Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Cornering technique
  • Nicknoxx
    Free Member

So when cornering do you:-

1. Lean more than the bike
    2. Keep the bike and your body in a line
    3. Lean the bike more than your body

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

4. Crash

fairhurst
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/41343426[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

3 but it varies I was told

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It varies dependent upon speed, camber and radius of the corner.

philconsequence
    Free Member

corners?! they sound dangerous.

rocketman
    Free Member

1. Lean more than the bike when there are hikers/horse riders about
    2. Keep the bike and your body in a line on bermed corners
    3. Lean the bike more than your body most of the time

kayak23

Depends on your tyres.

Trimix
    Free Member

5. Skid round them 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

HOw many teenage girls are watching?

philconsequence
    Free Member

6. avoid corners (as i’ve already mentioned, they sound dangerous!) go in a straight line until you end up back on the trail. if trees get in the way then stop slowly and safely using your brakes and call an adult for advice.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[edit] phils advice is far better!

theotherjonv

I don’t know. Jedi implanted some sort of control mechanism so he gets me round corners, I have no control or understanding of how or indeed why, I just do.

soobalias
    Free Member

what happened to foot out flat out?

Dancake
    Free Member

It was pointed out to me that I lean myself more than the bike and it was suggested that as an excercise I should try to feel the seatpost on my inside leg to try and force a lean out of the bike

Tell you what, it works. It initially felt or wrong, but as a new age ‘bike leaner’ I feel more confident now

fasthaggis

7. Adjust Go-Pro

8. Before every corner ,always shout ” WATCH THIS”

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

3, and sometimes 2 if the camber is very positive

bwaarp
    Free Member

It depends on how tall you are

Guys with lower centre of gravities, can and often have to throw their weight around more.

Peaty on the other hand moves the bike around underneath him more than a lot of shorter riders.

There’s no right or wrong way, it’s about what works best for you.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

There’s no right or wrong way, it’s about what works best for you.

1. Lean more than the bike
    2. Keep the bike and your body in a line
    3. Lean the bike more than your body

Given these option. You are definitely wrong Bwaarp.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

8. Before every corner ,always shout ” WATCH THIS”

Snort.

ahwiles
    Free Member

6a. avoid corners – ride in the peak district…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Pedal as fast as possible staring at the spot of ground 6 inches ahead of the front wheel, at the point of corner entry wiggle bars randomly and see what happens. If the outcome is desirable i.e. you make it out of the corner pointing roughly where the exit is remember what you did for the next corner.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

6a. avoid corners – ride in the peak district…

Well if you stick to the loops published in MBR, yes 😛

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

fairhurst – Member
    http://www.vimeo.com/41343426

Please tell me this is you and is posted without a hint of irony? It’s made my day!

Whyte1
    Free Member

Shout SPEEDWAY and just nail it – it works for me sometimes..! ha

fairhurst
    Free Member

without a hint yes
    it is on other threads also

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s all about tyre grip apparently

If you lean the bike more than you, your weight will be more over the edges of the tyres, hence helping them ‘dig in’ and grip.

If you lean with the bike, or more than the bike, there is no weight over the tyres and they won’t grip so well, so can wash out.

Obviously, if the corner has a good camber or berm you don’t need to pressure the edges of the tyre so much as they won’t leaning in relation to the ground surface.

Go and see Jedi.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Given these option. You are definitely wrong Bwaarp.

I’ll go and find the video where peaty explains this, but I suppose you know more than a world cup downhiller? Oh but Jedi told you so….obviously he’s right.

bwaarp
    Free Member

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Bwaarp –

1) Does he say lean more than the bike?
    2) Watch a load of footage of ‘The Don’ and tell me what you actually see him doing. 1m25s is pretty insightful.

bwaarp
    Free Member

No this isn’t superbikes, I wasn’t talking about leaning more than the bike was I? Very few people are going to be cornering like they’re riding a WSB bike.

However if you notice before 1:25, on the small jumps with the berms, you can notice “The Don” is leaning more than his bike into the berm and generally chucking his weight into it. Some people lean their bikes over more and stay more upright in that situation, at the moment I’m still working out what works best for me. I personally feel as though at entry into the corner I get a quicker corner entry and direction change going “The Don” on it, but have better mid-corner grip if I don’t.

As long as you don’t go to far one way, it’s all about what works for you as that fundamentals video repeatedly states.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

“The Don” is leaning more than his bike into the berm

yes, because he has the berm to lean against, on all other non-bermed corners in the section on cornering they have their outside foot down and the bike is leaning more, with their outside knee kicked in – which seems to be a pretty standard technique amongst top riders.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I would generally go off how he says he rides as opposed to 10 seconds of footage….even off those 10 seconds of footage you can see he leans more aggressively than peaty….at 1:25 he is not leaned over more than the bike but he still moves around on top of the bike a hell of a lot more than peaty. The same goes some of the other Elite riders as well.

Yeti, took my words out of context. There’s a lot of shit spouted on here about riding technique, as if there is one hard and fast rule. They tend to be the same people who spend their entire race weekend (if they’re not trail centre warriors) banging on about lines, who then get trounced by riders who just do what feels right to them.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

What I find interesting is that on a motorbike there clearly is a right and wrong way; you need to lean further than the bike to move the CofG as far as possible while keeping the bike as upright as possible. It’s surprising that there isn’t a right and wrong way on a bicycle.

FWIW I lean with the bike or a bit further, leaning the bike more than me just feels wrong (although it didn’t before I started riding motor bikes).

bwaarp
    Free Member

What I find interesting is that on a motorbike there clearly is a right and wrong way; you need to lean further than the bike to move the CofG as far as possible while keeping the bike as upright as possible. It’s surprising that there isn’t a right and wrong way on a bicycle.

What I find even more interesting is that when you look at the difference in the riding technique between Rossi and Stoner (an ex dirt bike racer) there clearly is not to a certain extent always a right and wrong way.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I would generally go off how he says he rides as opposed to 10 seconds of footage

what a person says he does and what he actually does are not necessarily the same thing – all I can see is him, and other top riders, predominantly riding with the bike being worked beneath their bodies, with their outside foot down on corners, unless they have a berm to support them or the corner is so short they don’t have time and they don’t need the grip.

bwaarp
    Free Member

what a person says he does and what he actually does are not necessarily the same thing – all I can see is him, and other top riders, predominantly riding with the bike being worked beneath their bodies, with their outside foot down on corners, unless they have a berm to support them or the corner is so short they don’t have time and they don’t need the grip.

So you are calling peaty a liar?

No I can definitely see a difference between say Peaty, Neil, or Sam Hill.

BTW: Putting your foot down on the outside stands the bike more upright and is used mostly for fast flat corners or off camber sections. In other places not limited to just berms it can be a hindrance.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

on a motor bike it is going to be different as the bike is a lot heavier than you – maybe your extra lean helps put more grip on the edge of the tyre to counteract the cornering forces wanting to break the tyre away from the surface.

on a mountain bike you are the heaviest bit, so keeping you weight above the tyres helps them grip, putting it inside the tyres means they are more likely to break away as you turn.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Have you not thought that an increased contact patch when stood further upright might help to counterbalance some of that and that say quicker line direction might make up for some of the lost grip in terms of time on a track.

Northwind

My brain’s totally wired to lean with the bike, right into the corner, after too many years on motorbikes, and though I’m basically sympathetic to “whatever works, as long as you’re having fun”, it’s still a crap way to go round a corner on a mountain bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Cornering technique’ is closed to new replies.