Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Conjoined cyclepath Q (dog content)
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

As I stopped to allow a dog to wander around on the bike path that’s next to a footpath (North Meadow walkway, Edinburgh) I said “under control please?” to its smiling owner and got a (polite, middle class) earful in return.

She seemed to realise I was on a bike path but thought that she had the right to let her dog wander will nilly on it. This happens a fair bit but the majority of dogs don’t cause a problem.

What’s the collective hive-mind’s thoughts? Do the rights of the cyclist to pedal unimpeded trump those of the dog walker to not give a **** about the cyclist?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Our local policy is under control is on a lead. Extender leads are limited in length. As a former dog owner under control in front of traffic of all types.

ojom
    Free Member

Hmm it’s a hard one. For some reason on the WOL there seems to be a blanket ruling i have never been party too that permits owners to allow their dogs total free reign with no attempt at restraint.

One lady in particular who i understand has had run ins with others off here, will be heard booming ‘thank you for slowing down’ as you approach her at any speed. It’s that kind of passive aggressive posh way that some people have of telling you to do something masked in pseudo politeness.

I asked her if she had a lead for the dog and she shouted after me about being a hooligan. I am a 33 year old warhammer figure painting nerd travelling at about 12mph.

Anyway – back to the LOLOLOP. I would say you have more right to conduct your travelling free from dog interference than they have right to impede you.

p.s. your turn for supper.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered. If dog runs out infront of you in those circumstances and you hit it. Who’s fault?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

In my book you keep to your side and dog walkers keep to theirs (including their dogs) and everyone’s happy. If it’s shared use then taking up both sides is not sharing.

ojom
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered. If dog runs out infront of you in those circumstances and you hit it. Who’s fault?

Owner.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sounds as if she was being very inconsiderate. Dogs should be under control for everyone’s safety (including their’s!)

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF the path in question is on the edge of a decent sized park in central Edinburgh – so folk go there to walk their dogs. I can also sympathise on paths that have become shared, so dog-walkers “were there first”.

I avoid most non-road cycle paths as IME they are full of gormless walkers/dgs/broken bottles.

ps downie how about next November 😛

trail_rat
    Free Member

Get a hornit

Give Abusive posh booming woman dog walkers and wandering dogs a blast.

They will move/ shut up

glupton1976
    Free Member

Is that a park that is full of playing fields for various sports and isnt really a good place fot dogs to be taking a dump? Also – whats with the amount of dogs on busses? And some folk definitely need to realise that their dog doesnt need a seat on the bus….

Del

owner should keep the dog ‘under control’. this is legally defined ( a favourite of TJ’s ) as on the lead, or within 2 strides and coming to call, or something like that.
    i’m a dog owner and always try to keep my hound under control on shared paths. often she’s off the lead, but responds pretty well to being told to stay one side or the other ( so using the surrounding field as well, but staying on the pedestrian side of the path all the time there is anyone nearby and i keep a good watch out ). she’s not perfect, neither am i, but we do pretty good and use ( i think ) common sense.
    if she did cause an accident by running in front of a passing cyclist i would not shrink from taking the responsibility, which legally would be mine anyway.

batman11
    Free Member

As I walk and ride in the same woods I’m very aware of what my dogs doing if I see a bike I get him to wait and hang on to his coller if I see a horse I put him on the lead or as before coller till all is clear. I don’t want him hurt or any one so for me it’s the owners responserbility to sort the pooch out. But that’s my thoughts I just want to spend money on my bikes not him 😉
    Bats.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ride straight at her in the walking bit and ask her if this is ok seing as she seems to think it sok for her dog to this on your side

Repeat till you have hit one of them 😉
    In reality the dog owner shoudl let you go about your way inhindered as should a cyclist

When someone clearly does not GAS just deal with it however you see fit as it is most unlikey you will change their mind whatever you do.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Del- I think if I were to see you and your dog I’d be happy even if it did ‘get in my way’, because you’d have made an effort- bit of mutual respect and all that.
    Usually though it’s a baleful glare while making no attempt to show a bit of consideration or common courtesy.

phil.w
    Free Member

These threads aren’t the same without TJ. 😥

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What you mean still on page 1.

The only other one is to offensively polite. I’m terribly sorry I hope I didn’t worry your dog it’s so hard for him to know he’s running allover the cycle path

headfirst
    Free Member

My step-dad went over the bars when a dog ran out in front of him on a road through Windsor Park. He cracked and bruised ribs and messed his face up. To cut a long story short, due to the obnoxious attitude of the lady dog-owner, he ended up several months later receiving a cheque from said lady for a couple of thousand quid. He gave it to charity as he doesn’t need an extra couple of grand! (he didn’t ask me if I wanted it 😥 )

taxi25
    Free Member

“under control please?”

However right you might be, saying this to just about any dog owner is going to come accross as being a bit pompous. you should try riding down the Taff trail in Cardiff, you’d be in a slanging match every 100yds. Most dog owners will never accept that a dog just wandering about a bit isn’t under control.

rocketman
    Free Member

Witnessed a bit of an altercation at the weekend. Was riding down a fairly narrow bridleway with a couple of female dog owners on one side and a short, stocky dog halfway up the hillside on the other.

I thought there might be a bit of a situation in the offing so I eased off as the owner called to her dog who didn’t really respond so I carried on

A bloke on a bike I’d just passed on the way up the hill (I didn’t know him but we were only going slow so we passed the time of day) followed me on the descent and I imagine by this time the dog had responded to its owner and run across the other bloke’s path. I heard him shout “Stupid f**king dog!” to which the owner shouted “Stupid f**king biker!” and what seemed like a heated argument ensued

The shouting faded away as I descended the hillside but I thought how quickly things can turn sour 🙁

butcher

On shared paths I think you should always give way to people and their pets. Of course, it’s always appreciated when when they get their dogs under control to let you pass, but it’s not the M1 and they have every right to share the same space and feel safe doing so.

Bike specific paths, particularly those around cities, are often badly designed and widely ignored. They should be properly segregated. It’s a structural problem and people don’t make the distinction between something designed to walk on being cycled on because of a handful of signs dotted about says so. And in some respects you can’t expect them to, in which case some of the former about shared paths applies.

If you want to go unimpeded the road is your best bet, where you’ll be treated by cars as pedestrians are treated by cyclists 😉

Rio

What’s the collective hive-mind’s thoughts?

Never mind the collective hive-mind’s thoughts – the Highway Code is quite clear about this:

Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists or horse riders.

Not that I expect dog owners to take any notice of this of course. 😕

cupra
    Free Member

If I’m not walking on the shared path but the dog is does it still need to be on a short lead? 😉

D0NK

Dogs should be under control at all times when out in public shouldn’t they. ie on a short lead or respond to commands* (sit/stay/come here)

I commute on a shared use path, get mixed responses when I announce my presence, some will keep hold of their dogs, some don’t give a shit, even had a dog walker who was already on the edge of the wide track hear me shout hello and step off the track, completely ignoring the fact their mutt is running all over the place unchecked.

My step-dad went over the bars when a dog ran out in front of him on a road through Windsor Park

Guy at work was riding on a cycle track next to a path, walker stood on the path, just as he was passing the walker suddenly (and presumably needlessly) called their dog who was hidden messing about in the undergrowth, dog ran out in front of cyclist, he hit it, crashed, badly broke his arm, couldn’t get up, walker buggered off. Eventually got his fone out of his bag/pocket, ambulance, few days in hospital, no chance of identifying the walker.

*even if you had a very well behaved dog are you sure you’d trust it off the lead near a road/cyclepath?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

but it’s not the M1 and they have every right to share the same space and feel safe doing so.

Absolutely. But for me the key word is ‘sharing’ and letting their dog do as it pleases and stuff everybody else isn’t sharing in my book.

cupra
    Free Member

*even if you had a very well behaved dog are you sure you’d trust it off the lead near a road/cyclepath?

Yes, my two are never on the lead on the pavement. Occasionaly call them to wait and taken hold of there collar as required. Only the long passed terrier ever was on a lead but they are barking 🙂

phinw
    Free Member

I’m generally pretty laid back about this, as we all have to share the paths. What really does get my goat is the extendable leads where the dog is half a mile away and the lead is basically blocking the path for bikes, peds and anyone and everything else. They really are the worst invention in the hands of the ignorant/dozy.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Conjoined cyclepath Q (dog content)’ is closed to new replies.