Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • converting AVI's so they can be read by ps3? (mac)
  • scotia
    Free Member

Hello.

Anyone else come across this? I have a bunch of Avi’s that are on my NAS, and i want to play them on the TV via the ps3..but it doesnt see them.

Are there any good (ideally free but if its really good i dont mind paying) converters out there for mac?

I’ve tried googling, but as there are a few and all claim to be the best, i thought i’d ask here..

thanks!

edit – can VLC do something useful with this? I have just noticed that it does have an export feature..

M6TTF
    Free Member

If I remember rightly you just need flip4mac to read avi’s….

IanW
    Free Member

Does the ps3 see some files or non at all?

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Nullriver medialink. It doesn’t convert them, but it is a DNLA compliant media server and it will transcode avi files and stream them in a format compatible with the ps3. You might also try Miro video convertor or Handbrake

tomdebruin
    Free Member
    Kieran

My PS3 plays AVI’s fine

They either need to be in a folder on a memory stick called VIDEO to show up automatically or you can press the green triangle and select view all files to find them.

allthegear
    Free Member

Sounds like you need Handbrake. Lucky for you it is free!!

Rachel

uplink
    Free Member

As above – you shouldn’t need to convert AVIs

scotia
    Free Member

well it doesnt see avi’s atall from the NAS…i tried MPG with that little app factory but the MPG gives a distorted image..

very strange.

Flaperon

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

I use this – haven’t found anything it can’t convert on the fly.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Split the AVI’s, think the PS3 has a 1.5gig file limit.

Drac

Or save the hassle of converting files and use this http://tversity.com/ with your NAS.

scotia
    Free Member

seriously for those who say you shouldnt need to convert them…what am i doing wrong then? They are films in AVi format..i dont actually know if there are many versions of avi or not but its beginning to annoy me this thing and i just got it saturday..

is there a certain setting of avi mpg and mpeg-4 that the ps3 can read??

phiiiiil

AVI is basically just a way of keeping the sound and video together in one file; the video can still be encoded in any number of ways that the PS3 may or may not read.

I’ve used Handbrake to get videos to work on an iPod and an xbox, so I’d second giving that a try…

jon1973
    Free Member

I don’t think TVersity do a Mac version Drac, although it’s a great little package for the PC.

mossimus
    Free Member

Split the AVI’s, think the PS3 has a 1.5gig file limit.

Is this an AVI specific file limit as my PS3 will happilly play 7GB plus files?

Everywhen
    Free Member

AVI is a “wrapper” it could be pretty much any format in the wrapper.
    x-WinFF is a nice free transcoder that works the majority of the time. Free as well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘converting AVI's so they can be read by ps3? (mac)’ is closed to new replies.