Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Cotic Solaris 29er
  • tang
    Free Member

Just had a mail from cotic that they have the proto in. waits with anticipation…could be my next ht. Theres a little sneak pic, lush blue colour and the old wishbone seat stay.

Clink

I wish they were already available!

Here’s hoping for sun 17″ chainstays. 😀

letmetalktomark

tang
    Free Member

me also clink, the reba is waiting to go 120. i loved the soul and hoping for a 29 translation…looking forward to the geo specs.

tang
    Free Member

80-120 travel, be interesting to see the geo, really looking forward to seeing this one rather than another 29 carbon race machine

The idea is that it’s effectively a 29er with the same intent as the Soul, so a tough, light trail hardtail. The prototype is designed for 80-120mm forks, and it has geometry completely different to the Soul, as you might expect. However, certain things from the Soul like the weight distribution and trail/front end handling are intended to be brought across. This just requires different geometry to achieve (hopefully) a similar end result. Stay tuned for progress!

TooTall
    Free Member

Pfft – 29ers – niche.

thepodge
    Free Member

The Hemlock is dead too. Sad times.

Northwind

There’s a replacement for the Hemlock in the pipes though… They’ve been out of mediums for a while. Not that I’ll be replacing mine in a hurry!

thepodge
    Free Member

really? I’d be interested in knowing whats going on there. I liked the hemlock but it was missing something but I could never quite work out what.

rOcKeTdOg

i hope they don’t stay that blue otherwise, i’m out

Northwind

thepodge – Member

really? I’d be interested in knowing whats going on there. I liked the hemlock but it was missing something but I could never quite work out what.

Sure there’ll be an announcement at some point, I just know what I heard from Paul at Cotic, that it’s ended up with enough changes that it’s essentially a new bike. Interested to see it myself.

Northwind

Anyway… Anyone else wish they’d go back to the previous font for the names? The current one’s too cartoony for my tastes, previous one had a bit of class.

topangarider
    Free Member

Northwind – agreed! All a bit ‘Ragley’ for me!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hopefully the new Hemlock will be an 853 tubed 5″ travel VPP frame with the same angles as a Blur 4X. Put my name down for one!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I emailed Cy about this and he informed me that they’ll also be doing an XL size.

Shandy
    Free Member

The colour is very close to the Swift blue.

rob2
    Free Member

Interested to know about the hemlock, I think it’s excellent just got the bad press on the chainstays that time.

rOcKeTdOg

bad press was true though wasn’t it, maybe “accurate reporting” would be better, didn’t they have to redesign them?

tang
    Free Member

im sure its all got to do with the us market. its possible the hemlock couldnt be sold over there for some patent thingy, plus the bad press cant have helped. you cant go to the states without a 29er these days(as cotic are). the font you want is ‘sofa chrome’ for the older ones, much better i think.

neil853
    Free Member

Wonder what the cost will be?

Northwind

rOcKeTdOg – Member

bad press was true though wasn’t it, maybe “accurate reporting” would be better, didn’t they have to redesign them?

Mine did eventually break but it’d been pretty well used by that point, don’t think it was really designed for downhill racing 😉 But it’s a fair point, there’s loads of Hemlocks still scooting around on the older swingarm but it was a definate weakpoint. OTOH Cotic were spot on about replacing mine despite me not having a warranty and being straight about the use the frame got put to, I had a new swingarm and associated bits on my doorstep 3 days later and it won’t be breaking in a hurry.

duckman

Ohhh Mongo WAAAANT! In the same colour as the bfe as well; winner!

TooTall
    Free Member

mike-at-dialledbikes said: On October 7, 2009

Glad to hear you’re not jumping on the 29?er bandwagon!

Aye – that fad etc

rOcKeTdOg

it must be a heck of a big bandwagon though, there’s quite a few people on it….but i guess the weight is spread around those big wheels 🙂

cy

Hello STW!!!!!

Nearly finished the build. Gotta get headset and forks in then I can finish off. Going big to start with and seeing where it goes, got some 120mm Reba Maxles, and some 2.25″ Bonty 29-4 tyres. Pretty excited.

Colour is BFe blue. Not sure it will be production, but I don’t have a BFe and I love the colour and I’m the boss, so I got one. It’ll be the usual thing for colours, 1 loud option, 1 subtle.

And yes, the Hemlock is no more. I’m extremely proud of it, but it’s time had come. The basic design is over 4 years old now, and to update it the way I wanted to required more than just tweaks, so it’s been laid it to rest. We’re not out of the FS market though. More on that (much) later in the year.

cy

Oh, and bandwagon jumping-wise, yes it’s been driven by demand from distributors, but also demand from the UK. 29er is going massive this year. Also helping out though is proper forks like said Rebas becoming avaialble and nice big grippy tyres. Trail riding kit, basically. This meant I could design the bike I wanted. I’m looking forward to it. If the fast rolling thing works this thing is going to be killer fast.

nuke

And yes, the Hemlock is no more. I’m extremely proud of it, but it’s time had come.

🙁

Only just managed to get one in medium and build it up

It’s superb! (although I do have a couple of minor niggles 😉 )

rOcKeTdOg

looks like it’s a good job i held on to my 120mm forks then (can the subtle colour be the blue please 😉 )

duckman

As a late arrival to the “bandwagon” It was really difficult to get the parts (wheels forks frame)for my build.New frames are sold out forever (on-one)and the bargains on 29er stuff you used to see on the classifieds are long gone.

tang
    Free Member

get the pics up asap cy. mines a medium please.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

cy – Member
    Also helping out though is proper forks like said Rebas becoming avaialble and nice big grippy tyres. Trail riding kit, basically. This meant I could design the bike I wanted. I’m looking forward to it. If the fast rolling thing works this thing is going to be killer fast.

hmmmph! rebas and nice big grippy tyres for 29er’s have been around for several years now cy! <end of crit>

looking forward to seeing the geometry details and rear dropout options – even though i don’t really need another 29er HT, unless the urge grows to replace my GF Ferrous

cy

No dropout options to start with, it’ll be straight geared. We’ll do a SS/Alfine compatible frame once we’re happy with the first one.

rOcKeTdOg

If you need a test pilot used to big wheelz, my email is in my profile 🙂

Clink

If you need a test pilot used to big wheelz, my email is in my profile

I’ve been pestering Cotic for 3 years to do this – I wanna go! 😆

tang
    Free Member

I’m sure if you asked nicely cy would let you have a spin. He offered me one. Frame too big for me probably. hope they get the medium proto over here…i might take a trip then!

cy
    tang
    Free Member

Nice! If all goes well when are you hoping to get this out to us?

cy

Start of a long process. Needs lots of riding and lots of lab testing, then lots of waiting to be built. If all goes OK, then end of the year, but if I find anything I don’t like with this one, it’ll be longer.

PePPeR

Mmm I’m in the market for a new 29er, my old Gary Fisher Rig is looking a little tired!

chunkypaul
    Free Member

probably stating the obvious here; but the chainstays look like there will be very little clearance between front mech and rear tyre – i know, i know it’s a prototype… just saying

the ikon’s look quite summer/racey tyre…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris 29er’ is closed to new replies.