Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Coping with the cold – Help.
  • Pook

I went out alone this morning at about 7am, it was showing -4 in the car, and -5 when I got out to the peak.

I set off riding, and was going ok. Up the first hill I was fine. As I got higher, a few ‘symptoms’ kicked in which I didn’t like, so I turned round and got back before anything serious happened. These are shown, in order below…

– running nose
    – mad thirst
    – sore neck/shoulders
    – tiredness (more than normal exertion tiredness)
    – dizziness
    – a desire to lie down/sit down

Now, I’ve had this before in the cold to such an extent that I simply couldn’t breathe and wanted to lie down (on sheet ice!) and just go to sleep. I worked out that on that occasion it was from breathing in cold air and sorted it with a snood over my mouth, and more layers.

Sub zero rides since have been fine, until this morning.

My head was covered, my face was covered, I had four layers on my top half (two x merino), two pairs of gloves, three pairs of socks and trousers.

I’d got a hot drink with me.

Yes MTFU etc etc, but why can’t I cope with the cold? I’d taken all the precautions needed, didn’t feel cold (except a bit in my fingers), and was ok generally – but this just washed over me all of a sudden. The hot drink helped massively.

MrSparkle

My advice – stop going out on your own when it’s really cold.

ton

my advice…………….get to the doc’s.
    it could be far worse like my thoughts of ‘i must have a chest infection’ turned out to be.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

First few minutes of any exercise are anaerobic, so you need to learn to start off slower. This is why the first mile or so of Inners is an absolute bitch….

uplink
    Free Member

Go running instead

In fact, I reckon a sub zero temp is the perfect running weather
    Just back in from a 7 miler, lovely

trout
    Free Member

sounds like Too many clothes wear less you may have been suffering from heat exhuastion

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m with Trout on this one. That’s a ridiculous amount of clothing for such a ‘mild’ temperature. I know everyone’s different, and the specifics of the clothing too, but I don’t even wear that much at -20 (apart from the gloves maybe).

PeteG55
    Free Member

I just wuss out tbh. Don’t have great circulation and as such my fingers and toes become painfully cold so easily. Then it just isn’t fun.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Sounds more like you’re ill (dizziness, soreness, tiredness) if that’s what happened when you tried to bike up a hill with a bit of frost about!

Pook

Yeah I am just coming off the back of a heavy cold.

Blower
    Free Member

you had plenty food inside you?

makes a difference in the cold weather.

Pook

Aye that could be it. Only had a light smallish brekkie

brooess
    Free Member

Exerting yourself in conditions like that will always hurt when you’re recovering from a cold IMO. Often you can feel fine sitting inside but when you push yourself you realise you’re not fully recovered

uplink
    Free Member

you had plenty food inside you?

makes a difference in the cold weather.

I’m not so sure it does until you’ve been at it for a while
    I go out & run before breakfast most days, as I did this morning

Blower
    Free Member

helps with keeping the body warm etc?

carb load up night before.if i dont eat enough i feel shite too.

trailertrash

dude, what are you doing exercising in the freezing air when you are getting over a cold? this is stupid. you are putting yourself in a prime position to develop pericarditis.

get better, then go riding.

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 on too many clothes (4 layers when you’re about to undertake a physical activity ?)
    and +1 on WTF were you doing biking when getting over a cold.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Look on the bright side: You’re sensible and intelligent enough to listen to your body, and exercise common sense in turning round and heading home, rather than stupidly falling for this macho ‘MTFU’ cowpoo.

You could have carried on, right, but then collapsed and died, in terrible, unimaginable agony even though you’d gnaw your own foot off to try and stay alive! 😯

Instead, you’re now on STW enjoying yourself with people like me! 😀

Win-win!

allthegear
    Free Member

oh – you’re putting me off riding tomorrow now!!!

cuckoo
    Free Member

Sounds like your not as much over the cold as you thought.

4 layers sounds a bit excessive too. This may hinder rather than help as once you begin to sweat and the sweat gets cold your core could chill quite quickly.

For commuting (20 miles each way) I have been wearing 1 x base layer that wicks away the moisture + 1 x thick fleece + 1 x paclite outer shell jacket. This has kept my core toasty warm in temperatures down to -12°C.

Hot flask of tea + sugary sweets works well for me but remember to stop somewhere out of the wind.

Can’t offer any advice on keeping hands warm other than putting gloves in between base layer and fleece when stopping for tea then blowing into gloves before putting them back on!

If anyone has any tips / advice on keeping hands warm I would love to hear it.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Just accept you’re still getting over the infection and *don’t* beat yourself up over it.
    I tried to get out last winter despite cold on top cold, and felt cr*p when I did, so have had a bit of a sabatical. I’m amazed how much better I feel on a bike this autumn/winter despite being horribly unfit. Just shows how bad i was last year but didn’t realise.
    Take it easy, build up a bit and possibly get out for a gentle pootle when it’s not so cold…..prabably about June 😉
    best of luck
    Q

slowrider
    Free Member

Pook you attention whore 😛

Seriously, I’d say get it checked. You are fitter than I am and I cope ok with the cold even if I’m a bit unwell.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Coping with the cold – Help.’ is closed to new replies.