Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Confused by a chain, eh?
  • simonb512
    Free Member

Ok.

I recently bought a chain from a certain online retailer (KMC 11speed).
    Received it two days later, great fantastic.

What really confused me is that it was a sealed package, yet the split links were missing and one end was just the outer plates. So I had a whinge and they sent me some new split links. Came to fit the chain and surprise surprise the chain already had links removed, in fact too many links were already removed. so it’s useless.

How the heck does that happen? That’s what I’m struggling with at the moment.

I’ve bought another from elsewhere as I need a chain as soon as, and I’m dealing with said retailer to sort it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fitted to complete bike that was then stripped for bits rather than sold cheaply ….

allthepies
    Free Member

returned item, repackaged ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I guess a mistake was made, I can’t say I haven’t.

simonb512
    Free Member

See thats what I thought, but as the package was sealed that is what confused me. Though I suppose a piece of tape doesnt really mean sealed.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Sounds like a pretty clever chain to me. 😉

simonb512
    Free Member

Now retailer are asking me to fill in a warranty claim rather than a return? Why would it be warranty if I’ve not able to use the damn thing?

Good times, good times…

DezB
    Free Member

My brother got one like that from Woolly Hat Shop. Wasn’t them was it?

rootes1

did they state the number of links on the advert/products details?

druidh
    Free Member

You don’t need a warranty claim. Distance Selling Regulations should cover it.

simonb512
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    My brother got one like that from Woolly Hat Shop. Wasn’t them was it?

Nope, I used WHS once and not had a problem. This is the infamous… The big blue one (as opposed to the orange one). I know I could just say it but I dont want to make it apparent until I give them the opportunity to sort it.

rootes1 – Member
    did they state the number of links on the advert/products details?

Nope doesnt say on the website, but it does state how many on the box, and thats not the mount I have.

druidh – Member
    You don’t need a warranty claim. Distance Selling Regulations should cover it.

Yup, so I’m just sending it back as a normal return, and I’m preparing for battle. As I’m sure they’ll suggest it’s all me and I just took too many links off. If you’ve seen how ham fisted I am you’d know it wasn’t me, plus I dont even have a 11speed chain tool yet.

wwaswas

sounds like it was an OEM job supplied shortened to the requested number of links.

as above – distance sellign regs, not warranty.

Out of interest how many links off standard retail packaged is it?

rootes1

Nope doesnt say on the website, but it does state how many on the box, and thats not the mount I have.

In that case send it back as faulty item – what is in the box is not what the box/product says.

FuzzyWuzzy

CRC do sometimes sell shortened chains cheaper but if that wasn’t stated on the web page then you should just get a standard length (114 links?) so yeah I’d just send it back.

phiiiiil

I had a sealed shimano hub that had the wrong brake disc lock ring on it – it had the one for a QR hub rather than the 15mm hub it was part of, so the only way to tighten it up would have been with molegrips.

I presumed it was a mixup during initial assembly rather than any unscrupulous bike shop parts pilfering.

sugdenr
    Free Member

easjet flight from spain to uk. Bussed to plane in middle of tarmac, handed pushchair to man standing at stair to plane, as did 6 others. On other side of aircraft we could see the luggage being loaded.

Never saw the pram again, same for 6 others. Luggage arrived fine.

I asked the same question – HTF could that happen. All he had to do was walk round the plane and put them in!

simonb512
    Free Member

Just a quick update.

Sent the chain back to CRC. First response I had back offered a refund.
    All sorted.

Now my latest confusion is caused by my Bank, sent me a letter with my ACC details on etc telling me I went over on an overdraft for 26days. Which is odd as I dont have an overdraft and I have never got close to emptying said account since it has been opened.

Phoned them and apparently by the end of the call they were insistent that it was a badly worded advert for an overdraft. Eh?

DezB
    Free Member

Is this the place for random anecdotes?

simonb512
    Free Member

It could be.

Don’t see why not.

Besides I’m having a bad day and having a rant in a irrelevant thread made me feel a little better.

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, I don’t think I could beat sugdenr’s randomness.
    But did you know ‘2 Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps Please’ was actually the second track on the b-side of ‘Simon Templar’ by Splodgenessabounds? The first track on the b-side was ‘Michael Booth’s Talking Bum’.

Cougar

Elton John’s middle name is Hercules.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Confused by a chain, eh?’ is closed to new replies.