Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Converting from triple to double chain ring
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Recently swapped from a triple to a double with bash guard. I have a few questions that if someone could help with then it would be fantastic. Its a 9 speed cassette if that makes a difference.

I’m assuming I can keep my old front mech, and just alter the upper limit? Appears to work, or is this not the way to do it?

The chain keeps sliding, do I need to shorten? And how do I know how much to take off (sorry that might be a stupid question, I’m mechanically inept!)

Thanks folks

motox2k
    Free Member

did it slide when it was 3 ring? I cannot see how removing the larger ring could make you chain slip, does it slip on both lower and middle ring?

mrmo
    Free Member

the only reason i can think of for a chain slipping is a worn chainring.

Although if the chain is too long it might bounce around. The chain should be as short as possible, for safety make sure it is long enough to enable the use of the largest sprocket and largest chainring.

To get the length run the chain round the larger chainring, through the rear mech and round the largest sprocket, note the rear mech should be in the right gear, and the rear mech arm should be pulled almost as far forward as possible.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

big to big, not thru the mech plus 2 links works for chain length.

it is best to adjust the stop to prevent shifting to a non existant theird chainring

You might need to fiddle with cable tension to get the mech to sit in the right place in the middle ring. It becomes more critical without the big ring

tpbiker
    Free Member

never happened before…

It seems to come off when I change between the 2 rather than when I’m already in gear. Happens when I shift both up and down (it slips off into the BB), not all the time but 3 times on my last ride, not sure if I need to adjust my mech?

tpbiker
    Free Member

cheers folks, some good ideas, will give it a bash over the weekend and see what happens!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m assuming I can keep my old front mech, and just alter the upper limit? Appears to work, or is this not the way to do it?

If I read that correctly, you’ve already fiddled with the limit screw(s). If it was all right before and now it’s dropping the chain onto the BB, it would suggest you’ve fiddled with the wrong limit screw, you need to dial it in a touch.

tpbiker
    Free Member

i’m pretty sure I only fiddled with the upper limit to stop it pushing into the bashguard.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Converting from triple to double chain ring’ is closed to new replies.