Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Consumer rights
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

bought a suit from Debernhams arround this time last year, was advised by the shop to buy two pairs of trousers as it will prolong the life of the suit as trousers wear out first and the jacket should last years, sounds fair enough, so I did. The suit was advertised as being suitable for the office monday to friday, and as a saturday night out jacket as well. So you'd presume it would be hard wearing…………..

Fast foreward to May and its my Cousins wedding, get suit dry cleaned but notice that the front has gone all "wobbly", apparently the meterial has come away from the lineing causing the whole thing to lose its shape and take on the appearance of the north atlantic.

So I take it back to the store (now early July as I've been busy) to be told they wont warenty it as its nearly 12 months old (come off it, it was jsut over 10) and they'd only expect a suit to last a year.

Told them I was going to take it up with their head office, who was told that they only warenty suits for 6 months, anything else is wear and tare.

Can anyone tell me where I stand, as at the moment I've got two nearly new pairs of trousers (worn 3-4 weeks each?) and a ruined jacket (6-7 weeks use).

dmiller
    Free Member

you stand topless? 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not much chance with a suit thats 10 months old. Was it like that before the drycleaning?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Maybe "suitable for work Mon to Fri and Sat night out" actually meant the style rather than the hardwearingness of the suit?

I think they might blame the dry cleaners if push comes to shove. The dry cleaners probably have some clause that says they don't accept blame if your clothes come back misshapen.

Alas, it's probably one to put down to experience, but might be worth a shot to the shop managers complaining of the quality of the suit etc., might get something back.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Irrespective of the warranty / guarantee you can expect something you buy to last a reasonable time under the Sale of Goods act. Can't find the specifics with a quick google but you might with a bit more time.

But as with all these things the shop will wriggle like mad to get out of paying anything. Good luck.

EDIT – I bought an expensive designer jacket eight months ago and it's falling apart

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

presume it was good before it went to the cleaners, I'm not in the habit of checking stuff out i the mirror before I send it. It's no too noticable whn you look at it on a hanger, jut when you satand anywhere near a lightsource yu can see the front s completely miss-shapen.

PePPeR

You may be better off claiming against the dry cleaners in the first instance (especially if they are Johnsons or are a member of the cleaners organisation, they will get the jacket checked and produce a report which will tell you either way. If that comes back as it being the material then you have the proof that you need to take it back to the retailer?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Consumer rights’ is closed to new replies.