Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Copy iTunes library database
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

I have my music stored on a NAS network drive and creating a library on each PC is taking an age. Is there any files that I can copy from one PC to another that will populate the library instead of going through the “add folder” routine?

Sandwich

Make sure you have un-checked the copy items to iTunes folder in the advanced preferences tab. Else it will move all the library to each machine.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’m added to itunes library on each computer which will have the same music and all will be using the same NAS drive. I already have un-checked the copy items to iTunes folder. I just need the library copying across, there must be a simple file that says where the music is located that populates itunes.

Sandwich

I think the library file is specific to each machine. Copying the small HTML file between machines is unlikely to work. Gigabit Ethernet makes it a bit faster.

MSP

Does the NAS have an itunes server built in, most do. Then you just access the server from each pc.

bbAardvark
    Free Member

Not tried it but I ‘think’ that if you copy the ‘iTunes Library Extras.itl’, ‘iTunes Library.itb’, ‘iTunes Library Genius.itb’ and ‘iTunes Library.xml’ files from the master computer to each computer it should work as long as you have the same drive letter on each machine mapped to the NAS.

Alternatively you could set up Sharing in iTunes (linky) which would avoid this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Copy iTunes library database’ is closed to new replies.