Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cooker, kitchen fitting sealing worktop information needed HELP!
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I want a seal to go between my freestanding cooker and worktop in my kitchen to stop food and crap going down the side.

Tried espares and tricitybendixspares, no joy. contacted electrolux direct and they “only sell parts which come with the cooker” and then put me into the telephone help desk menu black hole.

What i want has got to be pretty universal, self adhesive seal that sticks to side of cooker and fills the gap to the work top.

PLease can anyone here help?

bruneep

Gaffa tape?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Never seen such a thing, not that I am an expert.

I don’t see how it could be as easy as you suggest – sealing 2 sides?

Bit of wood? Mastic?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve never seen such a thing either, and I do fit Kitchens for a living! Silicone sealant?

midlifecrashes

We just ran a bead of clear silicone(butted right up when fitting, black worktop, stainless range), but if the cooker was white maybe a bath seal could look OK if you didn’t overlap too far on the worktop.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

my parents had this on a belling cooker in a magnet kitchen back in the er…80’s.

thought it was a common thing, obviously not.

Silicon will look crap. Think I may look at draft excluder type seal, the one with D shape and sticky back.

willyboy
    Free Member

You could try angle aluminium or similar and stick it on sideways. I think you can buy it pre coloured.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Might be because its normal to have some ventilation space either side of a freestanding cooker to get rid of the heat leaking out through the sides of the oven. Built-in appliances (ovens) are usually double-wall with a fan that circulates cooling air around the outside of the oven compartment to stop the surrounding woodwork from getting too hot . . . . put a built-in oven under a built-in hob and the excess heat from the sides of the oven is removed safely by the moving air.

totalshell

it would be an offence to alter a gas appliance from the manufacturers specification.. and although i ve fitted a zillion i ve never being asked to ‘seal’ one in nor have i ever seen an existing installaion.. so there is your answer..

martinhutch

How big is the gap?

cbike
    Free Member

I dont reckon this exists unless you make it yourself.

What about some alu extrusion? Or Just be tidy when you cook?

Every few months all I do is pull the cooker out and give the sides a quick wipe. Cant say I have ever noticed any manky carnage down there. But my worktop is pretty flush with the sides.

spooky_b329

B&Q sell an aluminium T section designed for joining two worktops. Its about 10mm is 15mm wide and has the rolled front to match the profile of the worktop edge. (I don’t know if they do one for flat edged worktops) If your gap is more than a couple of mm you probably want to silicone it in so it doesn’t rattle about.

I bought a couple of grey finish ones, then carefully filed off a tiny bit from the front profile bit so it fitted flush to the cooker front. (the cooker doesn’t match the profile of the worktop edge)

Works great and looks like its meant to be there.

[/url]
    IMAG0508 by Ollie and Sally, on Flickr[/img]

P.S. My humungous Baked Potato has been in for an hour at 200c, and the wall in the adjoining cupboard has barely warmed so the side of the over can’t be getting that warm. The open side is hand warm, don’t think you’ll find an oven that gets too hot on the sides as kids would burn themselves on it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cooker, kitchen fitting sealing worktop information needed HELP!’ is closed to new replies.