Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Concussion…….Any experiences?
  • WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

Hi,

I had a mtb crash pre-Crimbo which resulted in concussion and a trip to the hospital. I'm still feeling a tad bruised, mentally more than physically. Has anyone else had the same thing happen and how did you feel in the weeks after the accident?

ta,

andy

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hungover.
    Actually I had 3 concussions in about 6 weeks-my first season snowboarding.Lesson learnt,never speed check before big booters.
    Concussion is basically a bruised brain,brains are funny things at the best of times and you only get one…look after it!

slowjo
    Free Member

Concussion… I have had concussion more times than I can remember though not recently. Years of battering my head on the rugby pitch ending up in hospital for 3 days with a cracked skull finished my rugby career before it had really got going.

To be honest with you, I can't really remember how I felt, it seemed to vary from dazed, battered, sick, headachy and generally crap. The worst time as a kid ( I cracked my head while farting about on a frozen pond in break time) I wandered around school for an afternoon with no concept of time, no idea where I was or who anyone was. It was pretty pants.

It just always sort of went away… it really was that vague. Every time was different and every recovery was different too.

Rorschach
    Free Member

See…slowjo.Still feeling the after effects!!! ;0)

Diawl
    Free Member

Felt sick every time I had the tiniest amount of alcohol. Lasted about 4 weeks. Probably a good idea to abstain from driving too.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

I got a nasty concussion riding in Canada this summer. I put a deep dent in my lid and threw up a bit when I came too. I felt a bit wonky for the rest of the day but physically OK the day after. The next ride was a bit nervous at first but I soon got back into it.
    The thing to do is get back on the bike as soon as possible and not over think it. Wear the crash as a badge of honnour, that you were riding hard enough to test your limits. At the end of the day this isn't motor racing, we rarely get above about 20mph and it's very unlikely that your gonna kill yourself. A broken collar bone or the odd concussion is as bad as it gets for the vast majority of mountain bikers. I think it's worth sacrificing a few brain cells for the soprt we love.
    Hope this helps.

Clembo
    Free Member

I had a bad crash in the summer, about a week before my wife gave birth! I was not popular.

Just take your time. My first ride after recovering, I went straight to the bit where I fell off and nearly did it again! I thought I needed to confront the trail but I wish I'd just done an easy ride instead. I'm just starting to get back into the swing of things. Having a baby has made me realise I need to be more careful.

Just take it easy when you decide to get back on the bike.

brumsgrove
    Free Member

Can't remember…

jam-bo

30mph off a skateboard onto tarmac with no lid. lost about 12 hours before and 48hrs after is pretty sketchy.

couldn't stay stood upright for about a month,

couldn't balance properly for about 6 months.

jedi

i usually feel swimmy and sicky. makes riding a challenge for a while 🙂 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Depends how serious the concussion is. Ive had concussion from falling off my bmx before, but only mild so I had a little bit of memory loss and felt a bit dazed for a few hours.

I got concussed badly about 6 weeks ago, and I cant remember the accident and I also lost about 3 days afterwards aswell. For about 2 to 3 weeks afterwards I flet a bit dazed and had headaches in the morning. Everyday tasks felt strange. I had bleeding in my skull so i guess it was quite serious

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

knocked myself out riding in an urban park (Otterspool) as a student in liverpool. Rode home (dont remember any of the journey) and "came to" when I walked into my kitchen and the smell of bleach hit me (yes a cleaned student digs!).

Got taxi to A+E. Nurse mentioned it being winter (it was summer) and I agreed as I had no idea of the day or date. Could remember old stuff like the address of my family GP though.

They sent me home (hmmm in retrospect) and I got a taxi. Asked the driver to drive around in case I recognised anything as I couldnt remember my address and fair play the cabbie was very accommodating (pretty sure he waived most of the fare as he could see I was a mess).

took a long time for the memory of the crash to come back but still dont remember the ride home. Scarey stuff.

Pigface
    Free Member

Managed to rack up 5 big concussions in about 12 months, the last one lasted about a week. Cant remember a thing about that week at all. Got driven home from work after answering the phone and just holding it to my ear. Didnt know I went to work. If you slammed hard it can take a couple of days to shake it off. Sounds like you have the fear rather than any longterm concussion problems.

You become more susceptible to it with more bangs on the head.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

last time was when i hit my head on a friends low ceiling sprinting to use his bog – didn't notice the concussion (cos i was concussed ?!?) at first , next dayat work couldn't string a conversation together and was writing total rubbish in emails etc. spent the next 3 days with no concept of time – which was god as doctor advised no reading and no tv. just sat staring out of window

had it a few times before as a result of mtb crashes – most notably on the Mary Townley Loop when I split a Giro Xen in half. Ihad photos of reservoirs on my camera but absolutely no recollection of passing/seeing/taking pictures of them. apparently mymate kept asking me my name and as long as i could answer correctly he presumed i was OK.

been knocked out cold too a few times whilst competing in MMA when I wasa bit younger – totally different. not fun and real incentive to train harder and make sure you win next time and/or hang up the gloves

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Don't think I've been quite the same since I hit the side of my head in a high-speed crash at Penmachno 3 years ago. Or it could be age.

duckman

Had quite a few playing rugby and boxing,stay off the drink! Take things easy for a while fella.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Concussion does wierd and wonderful things! be careful and if anything ain't quite right get it checked out.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Concussion…….Any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.