Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Convertible Jackets
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

On a recent trip to the Peaks, I popped into 18bikes and saw a rather nice Endura Convert Softshell jacket.

I’m looking for a convertible jacket for year round use and wanted some feedback from owners of these or recommendations for alternatives. Budget sub £100. Cheers 🙂

jwmlee
    Free Member

Two jackets in one. Very handy.

I really like the Gore Alp X Zip off jacket. Bit more than your budget. I got mine from Bike-Discount.com

Also Gore Phantom is good – warmer than the above.

In my experience, quality if worth paying for. They work better, look better and last longer so in the long run they end up being cheaper.

FuzzyWuzzy

Gore Phantom would be my recommendation to based on experience, not tried the Convert myself but didn’t seem as nice when I tried one on briefly in the shop (fit & material-wise).

honourablegeorge

I got the North Face one from Wiggle, was cheaper than the Gore at the time, been very pleased with it, use it without sleeves more than with

druidh
    Free Member

The Convert is more waterproof than the Alp-X which is really only a windstopper.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Another vote for the Gore Alp-X SO Jacket.

£110 on Amazon and worth every penny.

It’s extremely wind proof yet isn’t too warm. Rather than zipping off the sleeves you have use the zips as pit-zips too.
    Good selection of pockets and a few high vis strips in case you use it on the road.

organic355
    Free Member

Slight hijack, but do Gore do a lighter jacketm more like a shell material, which just stops the wind chill, something suitable for the summer thats fairly light weight and vented?

druidh
    Free Member

That Alp-X jacket should do you.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Alp-X is very light but would probably go for a Gillette in summer.

nickswolves
    Free Member

I like the idea of Convert jacket being water resistent too with our unpredictable weather. I’ll go and try one on alongside a Gore if I can to weigh up the options.

Curious on durability of the Convert if there’s any users here?

dantsw13

I bought my gore phantom convertible from Evans sale for £70 2 months ago. Windproof, showerproof, and converts to a nice vest top which doesn’t need an underlayer

shortcut

I have one and it does what it says on the tin really.

Waterproof – not completely but it keeps you warm and moist in really bad weather.
    Wind proof – definitely no issues here in the worst Scotland had to offer (snow and horizontal rain)
    Warm – yeah, you’d want. Layer underneath, two I it’s cold.
    Zip off sleeves – yeah proper ones, gives you a sensible and functional gilet.
    Pockets – plenty

It goes most places in my kit bag and gets used if the weather warrants soft shell.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Cheers Shortcut, always useful to get feedback from someone that owns one than a magazine review

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Convertible Jackets’ is closed to new replies.