Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cotic soul difference 2009 / 2014
  • shaungero
    Free Member

Hi, could you please tell me the main difference in a 2009 soul frame to a 2014 soul frame.

Cheers

chiefgrooveguru

1 1/8″ vs tapered head tube. 27.2mm vs 31.6mm seat post. 130mm vs 140mm max fork length.

There are other changes but they’re all relatively insignificant.

shaungero
    Free Member

Cheers that’s what I needed. So is the geometry the same then ?

chiefgrooveguru

Yes!

All the 26″ Souls and BFes are identical in geometry, size for size. (The medium Mk3 Soul is 3mm longer of top tube than all the other mediums but I doubt you’d be able to tell…)

vincienup
    Free Member

The insignificant changes relate to things like amount and placement of cable routing points, gussets existing or not etc. Generally, they’ve been getting stronger and easier to fix things to.

By far the most significant change is likely the seat tube closely followed by the head tube…

The geek section of Cotic’s website used to have a page detailing every little change between models and was very handy. May still be able to find it with the way back machine?

shaungero
    Free Member

Great, thanks heaps for that

vorlich
    Free Member

Yes!

Sure about that?

I seem to recall the geo was tweaked to accommodate inline posts/droppers with the move to the bigger seat tube, rather being designed around a setback post.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d say the most significant change by far was the loss of the rear end flexibility due to the seatpost being beefed up and the CEN changes. My mk1 Soul was like riding a softtail at times, which I really liked.

chiefgrooveguru

Sure about that?
    I seem to recall the geo was tweaked to accommodate inline posts/droppers with the move to the bigger seat tube, rather being designed around a setback post.

Yes – you’re thinking of the changes for the 27.5 version.

I’d say the most significant change by far was the loss of the rear end flexibility due to the seatpost being beefed up and the CEN changes. My mk1 Soul was like riding a softtail at times, which I really liked.

The CEN compliance thing was first with the Mk2 (2010) version which was also the first to be ok for a 140mm fork. If I remember rightly (having bought one and ridden it lots) the other changes were an ovalised top tube, 631 head tube and gussets from the head tube to down tube. No changes to the seat tube or stays on the Mk2 vs the later Mk1 versions.

I also recall there were quite a few Mk1 variants, with some of them having thinner walled stays, so they’d be the most compliant. I think only a few batches were like that before they returned to stiffer stays for better rear wheel tracking.

vorlich
    Free Member

Yes – you’re thinking of the changes for the 27.5 version.

Just testing. 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Just testing.

#coticgeek 😛

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cotic soul difference 2009 / 2014’ is closed to new replies.