Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Computer help please!
  • Reluctant
    Free Member

Something seems to have got past my Microsoft Security Essentials. Running a scan tells me it’s all ok, but I’m getting pop up sh”! telling me to upgrade and asking for payment. MSE history shows “Rogue:Win32/Fake Rean” and says the threat is removed, but it’s still on going. Anybody have any info on how to remove this and stop it happening again please? Cheers!

spacemonkey

Somebody will surely come along soon with an answer.

In the meantime, I’d recommend posting on Tech Support Forum. It might take 24hrs before anyone responds but when they do they really know their sh1t.

Cougar

Yuk. Horrible. Good luck.

Have a look here for an overview. http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2010/03/09/win32-fakerean-is-33-rogues-in-1.aspx

In seriousness, I’d recommend going to BleepingComputer or one of the other malware expert sites for this.

If you want to stay here, here’s what we do.

Copy this into Notepad, then save it as ‘fix.reg’ (have ‘all files’ selected so that you don’t end up with fix.reg.txt’).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @=”exefile”
    “Content Type”=”application/x-msdownload”

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @=”\”%1\” %*”

Download rkill and run it. A clean PC and a USB key would help.

Download MalwareBytes, install, update, run.

See where we are from there.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies chaps………… think i might need some professional help with this one 😥

andyfla
    Free Member

Malwarebytes always works for me , or adaware by lavasoft or spybot search and destroy

have fun !

Reluctant
    Free Member

Think I’ve sussed it – downloaded Malwarebytes and killed it………….so far! Thanks very much for replies. Any ideas on future prevention? 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Computer help please!’ is closed to new replies.