Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Converting to singlespeed
  • dawson

Planning on converting my old bike to single speed for winter duties.

I intend to use my middle ring from my current Deore chainset – do I really need SS specific chainring bolts? Will the existing ones be too long once I have removed the outer ring? (can’t remember the bolt pattern off top of my head – i’m at work)

Other than that, current shopping list is SS specific chain, converter kit with sprocket and spacers and then a tensioner. Oh, and I know I’ll need to grow a beard too… 😉

29erKeith
    Free Member

Yeah you probably need these

and no you don’t really need a SS specific chainring or chain but they’ll do no harm at all

dawson

thanks, had been thinking of just getting the bits from On One, but I now see that CTBM does a complete kit, so might get that instead.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

You could always just add washers to your bolts where the outer ring used to be (or behind the middle ring).

Not pretty but way cheaper than special SS chainring bolts.

curlie467
    Free Member

I just have some washers to space out the original bolts, got a cheap sprocket and spacers and use an old 7 speed rear mech as a tensioner.

dawson

Ta folks. Have ordered the bits – now to start growing the beard!!

boxelder

I used the file the teeth off an old outer ring and leave it on as a bash/chain keeper.

takisawa2

Re: shorter chainring bolts…I stuck an old worn chainring (of the same size) on the outside once, it spent about a year on there before I cut the chainring bolts down. 🙂

curlie467
    Free Member

I still have the granny ring on, CBA to take it off.
    Singlespeed is hilarious though and a lot easier than folks make out. Mine is rigid with v-brakes for extra scariness in the mud.

rossm
    Free Member

I build a single speed winter bike from ebay rubbish. I used the middle ring of a normal triple. I reckon it looks a bit shite if you leave the granny or big ring still on though. I cut the tabs off the big ring and reshaped them into spacers using an angle grinder – worked fine with no need for SS bolts. The skinny middle ring did wear quickly though – it’s mullahed now after a few winters – I would think a proper SS ring will be thicker and stronger – probably reversible half way through the wear too. An SS ring is on my shopping list.

BTW I’m 50 (which is *really* old) and my knees couldn’t cope with just one gear – after trying a 3 speed IGH for a while I’ve moved to an old Nexus 7. The bike is such a horrible old shitter that it doesn’t warrant an Alfine, much less a Rohloff.

Enjoy your winter bike.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Converting to singlespeed’ is closed to new replies.