatstay weilds? (compared to other frame designs).

Cheers!

Swayndo
    Free Member

Justcruzin … as a person who has ridden one too short and broken a frame because of it I would never take any chances again. The brake on my Compo happened on a weld just above the top tube. I only use 410mm Thomsons now.

rs
    Free Member

i would def run it below the top tube

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I'd say make sure its below where the underside of the top tube joins the seat tube

pitduck
    Free Member

as above 🙂

BlingBling
    Free Member

+1 for Swayndo.

It just seems silly to compromise in that area to save a few grams.

410mm Thomson always.

PJay
    Free Member

The min. insertion mark on the seatpost has nothing to do with the minimum insertion point for the frame AFAIK. The mark on the post shows how much post needs to be inserted into the seattube to protect the post. The minimum insertion point for the frame is the minimum amount of post needed in the frame to protect the frame.

I can't quite remember the min. insertion point for my Inbred frame (I think that there's a specific value) but it's roughly a centimeter below the lowest point of the toptube/seattube weld. I suppect that it's something similar for the Cotic but best check with the company (if you're heavy like me you might want a bit extra for peace of mind). A related point is that (again as far as I know) if you shim a seatpost the shim itself needs to extend beneath the min. insertion point for the frame as post below the end of the shim won't be in contact with the seat tube.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul, minimum seatpost insertion?’ is closed to new replies.