Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Computer help
  • jcromton
    Free Member

Hi,

Is there any sort of software that can automatically back up a folder to a web place. Or even manually. For example so I can work on something at home, then go somewhere else and have access to it and also have it backed up?

Cheers

Chris

simonfbarnes
    Free Member
    schrickvr6
    Free Member

What's wrong with a pen drive?

There are plenty of online storage providers and I think most of the larger ISPs are providing this service now…at a cost.

Cheers

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What's wrong with a pen drive?

nothing, I'd use both 🙂 But Zumo is handy as it's automatic and harder to lose or forget. Zumo gives you up to 2GB for free.

jcromton
    Free Member

I do use a pen drive. Just I'm sometimes prone to losing/forgetting it.

Cheers, this looks like a winner. It's just for my dissertation .tex file so 2GB is more than enough.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i email myself everything, even if its just saved as a draft.

dunno if it will work for your bigger maths stuff though….

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Ah that's good to know it's free upto 2gb, will have to have a look.

DM52
    Free Member

If you have a hotmail account I think you will automatically have an MS SkyDrive account as well. 25gb of free space is not to be sniffed at. I have recently started using it to backup photos and other bits and pieces using http://www.gladinet.com/ to monitor my source directories and upload them. The downsides are is if you are uploading a large amount it is pretty slow, my initial backup I left overnight, performance obviously depends on the speed of your connection. I think there is also a 50mb files size limit as well.

Gladinet will also connect to different 'clouds' so it could give you pointer to an online storage area that might fit your needs.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you have a hotmail account I think you will automatically have an MS SkyDrive account as well. 25gb of free space is not to be sniffed at

yes, I have that too, but apart from Office Live there doesn't seem to be an automatic upload facility – though there are so many options it's hard to tell!

jcromton
    Free Member

This zumo stuff looks great.

Quick question though: do I need to open my files from it, or can I still open from then and save in my usual location and they'll automatically be updated in the z drive?

verses

The IT press were gushing about DropBox lately, I've not used it but it should do what you want.

jam-bo

dropbox is ace. a free, 2GB, automatically synced folder on my work PC, home iMac and Iphone.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

or can I still open from then and save in my usual location and they'll automatically be updated in the z drive?

it's up to you – you can open them directly from the virtual drive with your app, or if I recall properly, you can 'publish' selected local folders onto it as well

spokebloke
    Free Member

+1 for dropbox – I even paid for the 50gb version.

DM52
    Free Member

yes, I have that too, but apart from Office Live there doesn't seem to be an automatic upload facility – though there are so many options it's hard to tell!

That is where the Gladinet program sorts you out. Alternatively you can run the SykDrive IE plugin that allows drag and drop into the webpage to upload files.

jcromton
    Free Member

Dropbox = zumodrive?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Dropbox = zumodrive?

similar but not identical

jcromton
    Free Member

Cool, think I'll just stick with zumodrive.

Thank you very much for all your help.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

I use Dropbox. It's good.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Computer help’ is closed to new replies.