Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Really nice place to eat in Birmingham
  • lesoxdh
    Free Member

Hi all. Mrs lesoxdh and myself are of to Birmingham for 3 days for our anniversary. Can any one recommend a really really nice restaurant within central Birmingham.

Thank you.

Scamper
    Free Member

Not central brum or restaurants, but say for lunch time, Harborne a bus fare away has a few nice pubs with great food – try The Plough, New Inn or Junction.

I_Ache
    Free Member

This place is really nice if you like Italian.

Home

Not been here but my MIL loves it.

http://www.carluccios.com/

And Malmaison is good too.

http://www.malmaison.com/

EDIT:

There is a good selection of places in Selfridges too. Very busy and you sit in the open which can really add to the experience depending on which one you eat at.

http://www.selfridges.com/en/StaticPage/BirminghamRestaurantGuide/?msg=

captain-slow
    Free Member

Simpsons in edgbaston if you are pushing the boat out – ten minute taxi drive from city center, but well worth it

peterfile
    Free Member

Another vote for Carluccios

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Jamie has a place in city centre, the old Borders book store.
    Simpsons or Purnells just out of city, both Michelin star and pricey but great.

rewski
    Free Member

Purnells is supposed to be proper yummy

lunge

In the city centre:

Purnells – Wonderful, incredible food but not cheap and you have to book a long way in advance
    The Asquith – Purnells bar that still does some amazing food
    Opus – Good quality, fine dining, great service and not as popular or expensive (or arguably as good) as Purnells.
    Anderson Bar and Grill – Great grill place, not overly formal but really good
    Cote, Mail Box – A chain but one of the better ones and a good option if can’t get in at some of the others
    Ikon Gallery – Casual tapas type dining, quite relaxed but good food

Edit.
    San Carlo – Top class Italian food but not cheap.
    Lasan – Indian food done a little differently, very good and very popular. They won The F Word a few years ago.

lesoxdh
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies so far. We have already planned to go to Ed’s Dinner in Selfridges. Also we live in Milton Keynes so we already have a Jamies and a Carluccios. Really looking for a 1 off restaurant to have a special night.

Thanks.

mauronappolini
    Free Member

Piccilino in Brindley place is amazing, both times i have been there the food was impecable with great service and atmosphere.

colournoise

If you can bear the cost and get a table booked then Purnell’s is awesome.

curvature
    Free Member

Not necessarily different but Ashers is one of the best Indian restaurants that I have ever been to.

Ashers

Not cheap but well worth the visit.

Haze

Oliver’s place is crap, avoid.

saleem
    Free Member

Turners, Purnells,Simpsons, Loves, Lasan,San Carlo and there’s a nice Thai place out the back of the Bull Ring, you could always take a twenty minute train ride down to Leamington Spa and go to Malory Court.

lunge

If it is that 1 special meal and you have got the spare £££’s Purnells will blow you away. You’ll need to either be lucky or book a good 3 months in advance though.

watermatt

Loves is pretty easy to get into and their english wines/ english food set menu is decent.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Forgot about simpsons, I havnt been to the Edgbaston one but one near Warwick. My only visit to a Michelin Star restaurant ended up with me having faggots and chips, hmmmm lovely.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Wherever David Cameron isn’t.

bails

Been to Piccolinos, service was abysmal and the food was fine but not great.

Cielo is much better, it feels much more expensive than it is.

Jamie’s is pap, avoid.

Thai Edge, in the same square as Piccolinos and Cielo is good, as is the tapas place in Ikon gallery, but that’s probably a bit informal.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Really nice place to eat in Birmingham’ is closed to new replies.