Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Conti Mountain King UST
  • Doogie
    Free Member

Interested in these tyres for all year trailriding, I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has used them either the 2.2 or 2.4. Cheers.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I'm pretty luke warm about the Mountain King. The roll pretty quick and make the bike feel pretty lively. But they just don't stand up well in hard and fast cornering.

If you're more of a cautious and general XC kind of rider they'll be alright. But it doesn't take a lot to get the front end washing out in the corners if you're hard and fast.

They're pretty poor in the mud but at least stay fairly clean and clear.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Fine on the back, not so sure about them on the front.

IamSam
    Free Member

came with my bike, used them for two months holed the back so went tubed with it then entered a world of pinch flats so they came off the bike and on to my hard tail.

Really didn't get on with them they seem to have very little grip on most surfaces that have any moisture on. I have a scabby elbow to prove it.

I think there a bit poo.

Doogie
    Free Member

Thanks Gary, I'm possibly looking to put these on my Tracer for all year riding as mentioned. Not good news regarding the mud as we have plenty of that around. Cheers.

z1ppy

I'd agree with Gary's review though am slightly happier with them than his 'lukewarm' comment, definitely no winter tyre though. One thing I do have to comment on though is how fast I've worn out the rear one. Never gone through a rear tyre so fast!

Doogie
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Cheers.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I'm running a 2.4 UST on the back just because it was the only UST tyre I had kicking around when I needed one. It's OK but not great in mud and draggy if you ever go on a road. Pretty good on rocks though and mine doesn't seem to be wearing as fast as Schwalbe's.

badblood
    Free Member

Pro-tection 2.2s are absolutely fine, given them a cany hammering and they make a good all round tire imo.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Never gone through a rear tyre so fast!

Me tooo – I do like them (Pro-tection version) as my last pair were vapours (awful) on a new bike and Fire XC pro's – Think I'm going to try some minnions next IMHO!

chakaping
    Free Member

UST disappointing grip-wise.

Protection compound much better. But rubbish tubeless apparently.

Mole
    Free Member

I'm running 2.2 protection version tubeless on stans.. All is well so far.
    Think the black chilli compound is the key.

heihei

They are pants in the wet. Want to buy my 2,4" UST off me??!!

Rubber Queen 2.2" UST come up same size as 2.4" MK and are much better all round tyres imho.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup sorry mine are tubes not UST so I can't comment on the UST ones. Do they have the black chilli compoound? If not prob explains why they are pantsy. I must say the last 2 sticky MTB events I have just done the MK Protections 2.2. were great!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Oh god I forgot about the wet root performance of them until I had the misfortune to be riding a bike with them on last night.

I'm not sure I've personally ridden a tyre more lethal on wet roots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Conti Mountain King UST’ is closed to new replies.