Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cornwall Routes
  • dazh

Down in Cornwall for the weekend, staying near Porthtowan. What’s the best option for a day’s biking, the trails at Cardingham or something from Porthtowan itself? Looking at the map there seems to be lots of bridleways and footpaths, but not knowing the area it’s difficult to know which ones are worth it or are rideable. The coastal path looks the best bet north from Porthtowan to Perranporth. Is it rideable?

Cheers,

Daz.

spacemonkey

Take a look here

dazh

Ah excellent, cheers. Looks like the coastal path might be the best bet as long as I smile nicely at the walkers and say hello.

spacemonkey

smile nicely at the walkers and say hello.

That’s what I did 🙂 Hopefully you won’t bump into Sean Bolton 😆

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Coast path is very good around there,Ride steady and smile and say hello to walkers.

Would show you around but out of action after and off on Sunday

dazh

No worries, the routefinding looks straightforward enough on the map. I like a bit of exploring anyway. Hopefully I won’t fall off any cliffs 🙂

orena45

Another one Sam?! What did you do this time?!

yunki
    Free Member

I did a bit of coast path yesterday.. The harshest comment I received was a heartfelt “Wow, that’s GREAT” from a middle aged American tourist

nicolaisam
    Free Member

orena45 – Member

Another one Sam?! What did you do this time?!

Was out Sunday riding way down west near Penzance,was very wet and went to ride across a big rock,front wheel slid down the side of it and into a gully,this pitched me straight off ther side of the bike and sideways onto my shoulder. Now have soft tissue damage/muscle and a very swollen shoulder..X-rays showed no break but looks like at least 4-6 weeks to sort it.The doctor said that it could take longer to sort than a break,have limited movement and is very painfull..No riding again for me..Getting to old to keep hurting myself

tonyplym
    Free Member

Likely to find footpaths busy with grockles and emmets at the moment as its peak holiday season. Plenty of bridleways and legitimate trails to be had if you get a map out and look closely.

Rosss
    Free Member

My brother lives in Porthtowan and we rode Porthtowan to Crantock a few weeks back. Pick a duller day and be polite and we had no issues with walkers at all. The section of coastline is stunning and there is some great singletrack and techy sections. After Perranporth the riding gets a bit sand duney for a mile or two then you have another few miles around Crantock before you get to Newquay and need to head back anyway so i’d call it a day at Perran. We havent ridden south down the coast from Porthtowan yet but it’s all pretty steep up and down with lots of steps.

Cardinham is always a good call. Nice, fun fast loop – Only about 7.5 miles all in so good for 2 or 3 laps.

Another option you have is riding out of the back of Porthtowan and aim for Poldice quarry. There are loads of DH runs there you’d be fine doing on a trail bike, just check the runs out first as there are some pretty bigs gaps on some runs. There’s plenty of nice singletrack around there too.

Oh, and don’t go out with Nicolaisam it’ll only end in injury 😆

dazh

Thanks all. Some very useful suggestions.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Thanks Ross,Your brother picked the shock up from the shop yet??

I need to stop crshing,twice in 5 weeks, more visits to A&E in the last 5 weeks than the last 10 years

Rosss
    Free Member

Yeah, He called in on tuesday I think to offer some sympathy for you and to get the headset pressed into my new toy. Hows the shoulder holding up? Have you changed your tyres or something? 😆

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Shoulder is ruined,can see this being months off a bike.

New frame looks sweet.

at the moment has been a crash per bike. Think its because i am a lot fitter now and tend to be faster as i can pedal up and down…

Was very wet down West on Sunday,poured it down just before i went riding,was on a trail that i hadnt ridden before,was just unlucky i think

Rosss
    Free Member

Sounds that way, Heal up quick anyway i’m down on the 7thish of September if you’re up for it we’ll go for a quick spin

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cornwall Routes’ is closed to new replies.