Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Cooking the perfect steak.
  • Harry_the_Spider

This evening my veggie wife is out and my veggie kids are going to bed early leaving me free to have a STEAK.

STEAK.

STEAK.

STEAK.

STEAK.

STEAK.

STEAK.

How do you cook yours?

snakebite
    Free Member

griddle pan, hot as poss, minute each side.

brant
    Free Member

Me and the boy do this sometimes – http://www.kamikazecookery.com/films/2 – with a vacuum cleaner, plastic bag, slow cooker with an oven thermometer. Though we don't use a blowtorch, just a very very very hot pan.

Tonylem
    Free Member

Take it out of the fridge a few hours before you cook it. Plenty of heat and rest for at least as long as you cook it.

warton
    Free Member

as people said, get it out early, i marinate it in bit of oil,pepper rosemary and smashed up garlic for a few hours.

if its thick like a fillet, griddle pan, very hot for 1/2 mins each side, then into an oven for 5 minute, rest for 10, sprinkle a bit of good salt on it. if its sirloin or rump just griddle it for a 2/3 mins each side, depending on thickness

M6TTF
    Free Member

gave up on the link brant before they bored me to death – any chance of a summary northern stylee….

MSP

1/2 1/2 alove oil and butter in a heavy frying pan with a few whole garlic cloves (just to add a touch of flavour don't crush or chop them you don't want to overpower the flavours with garlic)

Rub some salt and fresh ground black pepper into the steak, then quickly brown each side and throw the frying pan into a hot oven for around 5 mins, (depending on thickness and how well done you like it. Personally I like it well done if I wanted to eat raw beef I would walk into a field and bite a cow.

clubber
    Free Member

Very hot pan then turn to medium heat just before you add steak, cook 2 mins each side without moving it at all in between

For rare, that's it – leave to rest for five mins

For medium do another minute on each side for every 1cm thickness.

For well done, well I've got some old shoes you can eat 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Cast iron pan as hot as possible, on the biggest burner you have.

brant
    Free Member

I have used Warton's style too. I think resting for as long as you can is the key too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

according to my mother whom i have been living for for 6 weeks – a steak should be done on a low heat for about 3 weeks till its like shoe leather on the outside and red on the inside ….. (this is when i said can i have mine rare please)

i was shocked to say the least – but ill let her off cause shes my mother

brant
    Free Member

any chance of a summary northern stylee….

Vacuum pack the steak in a plastic bag.
    Put in water bath to cook for an hour (I think) in 55deg C water.
    Then burn the outside with a blowtorch/hot pan.

carriegold
    Free Member

Suddenly the roast veggies and pasta for me tea doesn't sound so exciting…

Roast veggies and steak? Yummmm

funkynick

Brant… it's called sous vide, and is an excellent way of cooking all sorts of different meat.

We've recently discovered that our deep fat fryer temperature control goes down this low and is perfect for doing it.

teagirl
    Free Member

Hot pan, butter, fry to your liking, serve, a little creme fraiche in pan, mix with juices, ground black pepper mixed in and artistically dollop on top/around steak. Ultimate fast food!

NZCol

Don't salt it before you cook as it will encourage moisture out of it. Very hot pan or BBQ, slight rub of oil and ground pepper cook on one side for a period which depends on thickness and required rarity. Of it's as soft as your. Cheek to touch that's about medium rare. Rest for 10 mins at least somewhere warm. It's the resting more than the cooking that does it.

carriegold
    Free Member

Teagirl – that sounds ace

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I rest it wrapped in foil, at least the juices lost are trapped and make a nice "jus" :rolleyes: (i.e. gravy).

Plenty of pepper before cooking but no salt until on the plate (thought it helped meat to lose mositure, cooked or not).

Smoking gridle pan with meat only moved the once (to flip over). Bit of light pressure with a fish slice / pallete knife so it's all in contact with the ridges of the pan.

Agree about taking it out of fridge first too, let it watm up a bit.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Knob of butter in the pan and rest when you're done cooking.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Côte de boeuf.

hot pan, a little oil, big kob of butter, some thyme, garlic cloves (cracked with skin on) baste alot with the butter in hot pan, chuck in oven for about ten on both sides, take out, baste again with some more thyme sprigs like a mofo cut and serve on a huge plate with fresh Bearnaise sauce watercress & pomme frites

Drac

Christ spoiling a good steak with garlic and Rosemary, get a new butcher.

Season before and then good girdle pan nice and hot. Cook to taste. Rest.

spacehopper

i marinade mine in coca cola (yes it really does work!) for 20 mins or so the coke softens and tenderises the meat and adds a little bit of sweetness to the flavour..

and then cook in butter in a VERY VERY hot griddle pan until its done to my liking..! then leave it to rest for about the same amount of time..

bung some butter with some mixed herbs and garlic in the microwave till its melted.. mix up.. pour on.. nom nom nom!

serve with big fat chips and and ratatouille made from veg from the garden 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Montreal steak. Mmm.

2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons crushed black pepper
    2 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    1 tablespoon granulated onion
    1 tablespoon crushed coriander
    1 tablespoon dill
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes

theotherjonv

like teagirl except chuck in some smelly blue cheese as well. Nomnomnom

Drac

i marinade mine in coca cola (yes it really does work!) for 20 mins or so the coke softens and tenderises the meat and adds a little bit of sweetness to the flavour..

Jesus **** Christ!

Jakester
    Free Member

funkynick – Member
    Brant… it's called sous vide, and is an excellent way of cooking all sorts of different meat.

We've recently discovered that our deep fat fryer temperature control goes down this low and is perfect for doing

We recently bought some venison steaks, and they came individually vacuum sealed in plastic bags.

I cooked them for about 10 – 20 mins in the baby bottle warmer we had out on the side, then finished briefly in a pan with butter and thyme.

Absolutely fantastic, well worth a go!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

after resting, drop onto freshly ground black pepper
    hot pan with butter or butter/olive oil mix for as long as you like all depending on thickness
    out and into a hot oven for a couple of mins while you chuck splash of brandy into the pan
    set fire to it and flame off
    small carton of cream in pan for a minute or so
    pour over steak

maybe
    – some crushed garlic and some mushrooms in the pan for a couple of minutes before the brandy/cream carry on

hughjengin
    Free Member

Heavy griddle pan, groundnut oil for cooking, and dont press and prod it as its cooking, trust your timings, and I take mine from the heat just slightly under cooked what I like, as I find it continues cooking just slightly after you take it from the pan. Job done, I am bloody starving now ! Thanks a bunch 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

You've all missed the point….

Get the best steak you can. If you're cooking thin pish from Asda Basics range none of the above will help.

Get your butcher to cut a thick steak – proper thick steak. Dry aged if possible. You need to start with the best for it to be good after cooking.

Drac

No clearly were wrong you have to soak it in coca cola or drown it with pointless garnish.

MrNutt
    Free Member

personally I hate griddle pans for all but bread, corguettes & aubergines you can't beat pan frying where steak is concerned.

as for sous vide: cook an egg in its shell 60degs 40 mins

phil.w
    Free Member

If you're cooking thin pish from Asda Basics range none of the above will help.

Someone did mention flaming a pan. Setting fire to an Asda steak is probably all its good for.

thebunk

Cooking it? Sacrilege! Whack it on a bit of wood, crack an egg on it, get a fork and dig in.

(optional: put little piles of random food around the edge)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That looks like a Bushtucker Trial.

phil.w
    Free Member

That just reminded me of the Fumee restaurant in Les Arcs, they do the best steak tartare i've had. In fact they use an open fire so their cooked steaks are great too.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Griddle pans and coca cola. Unbelivable

Buy good rib eye steak, ensure its been hung.

Olive oil and pepper to taste

Hot flat pan, cook both sides to seal in the flavour.

Cook for a further 30 seconds to a minute on each side

Rest for up to 10 minutes

Serve with chips, flat mushrooms, onion and tomatoes

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i was going to say that there needs some capers thebunk but then I noticed them top left. Where do you get capers that size?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Fellow STWers please suspend advice giving. I have just learned from HtS that the steak to be cooked this evening is in fact a rump that has been "in the freezer" for months.

Sorry you've all wasted your time and tips.

HtS – if you've any respect for your fellow forum hounds, go and buy a nice big fresh ribeye, sirloin or fillet.

Drac

Keep your rib eye thanks. Sirloin and fillet for me.

Frying pans are for eggs.

yunki
    Free Member

Where do you get capers that size?

The eggyolk is from a Wrens egg…?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Cooking the perfect steak.’ is closed to new replies.